Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Flyertalk Cares
Reload this Page >

Give Blood. It may save a life...YOURS!

Give Blood. It may save a life...YOURS!

Old Apr 6, 2015, 7:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM (LT-PLT, PPro for this year)
Whole blood, last week. Bad stick, still have the bruise. I'll still be back over the summer sometime.
Old Apr 19, 2015, 3:49 pm

Programs: UA/HH/Marriott Gold
6 minutes 1 second to fill the bags today--not a record, but hey, I'll take it.
Hematocrit at the cutoff again, though, so it's time to rejig the diet a bit and perhaps take some more of those iron pills that are sitting on my kitchen counter.
Old May 10, 2015, 10:37 pm
Suspended

Hello dhammer53, You are really doing a good job. But i have iron level 14 and 15.Donating blood is very good job. I am donating blood after 3 months. I like this and also tell others for donating blood. Now my family member is also doing this job.
Old May 11, 2015, 1:29 pm

Wow, just found this thread, I have to say I'm impressed. Its good to see that as many people as there are who make the world sound like its full of doom-and-gloom, there are still those who serve people they'll likely never even meet. As for me, I went to give blood once when I was 18 because a girl I like talked me into going with her. All I remember was seeing my finger get pricked, the technician got his drop of blood, and next thing I know I wake up on the floor sweating. I still haven't got the courage to go back
Old May 14, 2015, 12:31 am

It's been far too long....I've got no excuse...need to get out there and donate.
Old May 15, 2015, 8:22 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

It's always nice to see how many people are willing to donate blood, especially because it's not always something other than regular blood donors think about..even though it's such a necessity.

Last year at my children's school, there was a boy in kindergarten who was battling leukemia and they had a blood drive in the multi-purpose room. I was so happy to see it was not only PACKED, but that it motivated folks such as myself to give because the opportunity presented itself and that the need hit close to home.

I have a rare blood type A Rh Neg and and I really should make an effort to be more diligent about donation.

Last edited by Martina70; May 16, 2015 at 12:11 am
Old May 17, 2015, 3:37 pm
Senior Moderator and Moderator: American AAdvantage & TravelBuzz

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
Just gave platelets this afternoon. With the nice weather outside, looked to be a pretty slow day at the Red Cross.

Decided to watch Guardians of the Galaxy even though I'd already seen it on a plane. (It happens to be 2 hours 1 minute, which perfect timing as it's almost exactly how long I'm hooked up. ^)
Old Jun 8, 2015, 2:59 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Donating blood as we speak

Pint #: 92
BP: 111/75
Pulse: 78
Blood Type: Red
Old Jun 8, 2015, 6:59 pm

Originally Posted by goalie
Donating blood as we speak

Pint #: 92
BP: 111/75
Pulse: 78
Blood Type: Red
^

A couple of my doctors have discouraged me from donating so often given my low-ish iron levels (I've been just squeaking in at the cutoff lately). Now how will I get my Popcorners fix?
Old Jun 8, 2015, 7:35 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by Calcifer
^

A couple of my doctors have discouraged me from donating so often given my low-ish iron levels (I've been just squeaking in at the cutoff lately). Now how will I get my Popcorners fix?
Rx is hubby takes you to/cooks an iron filled meal 24 hours before
Old Jun 19, 2015, 5:31 am

Originally Posted by goalie
Rx is hubby takes you to/cooks an iron filled meal 24 hours before
Unfortunately Rx is massive doses of iron pills until I get my iron stores back up! The labs were bad... Apparently I have enough in my blood to squeak by on donating (especially if I take iron pills the week before), but very little in reserves. So it's time for a little break from the blood center.
Old Jun 22, 2015, 11:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA Million Miler (lite). NY Metro area.
Originally Posted by Analise
For those who have given blood, if I may, I'd like to ask a few questions.

How long does it take to give blood? While I know this sounds lame, I'll ask anyway. How painful is it? I must admit, I'm a bit scared of needles. Is it better to go to a hospital or to the local Red Cross? Is there a third alternative? I do not know my blood type; will they require I know it in advance?
OP here. This is a good question. I prefer to give at a local hospital instead of a blood bank (ie the Red Cross). Why? Well, the Red Cross charges the hospital for the blood. My local hospital tells me that it costs them about $200 to buy a pint, where it only cost them about $40 in supplies if I donate at the hospital. I would ask those of you donating blood to do so at a hospital.

Is it painful? It's a little pinch for a second or two.

The hospital will mail you a card with your blood type.

Every so often, the NY Yankees offer free tickets to a ballgame if you give blood.

Time for me to give.

dh
Old Jun 24, 2015, 8:42 am

11 minutes, 30 seconds for me yesterday.

Personal (low) score! :-:
Old Jun 27, 2015, 7:41 am
Suspended

Oh, its not that bad then.. Was expecting it to take like 30 minutes and +
Old Jul 5, 2015, 6:11 pm

Programs: DL Gold, DL MM 8/22/16!
Not proud of these, but have to admit they are motivations #2, #3 and #4 for my blood donations. And every little bit of motivation helps.

#2 - the pre-donation check amounts to a quick free simple physical.

#3 - an instant loss of one pound! Yeah, I know one's body will quickly replace it, but the idea still helps.

#4 - the post-donation cookies and juice. Which of course sort of negates #3.
_______

Of course the #1 reason is it is simply the right thing to do.

Romelle

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.