Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Give Blood. It may save a life...YOURS!

Search this Thread

Old Jun 4, 2014, 3:58 am

Programs: QF Plat, VA Plat, BA Gold
Originally Posted by Calcifer
Dengue?! Nasty stuff.... Hope the blood bank doesn't run into any shortages as a result.
LOL Dengue outbreak here means (1-2 cases :P). I asked them and they said that blood donations from other centers would have to be flown up for stock.

NY Blood Center just sent me an email that they're devaluing their points program. I'm surprised I haven't seen a thread about it on FT already.
WHAT?! you get points for donating?! Thats pretty cool.
Old Jun 4, 2014, 9:44 am

Programs: DL-Dirt Medallion;US-Cast Iron Preferred; HH-Gold; Avis First
Originally Posted by im.daniel
NY Blood Center just sent me an email that they're devaluing their points program. I'm surprised I haven't seen a thread about it on FT already.
WHAT?! you get points for donating?! Thats pretty cool.
Don't most blood centers offer some kind of incentive? Here in central Florida, it's normally a $10 gift card from one of a dozen or so places. They regularly run $20 GC promotions for O neg, not sure about other types.
Old Jun 8, 2014, 7:04 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
Originally Posted by djk7
Don't most blood centers offer some kind of incentive? Here in central Florida, it's normally a $10 gift card from one of a dozen or so places. They regularly run $20 GC promotions for O neg, not sure about other types.
Ours typically offer an entry into a drawing for a $500 gift card somewhere, and usually give out some sort of cheesy promo like a shirt or reusable shopping bag.
Old Jun 8, 2014, 12:05 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Mine offers things like SF Giants' T-Shirts, 15%-25% off certs for Sports Basement and a $50 dining credit to Hornblower crusies
Old Jun 8, 2014, 6:56 pm

Programs: UA/HH/Marriott Gold
In the NY Blood Center version, you accumulate points that are good towards a variety of things, but to get actual "stuff" you'd really have to donate a lot--I went for the movie theater gift card (looking forward to date night with the hubs using my "blood money"). Lately they have been having all sorts of promos for platelets and other products I can't do with free jackets/sweatshirts etc.
Old Jun 8, 2014, 8:48 pm

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
In the NY Blood Center version, you accumulate points that are good towards a variety of things, but to get actual "stuff" you'd really have to donate a lot--I went for the movie theater gift card (looking forward to date night with the hubs using my "blood money&quot. Lately they have been having all sorts of promos for platelets and other products I can't do with free jackets/sweatshirts etc.
I forgot about that as The Blood Centers of The Pacific also have a points program where line you, I've gone to the movies as well
Old Jun 8, 2014, 9:50 pm

At the Red Cross site I donated at, they'd occasionally have coupons from Dunkin Donuts or Cumberland Farms for a pound of coffee or a lunch pack. Also did get a t-shirt once.
Old Jun 10, 2014, 9:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA Million Miler (lite). NY Metro area.
This thread is still active, after 11 + years on Flyertalk. ^
It's great that posters are still donating blood. Last week I donated another pint of A-.

FYI, please donate at hospitals. That saves them big dollars of not buying blood from the blood banks and the Red Cross.
Old Jun 11, 2014, 8:25 am

Originally Posted by dhammer53
It's great that posters are still donating blood. Last week I donated another pint of A-.

FYI, please donate at hospitals. That saves them big dollars of not buying blood from the blood banks and the Red Cross.
Yes ^, Yes ^ and I didn't know that so it looks like I'm gonna have to re-consider where I donate
Old Jun 11, 2014, 9:15 am

Programs: DL-Dirt Medallion;US-Cast Iron Preferred; HH-Gold; Avis First
Originally Posted by dhammer53

As far as I can tell, local hospitals here don't have facilities for donors, they direct you to the local blood bank. In one case, one location of a local hospital chain rents space to the blood bank for a donation center.
Old Jun 25, 2014, 12:43 pm

Donating blood as we speak

Pint #: 89
BP: 129/77
Pulse: 73
Blood Type: Red
Old Jun 29, 2014, 12:06 am
Senior Moderator and Moderator: American AAdvantage & TravelBuzz

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
Well, I'm slowly getting over my phobia/disdain of the Amicus (double-needle) machines. Went in this morning to give another 3 units of platelets.

(For me, if I'm on a single-needle machine, it takes about 120 minutes to give a double. On the double-needle machines, I can usually give a triple in about 110-115 minutes. ^)
Old Jul 3, 2014, 2:31 am

Programs: Aadvantage Gold
You don't get anything in the UK for donating blood (except a cup of tea and a couple of biscuits ).

I haven't been able to donate for six months due to a trip to Thailand last December but have my 10th donation booked in for the beginning of August.

Not bad for someone with a needle phobia.
Old Jul 4, 2014, 10:24 pm
Senior Moderator and Moderator: American AAdvantage & TravelBuzz

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Cassie55
Not bad for someone with a needle phobia.
^ Kudos to you! :-::-::-:
Old Jul 5, 2014, 3:25 am

Programs: QF Plat, VA Plat, BA Gold
Tried to donate today, the nurse overshot the vein and the machine stopped 1 minute into the donation

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.