Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Flyertalk Cares
Reload this Page >

Give Blood. It may save a life...YOURS!

Give Blood. It may save a life...YOURS!

Old Apr 13, 2012, 12:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM (LT-PLT, PPro for this year)
Originally Posted by kipper
If you don't mind sharing, why have you opted not to be an organ and tissue donor?
I'd be happy to debate this in more length in OMNI/PR, but in really short form:
1) I've got too many ethical qualms about how the medical community applies the criteria for "death" and "brain death" in organ donation, and the accompany risk (though very small) of accelerating my own death. This would apply to any tissue donation done before full cardiac death.

2) My impression is that most forms of tissue donation are done after full cardiac death, but unlike blood donation (which is lifesaving, and well-regulated), many of these products are less clearly lifesaving and represent a less clearly well-regulated, for-profit industry.

Similarly, I'd like to think I'd have the strength to refuse a non-live organ donation even if lifesaving, and I've actually been in a position to frustrate my doctor by saying I would not accept a human tissue product where she thought it would be better for surgery than using an autologous graft.

Neither of these objections apply to a close family member for whom I might be a match needed a live donation (kidney or liver lobe,) nor blood donation, nor bone marrow donation.
Old Apr 13, 2012, 2:00 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
Originally Posted by nkedel
I'd be happy to debate this in more length in OMNI/PR, but in really short form:
1) I've got too many ethical qualms about how the medical community applies the criteria for "death" and "brain death" in organ donation, and the accompany risk (though very small) of accelerating my own death. This would apply to any tissue donation done before full cardiac death.

2) My impression is that most forms of tissue donation are done after full cardiac death, but unlike blood donation (which is lifesaving, and well-regulated), many of these products are less clearly lifesaving and represent a less clearly well-regulated, for-profit industry.

Similarly, I'd like to think I'd have the strength to refuse a non-live organ donation even if lifesaving, and I've actually been in a position to frustrate my doctor by saying I would not accept a human tissue product where she thought it would be better for surgery than using an autologous graft.

Neither of these objections apply to a close family member for whom I might be a match needed a live donation (kidney or liver lobe,) nor blood donation, nor bone marrow donation.
I'm not looking to debate, just was curious as to why you felt that way. Thanks for sharing, and I understand your views.
Old Apr 17, 2012, 1:17 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, National Executive
I wish I could once again give blood.

Sadly I lived in Germany in the early-mid 90s and the American Red Cross has deemed me unclean. Something about the possibility of Mad Cow Disease.
Old Apr 22, 2012, 4:59 pm

Programs: QF LTG, Velocity FF Red, HH Diamond, PC Platinum Ambassador, UA Nothing
I'm on a 5 year moratorium after having had Prostate cancer. About 2.5 to go!
Old Jun 8, 2012, 12:47 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Donating blood as we speak

Pint# 79
Pulse 76
BP 118/65
Blood type red

Next donation is a 10 Gallon Hat

Edited to add: My 22,000th post

Last edited by goalie; Jun 8, 2012 at 2:30 pm Reason: Added post milestone
Old Jun 8, 2012, 1:06 pm

Thanks for reminding me that I have my next appointment scheduled for a week and a half from now.
Old Jun 8, 2012, 1:19 pm

Programs: DL-Dirt Medallion;US-Cast Iron Preferred; HH-Gold; Avis First
Originally Posted by goalie
Early congrats on the 10 gallon. My next donation will take me to 5, but I don't really need another pin to go in the junk drawer with the 3 and 4 gallon ones. I think something a nice pint glass would be appropriate, since that would give an exact refill for how much they take
Old Jun 8, 2012, 2:30 pm

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by djk7
Early congrats on the 10 gallon. My next donation will take me to 5, but I don't really need another pin to go in the junk drawer with the 3 and 4 gallon ones. I think something a nice pint glass would be appropriate, since that would give an exact refill for how much they take
^ and it would then be nice to fill said pint glass with a pint of one's favorite beer, ale or stout
Old Jun 8, 2012, 3:30 pm

^ and it would then be nice to fill said pint glass with a pint of one's favorite beer, ale or stout
Great minds think alike!
Old Jun 8, 2012, 11:48 pm

Location: IAD, and sometimes OMNI/PR. Currently: not far from IAD, but home will always be SAN (not far from the "touch my junk and I'll have you arrested" Memorial TSA Check Point) even if I'm not there so much these days.
Programs: UA, CO, Calcifer Award for Mad Haiku Skillz
Donating blood as we speak

Pint# 79
Pulse 76
BP 118/65
Blood type green

Edited to add: My 22,000th post
Ha! I told you it was green.
Old Jun 9, 2012, 9:56 am

Originally Posted by youreadyfreddie
Ha! I told you it was green.
Well whaddya know about that
Old Jun 20, 2012, 9:34 am

Donated at work today. So easy and convenient!
Old Jul 7, 2012, 9:26 am

Originally Posted by bcmatt
I'd love to give blood, but I am in a country where they don't want blood from gay men (UK). The ban was partially lifted last year, but only those who have had sex with another man in the past 12 months. I know it is possible to lie, but that does not sit well with me. Commence the flaming and criticism, no doubt.
Looks like there is a push in the US to lift that ban:
http://www.cnn.com/2012/07/06/health...html?hpt=hp_c1

Just donated my 40th pint a couple of days ago.
Old Jul 7, 2012, 9:51 am

I've switched to donating platelets, I think? I'm AB+. I moved at the end of last summer, and after my first donation at my new home I got a call from the Red Cross asking if I could come and specifically donate platelets, since AB+ is the universal donor for that (and plasma). Since then I've given platelets twice. Unfortunately, donating platelets takes a couple hours, plus about 30 minutes each way to the donation site, so it's a little tricky to arrange on my end. I'm up to around 14 pints of blood--I really should keep better track.
Old Jul 9, 2012, 10:04 am

Overdue (they were calling and emailing - yikes!).

Last Donation: Date: 07/02/2012
Type: Whole Blood
Last Cholesterol: 214
DonorPoint Rewards: Member Since: 04/04/2008
Level: Gold
Store Points: 3,250
Year to Date: Credits: 3
Gallons: 3/8 th(s)
Lifetime to Date: Credits: 34
Gallons: 4 & 2/8 th(s)
Eligibility: Whole Blood: 08/27/2012
Double Red Cells: 08/27/2012

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.