Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Flyertalk Cares
Reload this Page >

Give Blood. It may save a life...YOURS!

Give Blood. It may save a life...YOURS!

Old Dec 31, 13, 1:09 pm
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Wild Wild Life, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
Today is an excellent day to donate and reduce your bar bill later tonight.

It hasn't been 58 days yet for me alas.
Old Dec 31, 13, 2:28 pm
Moderator: Hilton Honors forums

Originally Posted by Spiff View Post
It hasn't been 58 days yet for me alas.
I donated a double red cell donation on December 26 instead of platelets, so it will be roughly twice as long before I can donate again.
Old Jan 1, 14, 11:50 am

TY for your donations and reminders on behalf of us all.
If anyone learns of a change in the rule preventing those who've had Hep A (my Nepali souvenir) to donate blood products, please post.
Old Jan 16, 14, 12:31 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Donating blood as we speak

Pint #: 87
BP: 118/76
Pulse: 78
Blood Type: Red
Old Jan 17, 14, 5:20 pm

Programs: LH SEN, VA Plat, BA Gold
Donating atm too! Great way to start the weekend!

BP 108/58
Hb 155
Old Jan 18, 14, 1:04 pm

Programs: AGR, BeWelcome, UA, AA, Marriott
Three cheers for everyone who donates!

Thanks to two units of blood (and a lot of grit on her part) my elderly mother surprised everyone and pulled through an infection which would have otherwise certainly killed her. You rock.

I give from time to time, but more often am turned away for low hematocrit. :-( I'll keep trying, though. In the meantime the blood center offers consolation cookies and juice. :-)
Old Jan 25, 14, 6:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
Programs: HH Diamond, Priority Club Platinum
Originally Posted by Lumeria View Post
Three cheers for everyone who donates!

Thanks to two units of blood (and a lot of grit on her part) my elderly mother surprised everyone and pulled through an infection which would have otherwise certainly killed her. You rock.

I give from time to time, but more often am turned away for low hematocrit. :-( I'll keep trying, though. In the meantime the blood center offers consolation cookies and juice. :-)
Eat more red meat.
Old Jan 29, 14, 7:41 pm

Programs: US, UA, Marriott, SPG, HH Silver
Donated yesterday
Lifetime Unit #2.
YTD Unit #1.
Regular blood.

No idea on the other stats
Old Jan 30, 14, 7:07 am

Programs: DL PM, 1MM, DL SC, Kimpton Inner Circle
I'm at just over 3 gallons lifetime. Very cool to think how many people could be helped or even saved by a blood donation. Hope I never need the favor returned. But in the meantime I've got a drawer full of T-shirts from the local hospital's blood bank and I've enjoyed many excellent plastic-wrapped cookies and containers of juice
Old Feb 20, 14, 9:21 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage & TravelBuzz

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Plat
At my normal Red Cross center, they use Trima machines for platelets (i.e., one needle for both draw and return). Didn't realise how spoiled I was to be able to have the use of one arm for the two-hour process. Earlier in the week, I went to a different center which uses the Amicus machines that use one arm for draw and one arm for return. Definitely not a fan of the double needles (though rumour has it that those are being rolled out to all centers in my area within the next few quarters).

I don't mind being pricked twice, but I like being able to read, type emails on my ipad, and generally feel productive during the 2-hour draw process - even if I only have access to one arm. With both arms immobilised, I guess I can catch up on some movies , but my biggest fear is "what if I end up getting an itch on my nose?!?"
Old Feb 20, 14, 9:29 am

Originally Posted by JY1024 View Post
Definitely not a fan of the double needles (though rumour has it that those are being rolled out to all centers in my area within the next few quarters).
I regret to inform you that that is no rumor.

I expressed my thoughts accordingly with a board member of the local American Red Cross in the area where I am based.
Old Feb 20, 14, 9:40 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage & TravelBuzz

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by Canarsie View Post
I regret to inform you that that is no rumor.

I expressed my thoughts accordingly with a board member of the local American Red Cross in the area where I am based.
Sigh...boooo!

Oh well, I guess before I head in, I'll sit in my car and scratch my nose vigorously to ensure that I don't have any itchy spells during the donation process.
Old Feb 20, 14, 1:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT 1MM
Originally Posted by JY1024 View Post
At my normal Red Cross center, they use Trima machines for platelets (i.e., one needle for both draw and return). Didn't realise how spoiled I was to be able to have the use of one arm for the two-hour process. Earlier in the week, I went to a different center which uses the Amicus machines that use one arm for draw and one arm for return. Definitely not a fan of the double needles (though rumour has it that those are being rolled out to all centers in my area within the next few quarters).
Frankly, I hope they get double-needle machines in my area (although I go through Blood Centers of the Pacific, not Red Cross); they are after me for platelets, and my veins can't take the return volume with the single needle machines.

I don't KNOW that the double needle machines would work better for me, but the nurses thought so last time I tried and failed with single-needle.
Old Feb 20, 14, 4:54 pm

Programs: LH SEN, VA Plat, BA Gold
Originally Posted by nkedel View Post
and my veins can't take the return volume with the single needle machines.
That could've been because the needle was too close to the edge of the vein (?) - happened to me 2 weeks ago. I was only able to get back ~ 250ml of saline + RBC before they had to stop because the puncture site was becoming edematous. They can also slow down the flow rate of the return - if that helps.

Double needle platelet machines?! - I hope this means that it takes twice as fast. I find it hard enough to manoeuvre around, read the newspaper etc. with one needle in my arm, let alone two :P
Old Feb 20, 14, 5:01 pm

Originally Posted by im.daniel View Post
Double needle platelet machines?! - I hope this means that it takes twice as fast.
You might save 20 minutes at most, if that...

Search this Thread