Give Blood. It may save a life...YOURS!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Give Blood. It may save a life...YOURS!

Search this Thread

Old Jul 9, 2012, 10:07 am

Originally Posted by cmn.jcs
Unfortunately, donating platelets takes a couple hours, plus about 30 minutes each way to the donation site, so it's a little tricky to arrange on my end. I'm up to around 14 pints of blood--I really should keep better track.
Ya - I was watching someone doing platelets across the way when I gave last week - I like my whole blood donation - after they stick the needle I'm usually done <10 minutes - fast bleeder I guess.

Indiana has the https://www.donorpoint.org/ system when is nice since it tracks everything.
Old Jul 9, 2012, 10:55 am

Originally Posted by bowdenj
Ya - I was watching someone doing platelets across the way when I gave last week - I like my whole blood donation - after they stick the needle I'm usually done <10 minutes - fast bleeder I guess.

Indiana has the https://www.donorpoint.org/ system when is nice since it tracks everything.
Nice of IN to do that. My donations are spread across 5 states at this point, in 5 different systems.
Old Jul 9, 2012, 12:48 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
Originally Posted by cmn.jcs
Nice of IN to do that. My donations are spread across 5 states at this point, in 5 different systems.
I'm in at least 4 different systems, 3 in one state!
Old Jul 9, 2012, 12:51 pm

Originally Posted by kipper
I'm in at least 4 different systems, 3 in one state!
How complicated. We just have one for all of Canada (well, except Quebec, but the French are always different).
Old Jul 25, 2012, 7:45 pm

Programs: DL 2.8 MM/PM, AA MM/GLD, Marriott LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
^^^ To all of you who so generously donate blood, please accept the heartfelt thanks of a FTer who just had a transfusion a few weeks ago.

Last edited by pbjag; Jul 25, 2012 at 8:21 pm
Old Jul 25, 2012, 8:03 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
Originally Posted by pbjag
^^^ To all of you who so generously donate blood, please accept the heartfelt thanks of a FTer who just had a transfusion.
I hope you're ok!
Old Jul 25, 2012, 8:42 pm

Programs: DL 2.8 MM/PM, AA MM/GLD, Marriott LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by kipper
I hope you're ok!
Much better now, thanks!
But - sobering to realize how easy it is for we road warriors/esses to assume that exhaustion is due to a crazy schedule, long days, jet lag, etc. when there could be something physically wrong.
Old Jul 26, 2012, 9:50 am
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by pbjag
Much better now, thanks!
But - sobering to realize how easy it is for we road warriors/esses to assume that exhaustion is due to a crazy schedule, long days, jet lag, etc. when there could be something physically wrong.
Glad you're on the road to recovery ^
Old Aug 3, 2012, 12:50 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
A Ten Gallon Hat1 :D

Donating blood as we speak

Pint# 80
Pulse 67
BP 116/70
Blood type red
Old Aug 22, 2012, 1:03 am

Programs: UA 1.050MM, PersonalCar 0.275MM
So I completed my 42nd donation today (at least, by the count of my current blood bank, with which I've done the vast majority of my lifetime donations). It's a bit daunting to think that by the current FDA guidelines -- maximum of 24 donations per year for certain kinds of donations including platelets -- it would take me 23 years at "maximum warp speed" to catch up with the blood bank's current leader in donations (just broke the mark of 600 lifetime donations). And who knows where he'll be by then?

Old Aug 22, 2012, 9:35 am

Originally Posted by pshuang
So I completed my 42nd donation today (at least, by the count of my current blood bank, with which I've done the vast majority of my lifetime donations). It's a bit daunting to think that by the current FDA guidelines -- maximum of 24 donations per year for certain kinds of donations including platelets -- it would take me 23 years at "maximum warp speed" to catch up with the blood bank's current leader in donations (just broke the mark of 600 lifetime donations). And who knows where he'll be by then?

My local office of CBS has a donor who hit 1,000 earlier this year. As a plasma donor he can give 52 times a year, but that's still nearly 20 years straight of never missing an appointment.
Old Sep 7, 2012, 7:11 pm

Programs: UA/HH/Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by goalie

Pint# 80
Congratulations! I just got around to lifetime pint #2.
Was asked to do double red cell but then told that I didn't have a good enough vein for the return. Oh well.

Mmmm, Oreos....
Old Sep 9, 2012, 9:44 am

Programs: UA 1.050MM, PersonalCar 0.275MM
Originally Posted by Calcifer
Congratulations! I just got around to lifetime pint #2.
Great! Repetition is key to making something a habit.
Old Sep 9, 2012, 11:13 am

I have been rejected four times because my iron level has been hovering around the 11.x when the minimum requirement is 12.5. Given free iron pills again, but my mandatory coffee intake is affecting my iron absorption.

Here in Singapore, regulations state that whole blood donation can only be done once every three months while plasmapheresis every month. But people are always willing to step up and donate which is pretty awesome.

Like recently there was the long holiday weekend which led to some blood supplies going into critical levels. News spread everywhere, particularly on Facebook, and people just went for it and supplies are healthy now. It happens every time the levels go too low.

The only freebie is a meal coupon post-donation, and a birthday cake if you did it on your birthday apparently. You also get your name on a wall if you donated a specific number of times. I don't even like needles, but I want to get on that wall!

Last edited by Ryvyan; Sep 9, 2012 at 11:23 am
Old Sep 13, 2012, 9:26 pm

Programs: QC Life, QFF Gold, VA Gold, HH nothing,IHG Gold
Another donation today.

Pint# 17
BP 133/76
Blood type A+

Originally Posted by goalie
How anyone can type and donate at the same I don't know.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.