Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Flyertalk Cares
Reload this Page >

Give Blood. It may save a life...YOURS!

Give Blood. It may save a life...YOURS!

Old Oct 5, 11, 6:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
Programs: HH Diamond, Priority Club Platinum
Scheduled to donate on October 31 at work.
Old Oct 15, 11, 6:30 pm

Your blood type is: O+
Last Donation: Date: 10/12/2011
Type: Whole Blood
Last Cholesterol: 192
Year to Date:
Credits: 4
Gallons: 4/8 th(s)
Lifetime to Date:
Donations: 31
Gallons: 3 & 7/8 th(s)
Eligibility:
Whole Blood: 12/07/2011
Double Red Cells:12/07/2011
Platelets: NOW

Interesting discussion at the donation center - I mentioned that usually the blood center calls when I'm this long overdue for donation. The staff mentioned that when there is an infant blood requirement then they will call if I am within donation time period. CMV-

So I looked it up:

CMV (Cytomegalovirus) CMV is a complex flu-like virus that most adults are exposed to at sometime in their lives. It is a double stranded DNA virus belonging to the herpes virus family.

.... However, in the case of low birth weight infants the consequences of such infection may be severe or even fatal. Because the immune systems in these infants are not fully developed, every precaution must be taken to avoid infection. Scientific studies have shown blood lacking this virus (CMV negative blood) is safer for pediatric patients. Therefore, hospitals prefer to use CMV negative pediatric units to ensure the safety of blood transfusions to newborns.

... In the U.S., between 50-85% of adults will contract CMV by the time they reach the age of 40.
Old Oct 15, 11, 7:20 pm

Programs: DL-Dirt Medallion;US-Cast Iron Preferred; HH-Gold; Avis First
Originally Posted by bowdenj
Interesting discussion at the donation center - I mentioned that usually the blood center calls when I'm this long overdue for donation. The staff mentioned that when there is an infant blood requirement then they will call if I am within donation time period. CMV-
I'm O- and CMV-. When I give blood, they use a special bag that they refer to as a "baby bag", so same situation, they use it for newborns. I'm eligible on Monday, but will probably wait until the weekend.

Last edited by cblaisd; Oct 16, 11 at 6:31 am Reason: Fixed quote-coding
Old Oct 15, 11, 10:54 pm

> djk7
> I'm O- and CMV-.

Since you are both O- / CMV- you are truly the universal donor.
Old Oct 16, 11, 6:36 am

Programs: DL-Dirt Medallion;US-Cast Iron Preferred; HH-Gold; Avis First
Originally Posted by bowdenj View Post
> djk7
> I'm O- and CMV-.

Since you are both O- / CMV- you are truly the universal donor.
And they don't let me forget it! They usually call to remind me the day I'm eligible, and then fairly regularly if I don't donate right away.
Old Dec 20, 11, 12:57 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Donating blood as we speak

Pint# 76
Pulse 64
BP 121/79
Blood type red
Old Jan 8, 12, 4:02 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Hyatt Globalist
Just found this thread; glad to see so many FTers supporting a good cause.

I made my 40th donation on Friday and am scheduled for Plasma every two weeks until April (when a RTW may knock me out for 6 months depending on where I go in some of the countries). They also have a really good platelet match program in Canada, so I get a call about twice a year asking me to donate that day as they have a specific recipient who matches my markers in need. Those are the most fulfilling, as I know exactly what my donation will be used for and that it'll be used within hours.
Old Jan 9, 12, 10:59 am
Moderator: Hilton Honors, Practical Travel Safety Issues & San Francisco

Programs: UA, Hilton, Starwood, Priceline
I give at UCSF here in SF

After one too many bad experiences with the Blood Centers of the Pacific (untrained personnel; splashing blood all over my shirt when removing needle etc) I switched some years ago to donating at UCSF Medical Center here in SF. I donate ever few months. MANY pluses:
It's just up the street from my house;
Lovely personnel;
homemade cookie snacks;
usually a small Xmas gift
other gifts throughout the year (movie tickets etc)
Old Jan 9, 12, 1:22 pm

ASBP

I am a proud donor of whole blood to the Armed Services Blood Program every 56 days. It feels good to give up something of myself to help others.
Old Jan 9, 12, 7:25 pm
Moderator: CommunityBuzz!, OMNI, OMNI/PR, and OMNI/Games & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMM, AA PlatPro, SPG/Marriott lifetime Plat, IHG Spire/Ambassador, Hyatt Globalist
gave in December at LifeSource here in Chicago, they had a coupon they gave me for 15% off at ABT Electronics (one of the best stores in the US for electronics), nice perk, it came in handy !!
Old Jan 10, 12, 12:25 am

Location: Vancouver (Not BC), WA (Not DC)...I'm in a PDX flight path.
Programs: Elite peon; MR Silver; Choice Diamond; HH Silver; BW Diamond (status match);
I regularly give through the American Red Cross.
Old Jan 17, 12, 4:52 pm

Programs: Flying Blue Gold, BAEC Blue
I'd love to give blood, but I am in a country where they don't want blood from gay men (UK). The ban was partially lifted last year, but only those who have had sex with another man in the past 12 months. I know it is possible to lie, but that does not sit well with me. Commence the flaming and criticism, no doubt.
Old Jan 17, 12, 6:28 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by bcmatt View Post
Commence the flaming and criticism, no doubt.
Rather not, merely happy to know you would if you could. CBS still has the lifetime ban, but I expect we'll see them follow the UK route shortly.

I feel bad for both sides on this. I know people in groups impacted by these policies (gay, 3+ months in UK between 1980-1996, handled a monkey, born in/lived in Africa since 1977, to name but a few....) who have led clean, monogamous lives and whose blood I would gratefully accept if I were in need. I also know the blood agencies are basing their decision on statistics (i.e. definable groups with HIV infection rate of X/100,000 or higher are banned), and don't hold anything against any of those groups. All I can do is hope and look forward to, the day that testing accuracy will improve to the point where such group policies are not required.
Old Jan 18, 12, 6:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
Programs: HH Diamond, Priority Club Platinum
Red Cross is fined by FDA for blood collection violations

As the Red Cross faces yet another fine in a decade-long series of multimillion-dollar fines for unsafe blood-management practices, questions are being raised about the effectiveness of the penalties.

The Food and Drug Administration's latest fine of $9.6 million covers many facilities but focuses on hundreds of violations found during a late-2010 inspection of two new blood-donor support centers in Philadelphia and Charlotte, N.C.

Including the latest sanction, the FDA has levied $47 million against the Red Cross blood business since 2003. It cited chronic problems with understaffing, inadequate training, quality assurance and product surveillance that put blood donors and recipients at risk.

"Many of the violations recounted in this letter are virtually identical to violations charged" in previous penalty-notification letters, FDA official Evelyn Bonnin wrote Friday to the Red Cross. The organization "has failed to take adequate steps to correct them."
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/12018/1204155-114-0.stm
Old Jan 18, 12, 1:03 pm

Programs: DL PM, AA Gold, A3 Gold, WN CP, and lots of points everywhere.
Originally Posted by rehoult View Post
I feel bad for both sides on this. I know people in groups impacted by these policies (gay, 3+ months in UK between 1980-1996, handled a monkey, born in/lived in Africa since 1977, to name but a few....) who have led clean, monogamous lives and whose blood I would gratefully accept if I were in need. I also know the blood agencies are basing their decision on statistics (i.e. definable groups with HIV infection rate of X/100,000 or higher are banned), and don't hold anything against any of those groups. All I can do is hope and look forward to, the day that testing accuracy will improve to the point where such group policies are not required.
Hopefully... Having lived 3+ months in the UK during that time span but eaten relatively little red meat while there, I'm pretty low risk but I understand the need to set these guidelines.

Nonetheless, it's a bit disappointing given that I'd actually reached the point where I looked forward to my donation very nearly every 8 weeks. I got a lot more comfortable with needles during that time. And I'd still be doing it if I was eligible.

Search this Thread