Reload this Page > Women in Military Service for America Memorial

Women in Military Service for America Memorial

Old Nov 15, 16, 4:46 am
Original Poster
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 1MM, AA Plat
Red face Women in Military Service for America Memorial

Hello fellow FTers,

As some of you know, I've been in the Navy for a long time (almost 23 years). I will retire next year. This request recently came to me from someone who knows much of my attention and resources through the winter goes to raising funds for Children with Cancer UK and the London Marathon (#4 is next April). However, as both a Navy Chief and woman veteran, it would be remiss for me not to highlight this cause to my fellow FTers.

Not sure if anyone has visited the Women in the Military Service for America (WIMSA - LINK) Memorial when in northern Virginia/DC - I've never gone when in DC but perhaps that was a mistake on my part. A fellow Navy veteran sent this to me over the weekend.

WIMSA has apparently lost its funding and is now fundraising to make up the difference and remain open. Admission remains free and WIMSA relies on donations to continue operating.

The memorial opened its doors in October 1997 and initially, Congress earmarked money for the Women’s Memorial to assist with operating costs, but in 2010 the Congressional funding stopped.

Diligent fundraising by retired Air Force Brigadier General Wilma L. Vaught, the first WIMSA Memorial Foundation President, and other Foundation board members have kept the doors open. Sadly, these donations have not been enough. WIMSA is the only national memorial honoring the service of America’s military women and facing closure if not sufficiently supported.

The WIMSA Memorial Foundation has partnered with Academy Women’s Military Women eMentor Community to launch a fundraising campaign that aims to raise $20 for every living woman veteran.

How can you help?

Donate - https://fundrazr.com/SaveTheWomensMemorial - no amount is too little or too small
Share - facebook, email, Instagram, twitter, etc.
#SaveTheWomensMemorial
#NotOnOurWatch

I think of the many occasions I throw down $5 a few times a week on Starbucks or other snacks - I think I can spare $20; I hope others can as well.

Thanks for reading my long post - your support is appreciated!
Old Nov 15, 16, 4:48 am
Original Poster
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Pics

These are pics from one of my fellow Chiefs:

Memorial:

Each glass panel has quotes; you can see Arlington National Cemetery in the background:
Old Nov 15, 16, 8:59 am
Moderator: Mileage Run, United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 2MM; Hyatt Glob*****; Hilton Diamond
My first $20 donation was in honor of you, Robin. Thank you for bringing this to the attention of the FlyerTalk community.
Old Nov 15, 16, 9:09 am
Original Poster
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Pat89339 View Post
My first $20 donation was in honor of you, Robin. Thank you for bringing this to the attention of the FlyerTalk community.
Thanks Pat89339 - it's much appreciated!

I know many FTers have connections to the military, be it as a veteran, parent, spouse, son, daughter, friend, etc.
Old Nov 15, 16, 9:39 am

Thank You Robin

Thank you Robin for letting us all know of this cause. While making my contribution I read that they have raised $37,008 of their $1.5 million goal.
This fundraiser only continues till December 31st.

I would like to make my donation in the memory of:

Jim Cashman KIA Vietnam

Tim Hunt KIA Vietnam

Bob Mosley Navy Training Accident
Old Nov 15, 16, 10:09 am
Original Poster
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Capt Denny View Post
Thank you Robin for letting us all know of this cause. While making my contribution I read that they have raised $37,008 of their $1.5 million goal.
This fundraiser only continues till December 31st.

I would like to make my donation in the memory of:

Jim Cashman KIA Vietnam

Tim Hunt KIA Vietnam

Bob Mosley Navy Training Accident
Awesome!
Old Nov 16, 16, 3:06 am
Original Poster
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Hi all,

Here are some direct quotes from some of my fellow women service members:

I go every time I'm in DC. It's s truly humbling experience. I leave a donation each time. The place is amazing.
Never been to DC but I have always wanted to go and I don't want it to close before I get the chance.
It's for all women. It's a lovely beautiful place to see. It sits on the grounds of Arlington Cemetery nestled beneath President Kennedy. You can register as a member and preserve your spot for future service women to know. Sorry, this place means a lot to me.
Can't believe it, hope we can swing it the other way and keep it open!
This male veteran will pungle up a couple of sawbucks in honor of his sisters.
My kids still talk about going and seeing my profile in the log.
Donated
Been there, pretty nice......

Last edited by rwoman; Nov 16, 16 at 3:30 am

Search this Thread