2016 Fight Against Cancer - Paris and London Marathons

Search this Thread

Old Oct 14, 2015, 1:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM 2MM, BA Bronze, Various Hotels
Smile 2016 Fight Against Cancer - Paris and London Marathons

Hi all,

First of all, I just want to extend a very hearty THANK YOU to the many FTers who've supported me in raising funds for Children with Cancer over the past two years.

FT threads do tell a story - on Oct. 9, 2013, I committed to London v1 and on Oct. 24, 2014, posted for London v2....apparently I don't learn or am simply motivated to raise money for a good cause.

Through the very generous support of friends, family, and strangers, I've been able to raise about £4500 ($6800) for this wonderful charity - I'd love to get it closer to the £6500 ($10k) mark in the next 6.5 months!

Last night, Children with Cancer called me to see if I'd be interested in running for their team again for the 2016 London Marathon. I've already booked for the Paris Marathon (April 3).

So, the takeaway? I'm going to run both.

I'm hoping this will increase awareness for a cause I care very much about.

I've witnessed good friends and family deal with various perspectives on cancer in the past year:
  • Susie and Rich's son finished treatment. They continue to promote support for combating children's cancers.
  • Nancy continues to raise awareness and so many of us remember her son Jeff who fought cancer as a child (and won) only to lose the battle while he was in college.
  • Another friend has been fighting pancreatic cancer and is (THANKFULLY) kicking its butt!! ^
  • A caring woman who lost the battle last Christmas. Not the news I wanted to see when I got of a LHR-SEA flight on my way home.
  • One of my family's beloved cats recovered from and subsequently died from cancer.

Thank you for your consideration in supporting this cause again!

LINK to donate.

robin

Last edited by JDiver; Apr 6, 2016 at 3:35 pm Reason: Add emphasis to link -
Old Oct 24, 2015, 11:46 am
Suspended

Love

You are very good!^
Old Oct 24, 2015, 8:15 pm

This is brilliant. I wish you the best of luck with this.
Old Oct 26, 2015, 6:32 am

Programs: KrisFlyer - Nothing
Best of Luck

Best of Luck in the Marathon, as well as the Fundraiser!
Old Nov 6, 2015, 1:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Emma fiy
You are very good!^
Originally Posted by Patsnation
This is brilliant. I wish you the best of luck with this.
Originally Posted by AirPanda
Best of Luck in the Marathon, as well as the Fundraiser!
Thanks all!
Old Nov 6, 2015, 1:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Smile Update - Nov. 6, 2015

Hi all,

An update...

Just under two weeks ago, I completed marathon #4, the Marine Corps Marathon in DC. It was a tough course, but I "Beat the Bridge" and I finished!

I'm now on the post-marathon wind down before the training cycle for the spring begins. An appropriate time for mileage runs...I mean, what's flying to Paris, then back to London, and on to Honolulu, right?

On a more important note, I'm currently at £262.91.

THANK YOU to those helping fight cancer!!

I really appreciate your support!

Last edited by rwoman; Mar 18, 2016 at 3:22 am
Old Dec 21, 2015, 5:16 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
(Many) years ago, as a student, I also held a job at a research laboratory at Stanford University in the US. As well, I volunteered on the pediatric oncology ward. It was sad in some cases, because some of those children were returning - and a number of them didn't make it.

Research has made a huge difference: many of those children would have survived today, given the many advances that have been made in the interim. But the impact would have been much less if we just waited for government to carry the freight and deliver the goods; volunteers have raised a lot of funds that have made meaningful differences in the longevity and quality of life of many children with cancer.

Thank you, Robin, for your leadership and for running for a most worthy cause!
Old Dec 21, 2015, 5:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JDiver
(Many) years ago, as a student, I also held a job at a research laboratory at Stanford University in the US. As well, I volunteered on the pediatric oncology ward. It was sad in some cases, because some of those children were returning - and a number of them didn't make it.

Research has made a huge difference: many of those children would have survived today, given the many advances that have been made in the interim. But the impact would have been much less if we just waited for government to carry the freight and deliver the goods; volunteers have raised a lot of funds that have made meaningful differences in the longevity and quality of life of many children with cancer.

Thank you, Robin, for your leadership and for running for a most worthy cause!
Just got the email - THANK YOU!! THANK YOU!! THANK YOU!
Old Feb 25, 2016, 2:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

A long overdue update!

Hi all!

Wow! With just under 60 days to go, I realized I'm loooooong overdue for an update!

I'm approaching the halfway point! With £630.35 raised towards my £1500 goal!

For those close to me affected by cancer, one is approaching his one year anniversary since being officially in remission and another is getting a much needed break from chemo.

Sooooo....how's it going? It's been a tough training cycle. I'm still plagued with tennis elbow; it began last June in the right arm. The right arm is doing better, the left arm has started in recent weeks. It seems absurd but it really does affect running.

For 2016, I've run a couple of races - a 10k in London last month and the Austin Half Marathon in mid-Feb. Austin was a mess for a a number of reasons but I figure it keeps me humble in training. The Cambridge (UK) Half is this coming weekend and I'm hoping it goes better. My brain has not been "in it" after Austin....time to get that back.

A few pics from recent events:

After the Cancer Research Winter 10k in London:

Fighting it out in Austin...no left turn for me that day...

And a nice sunset run this past week...which my brain needed...

Yes, I am one of "those" people who takes pics of all sorts of things when out on a run!

Thank you for your continued support and keeping track of my craziness.
Old Mar 1, 2016, 2:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Creeping towards my goal! £688.85 so far!

Training continues...

I had the Cambridge Half Marathon this past weekend and it went okay, especially after what I call Austin the Disaster two weeks ago. Austin had its reason for a meh day...it happens and keeps me humble.

Thank you for your continued support!!
Old Mar 1, 2016, 3:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

OVER Half Way!

£786.35!! Over the 50% MARK!

THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU!
Old Mar 1, 2016, 3:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by rwoman
£786.35!! Over the 50% MARK!

THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU!
Make that £806.35!
Old Mar 18, 2016, 3:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Update - 18 March 2016

Hi all!

Well, with two weeks to Paris and 36 days to London, things are plugging along.

Through the generous support of FTers, friends, family, and colleagues, I've raised £917.07 so far! I'm very grateful for folks' tremendous support and am a bit in awe of the fact people follow this journey.

Me out for a run in my town last weekend...nothing like a cannon for a well known local landmark... It is the Sebastopol Cannon.

On another note, I'm SUPER excited to share I've been accepted for the 2016 TCS New York Marathon in November!! Total bucket list item!

Old Mar 28, 2016, 2:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

SIX (6!) days to Paris!

Hi all!

As I type this, am pleased to share I've raised £1,046.83 so far! THANK YOU to my friends, family, colleagues, and fellow frequent travelers for your support.

I'm currently 6 days out from the Paris Marathon - hard to believe it's nearly here!

I had my last longer run before Paris this past Friday - it was a beautiful spring day in the English countryside.

I'm excited for my sister to visit this weekend and the chance to take on this challenge....and it's going to be a challenge because I really need a PB to get across the finish line in time!
Old Apr 5, 2016, 2:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Unhappy Update: The Aftermath of Paris - Not Always What We Expect

Hello all,

Running is one thing; supporting the fight against cancer is one of the reasons I do so. Pleased to share I'm almost to £1,100 with £1,092.54 raised! THANK YOU all for your support!!

So...the Paris Marathon was this past Sunday. I'd given myself a bit of a taper going into Sunday. As usual, my sister flew over to chase me around the course.

At the expo, my DL status helped with me getting my number more quickly...who knew Sky Priority benefits would apply??

I was up early, had breakfast, and then made my way to the train to get to the start:

It was a gorgeous morning on the Champs Elysee...

We set off a few minutes late for our wave, but I felt pretty good despite a fair amount of walking the day before.

Just past 2 miles - my sister with our travel mascots (Floyd the Flamingo and his cousin Steve; Shaun the Sheep):

It was really warm and my pacing was pretty good. I did force myself to slow a bit due to the temps (70F+ is bad when you've trained in the winter). However, I was on track to be under the 6h time limit and kept plugging along.

Then the wheels slowly fell off after the officials told us to get onto the sidewalk about mile 10 because the course was closing; I knew this might happen later in the race but I was by far on track to finish in under 6h. The constant stop/start with traffic over the next miles was tough on my back. Worse, they were taking down the aid stations completely.

I made it to my sister at the 14 mile mark or so. Given the temperature and lack of aid, as well as London looming in 19 days, I made the decision to stop. I think it is one of the more difficult decisions I've made. I'm not one to give up; it's just not in my nature. I'm still a little peeved at myself but I think hindsight (and London on the 24th) will suggest I made the right decision.

To those who follow and support me, thank you. My apologies for not delivering in Paris.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.