Search

2016 Fight Against Cancer - Paris and London Marathons

Search this Thread

Old Apr 5, 2016, 12:58 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by rwoman
Hello all,

Running is one thing; supporting the fight against cancer is one of the reasons I do so. Pleased to share I'm almost to £1,100 with £1,092.54 raised! THANK YOU all for your support!!

So...the Paris Marathon was this past Sunday. I'd given myself a bit of a taper going into Sunday. As usual, my sister flew over to chase me around the course.

Then the wheels slowly fell off after the officials told us to get onto the sidewalk about mile 10 because the course was closing; I knew this might happen later in the race but I was by far on track to finish in under 6h. The constant stop/start with traffic over the next miles was tough on my back. Worse, they were taking down the aid stations completely.

I made it to my sister at the 14 mile mark or so. Given the temperature and lack of aid, as well as London looming in 19 days, I made the decision to stop. I think it is one of the more difficult decisions I've made. I'm not one to give up; it's just not in my nature. I'm still a little peeved at myself but I think hindsight (and London on the 24th) will suggest I made the right decision.

To those who follow and support me, thank you. My apologies for not delivering in Paris.
No apologies needed! You completed over a half marathon, you were dealt adverse circumstances by what seems to be poor organization, it was unseasonably warm, you made an informed decision to take care of yourself and remain healthy for the big one on the 24th.

Nothing but kudos to you for your maturity.
Old Apr 5, 2016, 2:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM 2MM, BA Bronze, Various Hotels
Originally Posted by JDiver
No apologies needed! You completed over a half marathon, you were dealt adverse circumstances by what seems to be poor organization, it was unseasonably warm, you made an informed decision to take care of yourself and remain healthy for the big one on the 24th.

Nothing but kudos to you for your maturity.
Yes. Was a tough day and tougher decision.

I may very well seek redemption next year! Even my sister, who had doubts but would've followed me on a bike had I continued, thinks I should give it a go next year.
Old Apr 8, 2016, 7:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Hi all,

Thanks to the very generous support of two fellow FTers this week, I've exceeded my goal and now stand at £1,507.94.

With 16 days until London (and a bit of redemption after Paris), thank you seems insufficient.

Will continue to post regarding progress!!

Thank you again.

Old Apr 19, 2016, 3:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

5 Days to go!

Hi all,

Have been away for work and not had the chance to post an update.

Just want to express my sincere appreciation for my fellow FTers!!

Currently achieved £1,608.18 for Children with Cancer!!

And, with that, a mere FIVE days to go! How does this happennnnn????

Thank you again for your support!
Old Apr 21, 2016, 5:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Smile Update - April 21, 2016

What it's all about! Currently at £1,641.98 for Children with Cancer.

Me...goofy as usual.

Most importantly...THANK YOU!

We will see what the weather does - rumors of wet/sleet/snow to just cloudy...either way, I expect it to be cool temps compared to the past two years.
Old Apr 24, 2016, 3:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

And done...

Hi all,

Amazingly, another London under my belt. Weather hit all seasons today and it was horribly slow but I did manage to finish faster than the middle km.

Definitely had to dig deep!!

I appreciate everyone's support!! Will post pics tomorrow!

And now, sleeeeep!
Old Apr 28, 2016, 4:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Thank you (AGAIN!)!!

Hi all,

Well it's post-marathon Thursday...meaning I am still a bit sore but walk pretty normally again.

It was a day of 4 season in London. This was the first time I did a full marathon in long sleeves and tights (perhaps prep for NY in November??). Early morning sleet/ice, sun, clouds, some drizzle, and a bit of wind here an there along the course. Looking at the pics, I realize it's quite the get up.

Some pics from the day:

On the way to London...and it was sleeting/snowing...

Start:

At the 9 mile mark:

Outside the Horseguards Parade:

It was a tough day despite relatively ideal temperatures. Paris really stuck with me and was in the back of my mind up until about 21.5 miles.

As I passed an older gentleman on the course, I overheard a marshall tell him, "Ian, you're fine on time." While it seems simple, it was at that point my brain finally let Paris go. And the last 6 miles was faster than the middle 10 or so. I'd seen my sister between 19 and 20, then again at 23 and 24.5...she said I was moving faster and I told her, "Yes, at some point I had to get on with it."

I just want to thank everyone again for their support. When I get a final tally in support of CwC, I'll post accordingly!
Old May 2, 2016, 11:56 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
First I've been able to catch up with this. Brilliant! Congratulations! ^^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.