FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Flyertalk Cares (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/flyertalk-cares-688/)
-   -   charity golf & auction (ride the Goodyear Blimp!) in San Jose, CA: 29Sept2014 (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/flyertalk-cares/1605877-charity-golf-auction-ride-goodyear-blimp-san-jose-ca-29sept2014.html)

dancingbear Aug 25, 2014 12:29 pm

charity golf & auction (ride the Goodyear Blimp!) in San Jose, CA: 29Sept2014

Hey fellow FT'ers.. I'm the (volunteer) operations & marketing manager for the 20th Annual Bill Hewlett & Dave Packard Charity Golf Classic (San Jose, California, 29 September 2014), which supports the Lucile Packard Children's Hospital at Stanford. It's a great day of golf on a fantastic, spectacular course, followed by a silent auction which this year features a ride for two on the Goodyear Blimp!!

Here's the official announcement:

Silicon Valley techies will be golfing for a great cause at the end of September, raising money to benefit San Francisco Bay Area children’s health via a charity golf tournament and a silent auction featuring donated prizes such as a ride on the famous Goodyear Blimp.

The Hewlett-Packard Silicon Valley Golf Club and Agilent Technologies Golf Club will host their 20th annual Bill Hewlett and Dave Packard Charity Golf Classic (www.billanddavegolf.com) on Monday, September 29, at the Golf Club at Boulder Ridge, a spectacular private course in the hills above San Jose’s Almaden Valley. The event benefits Lucile Packard Children’s Hospital Stanford; since its inception in 1995, this event has raised more than $585,000 for the hospital. The tourney is named in honor of the legendary Silicon Valley entrepreneurs and philanthropists who founded Hewlett-Packard seventy-five years ago; David Packard himself was the event’s very first sponsor. (Employees of Agilent Technologies, an HP spinoff company, also honor “Bill and Dave” as their company’s founders.)

The tournament is in “four-player scramble” format; prizes will be awarded to scramble winners as well as the winners of multiple contests and challenges offered throughout the day (including a $6000 cash hole-in-one prize!). Carts and ample refreshments including a box lunch will be provided.

After the tournament, participants and guests will attend an awards dinner hosted by Gary Scott Thomas, morning-show host at KRTY-FM in San Jose, whose young son was successfully treated at Packard Children’s Hospital for a life-threatening illness in 2012. Awards will be presented to the day’s winners; a grand prize, donated by HP, will be drawn, and many donated raffle prizes will be distributed. A silent auction during the evening will invite bids on dozens of donated items such as sports memorabilia autographed by stars like football great Joe Montana and World Cup Soccer legend Brandi Chastain; golf vacations in Hawaii and elsewhere; and a ride on the Goodyear Blimp.

Probably the most unique item in the charity auction, the ride for two people on Goodyear’s “Sprit of America” is sure to attract a lot of attention. Goodyear reserves the few seats on its famous lighter-than-air flying machines for its very top customers and other VIPs, but they also donate a limited number of rides to be auctioned off to benefit worthy charities. Because of their uniqueness and rarity, these blimp rides are much sought after and often highly contested when they appear in charity auctions.

The tournament is open to anyone 18 or older; advance registration is required (by Sept 8) at www.billanddavegolf.com. The registration fee of $225 includes 18 holes of golf with cart, a box lunch, a deluxe dinner, range balls, a personal tee prize for each golfer, and a $79 tax-deductible contribution to the Lucile Packard Foundation for Children’s Health, the 501c3 charity supporting the Lucile Packard Children’s Hospital.

This event is generously sponsored by ISS Facilities Services, Hewlett-Packard, Agilent Technologies, First Tech Federal Credit Union, Stanford Credit Union, Ford Motor Company, and Hilton Garden Inn.

For the latest news about the tournament and auction, “like” us on facebook: billanddavegolf

Thanks - I hope to see you at the tournament!!

p.s. I would be happy to answer any questions - send me a PM or email me at [email protected]