2014 London Marathon - Children with Cancer UK

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2014 London Marathon - Children with Cancer UK

Search this Thread

Old Apr 2, 2014, 1:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 2MM/GS; SPG Lifetime Plat; MHC Lifetime; Tar Heel forever; and I "Dig the Pig" at Piggly Wiggly
I'd rather ride my bike for 100 miles than try to run 1 mile. You got more balls than me, woman!

I'm in for a worth cause! ^
Old Apr 2, 2014, 1:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM 2MM, BA Bronze, Various Hotels
Originally Posted by kevinsac
I'd rather ride my bike for 100 miles than try to run 1 mile. You got more balls than me, woman!

I'm in for a worth cause! ^
At least it's in the comparatively cool climate here in the UK versus the brutal Sacramento Valley summers!!

Thanks!
Old Apr 4, 2014, 3:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Smile Update - Apr. 4, 2014

NINE (9!!) days to go!

Those following this thread may be amused at my visit to the Osteopath yesterday...he ran the London Marathon last year for Children with Cancer UK as well.

Apart from having three (acupuncture-esque) needles stuck in my IT band, he said things look really good for the marathon. The first two needles did not get much reaction from me. The third -ACK! But I feel soooo much better now!

As I'm tapering and ensuring good IT band health for April 13th, I did have a nice long walk this week:

Yesterday, I also made my last "team lunch" for raising money towards the marathon - colleagues donated over £50 more for Children with Cancer.

Thanks to the support of soooo many, my current total is £2,282.43!

Have a great weekend, everyone!

rw
Old Apr 5, 2014, 3:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

April 4, 2014 - Update #1 - The Course!

Hi Everyone,

As I know some have followed this journey through this thread, I figured I'd post some pics of what's to come a week from tomorrow! My first trip to London was in 2005. These pics are from a combination of trips before I moved here and in the time since I moved here.

The start line will be in Greenwich (as in home of Greenwich Mean Time!). There are actually three start lines and I'll be near the bottom of this hill. This is Maritime Greenwich from up on the hill above the start line. Canary Wharf and the Isle of Dogs (those evil "boring" miles) across the River Thames:

After the three mile marker, the course turns west. At four miles, I will be just south of the Thames Barrier, but on the road. Due to buildings and such, I doubt I'll be able to see it:

Between 6-7 miles, we'll be in Greenwich again and near the Cutty Sark. Looking at the map, buildings and such will be between the runners and the ship and the Thames:

From Greenwich, we head up through Canada Water and towards Southwark. I've walked the Thames Path through here and know it's not all that exciting - lots of houses, a Hilton, and more housing! We will pass Old Salt Quay in Rotherthithe:

We then wind around past Bermondsey and towards Tower Bridge - this is about the 11 mile mark:
Old Apr 5, 2014, 3:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

April 4, 2014 - Update #2 - The Course!

Continued...

We'll continue along the South Bank and then, just after the 12 mile point, head over Tower Bridge. This pic is from last night (I spent part of yesterday and today walking parts of the course) - although next Sunday I'll be in the road vice on the sidewalk:

View from the middle of Tower Bridge last night:

We turn right after clearing Tower Bridge and head towards Canary Wharf and the Isle of Dogs. Miles 15-20 are through this area. Pics from this morning:

Headed towards Canary Wharf:

Canary Wharf:

Heading back towards The City, this will signify the 23 mile mark:

To be continued...

Old Apr 5, 2014, 3:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

April 4, 2014 - Update #3 - The Course!

Once I pass Tower Bridge, I think I'll feel like it's (almost) the home stretch! I've walked through this area, taken a bus, the Tube, etc. more times that I can count!

From the Tower of London, it's onwards to St. Paul's Cathedral:

The 24 mile point is right about where Fleet Street crosses Farringdon/New Bridge Street (which leads to the Blackfriars Bridge). A view from Blackfriars this morning:

From Blackfriars, we head down the Victoria Embankment towards Westminster. I walked (for the many-ith time) this today...with all the training and support I've had the past six months, it was still a bit of an emotional experience. I can only imagine what it's going to feel like in a week!
Just about the 25 mile point:

I'm looking forward to when I get to make this right turn:

To be continued...
Old Apr 5, 2014, 3:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

April 4, 2014 - Update #4 - The Course!

Well, once I hit Big Ben and the Houses of Parliament, it's just about the home stretch! Down the Birdcage Walk along St. James Park:

Just about the 26 mile point in front of Buckingham Palace:

I'm just in front of the Finish Line point - can't wait to see it with loads of people next Sunday!

A couple of random pics from my walking the course - the warning signs that "we're coming...:

Well, that's a "pre-race" tour!

Thanks again to everyone for your support!!! If you happen to be in London, come out and cheer the runners on!!

robin
#LondonMarathon

Last edited by rwoman; Apr 5, 2014 at 3:57 pm
Old Apr 6, 2014, 6:58 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Tamsin - what else is there to say?
Thanks for the tour - I'd never thought about the course from the runner's perspective. Good luck next weekend!
Old Apr 7, 2014, 12:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Jenbel
Thanks for the tour - I'd never thought about the course from the runner's perspective. Good luck next weekend!
Thanks!
Old Apr 8, 2014, 3:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Update - April 8, 2014

Hi Everyone,

Well, we're at five days to go! Wow!

It's been a restful week thus far, although I'm sure I'll be a bit more anxious as Sunday morning approaches!!

I've reached £2,323.65 ($3860.98) as of today! Thanks again everyone for their support!!!

Old Apr 8, 2014, 7:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

For more of a description of the course:

A Road Trip Along the London Marathon Course
http://lrn.london-marathon.com/road-...rathon-course/

Old Apr 8, 2014, 8:11 am

Programs: Marriott Plat, Delta Gold, United Silver
Great job! thanks for posting the route pics
Old Apr 11, 2014, 2:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Update - April 11, 2014

Hi Everyone!

WOW! Two days to go!! 48 hours from now, I'll be antsy and waiting to enter the start line area!!

I'm very pleased to share £2,340.65 ($3927.48) has been raised thus far! Again, my sincere appreciation for everyone's support!

Yesterday, my sister came in from California and we met up to go to the Expo.

A few pics:

Old Apr 12, 2014, 1:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Marathon tomrrow!

Well, as I type this, I'm about 24 hours out from arriving in Greenwich and making my way to the start line area!!

Just over 6 months ago, I committed to and started this journey; amazing how one can pass six months!!

Vest/tank for tomorrow:

Front:

Back:

More updates tomorrow!!

£2,396.85 raised as of this morning!
#cancersucks
#TeamCwCUK
#LondonMarathon
#beatcancer

Old Apr 13, 2014, 12:15 pm

Let me be the first to say congrats on your marathon finish! Well done!

Jeff

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.