FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Flyertalk Cares (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/flyertalk-cares-688/)
-   -   2013 Dahl Fund--$6K goal met; 2 donors won a ride on a Stinston Tri-Motor (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/flyertalk-cares/1459769-2013-dahl-fund-6k-goal-met-2-donors-won-ride-stinston-tri-motor.html)

Pat89339 Apr 19, 2013 1:10 am

2013 Dahl Fund--$6K goal met; 2 donors won a ride on a Stinston Tri-Motor

Last year, FlyerTalkers raised $8444 for the Jason Dahl Fund and three lucky people were able to ride in a 1929 Stinson Tri-Motor. Would you like a chance to ride in this historical aircraft, the oldest surviving plane flown for American? Give to the Jason Dahl fund and get a chance for you and a friend to ride in it on June 1st. The ride will be donated by Greg Herrick from his private collection of planes. The money raised goes to the Captain Jason Dahl Scholarship, which is the 7th largest aviation scholarship in the United States. Captain Dahl was at the controls of Flight 93 on Sept 11th when his life was tragically taken by terrorists. The scholarship gives financial assistance to young men and women interested in an aviation career to honor Captain Dahl’s memory. The Captain Jason Dahl Scholarship Fund is an IRS qualified 501(c)3 Non-Profit Corporation.

The winner and his or her guest wins the opportunity to take the flight on June 1st. Winners must make their own way to the Anoka County Airport, roughly 30 miles south of Minneapolis/St Paul. There, they will take a ride in the Stinson Tri-Motor and be given a private tour of the Golden Wing Museum. The museum houses close to 30 unique and one-of-a-kind aircraft from America's Golden Age of Aviation (1920's-1930's). June 1st will also be the airport’s Aviation Days event. The civilian flying communities have "DOs" called FLY-INs. When an airport announces they are having a FLY-IN, everyone flies their small aircraft in for a pancake breakfast. That will start the day off and they have a weekend schedule of fun activities. Check out the events calendar on the Golden Wings Museum web site for more details. Anyone who donates to the fund will have the opportunity to tour the museum at the same time and to watch the ride. A second winner will be drawn if the FT donations reach $6,000.

Increase your chances by donating generously. Chances will be

$25 each
4 for $50
10 for $100
40 for $200

Make your contributions by 11:59 PM EDT on May 10, 2013, at the Dahl Fund contribution page and use PayPal. It is important that you note your donation is for the FlyerTalk raffle in order to participate. Use the “More Info: Send a Note to Seller” link on the final page or "Add Special Instructions to Recipient" and note: “FlyerTalk raffle.” Please also include your handle (if you have one—friends and lurkers are welcome to participate) and your preferred email address. We have a goal of raising more than last year’s total of $8444. Remember, many companies will match charitable gifts. We tested the FT App to the PayPal link and it shouldn’t cause any problem this year. The winner, as in the past, will be able to donate/gift the ride to someone else, if they are unable to attend.

Captain Denny will keep us informed on the amount of donations. The drawing will be held on May 11th at Captain Tom Bush’ nature store in Littleton, Colorado, during the Birding Festival. He has raised funds for the Dahl Fund since 2005.

Please help spread the word about this on FlyerTalk and elsewhere by forwarding a link to this thread to your friends. You do not need to be a member of FlyerTalk to participate in the raffle.

Pat89339 Apr 19, 2013 1:17 am

Last year’s first place winner was Ace Airspeed, who wrote about his experience on his personal blog.

Last year’s second place winner by reaching the $6000 mark was DLroads who also graciously agreed to share some of his photos.
http://i1194.photobucket.com/albums/.../leftplane.jpg http://i1194.photobucket.com/albums/...9339/right.jpg

http://i1194.photobucket.com/albums/...339/inside.jpg http://i1194.photobucket.com/albums/...89339/door.jpg

Steve Satre reported on last year’s event for the Smithsonian Air Space Magazine and you can find his report here.

LufthansaFlyer Apr 19, 2013 1:33 am

I got my 40 tickets! :)

ingy Apr 19, 2013 6:26 am

I'm in as well

JDiver Apr 19, 2013 10:40 am

I'm in for 40 tickets - this is an aspirational ride of mine, having begun my passenger time with AA in the mid-1940s riding DC-3s (MEX-MTY-SAT, MEX-MTY-ELP-PHX <overnight> PHX-whatever airport was serving Los Angeles. I've also ridden on an AA Ford TriMotor.

If you want this ride, you had better acquire more tickets than I do... :D (OTOH, if LufthansaFlyer or another worthy member wins, well, I'll go back to flying as a pax on these jet thingies...)

The Jason Dahl Fund supports, lest we forget, young men and women who aspire to become pilots. There are generally three paths - military training, serving years and years learning from Private Pilot to Instructor Pilot and doing what you can to earn hours and ratings and BIS on commuter lines, and studying for several years to earn technical degrees, hours and ratings to get one into the career path. The Dahl Fund supports those who take the third path, which can be very expensive - some aspire and have the innate skills but not the financing. It's a hand up - not a hand out.

LufthansaFlyer Apr 19, 2013 12:27 pm

Originally Posted by JDiver (Post 20618479)
I'm in for 40 tickets - this is an aspirational ride of mine, having begun my passenger time with AA in the mid-1940s riding DC-3s (MEX-MTY-SAT, MEX-MTY-ELP-PHX <overnight> PHX-whatever airport was serving Los Angeles. I've also ridden on an AA Ford TriMotor.

If you want this ride, you had better acquire more tickets than I do... :D (OTOH, if LufthansaFlyer or another worthy member wins, well, I'll go back to flying as a pax on these jet thingies...)

The Jason Dahl Fund supports, lest we forget, young men and women who aspire to become pilots. There are generally three paths - military training, serving years and years learning from Private Pilot to Instructor Pilot and doing what you can to earn hours and ratings and BIS on commuter lines, and studying for several years to earn technical degrees, hours and ratings to get one into the career path. The Dahl Fund supports those who take the third path, which can be very expensive - some aspire and have the innate skills but not the financing. It's a hand up - not a hand out.

Jdiver, if I win, you will be my +1

SanDiego1K Apr 19, 2013 12:42 pm

Our giving makes a difference. You'll see the list of scholarship recipients here. Note that from 2002 thru 2010, 2 scholarships were given in each year. In 2011, 7 scholarships were given. In 2012, 10 were given. The Dahl fund became an official FlyerTalk charity in 2010. Scholarships are awarded in May each year, so the money we gave in 2010 was given out in 2011 and so on. We can take considerable credit for that jump in scholarships in 2011 and 2012. The Dahl fund is a small fund, a worthwhile fund, and in a space that matters to us - teaching young people to be our future pilots. Board members come here and share their excitement with us. Let's keep giving and help future pilots.

JDiver Apr 19, 2013 2:00 pm

Thanks! I'll return the favour. Maybe one day when I am in Germany we can fly on "Tante Ju"... or at least her Spanish-built cousin. :)

Originally Posted by LufthansaFlyer (Post 20619081)
Jdiver, if I win, you will be my +1

pilotddd Apr 19, 2013 3:02 pm

You folks all rule. What a great adventure to know you all. As I am up to my eyeballs with work, life, and yes the non-profit...I cannot begin to thank you !

Capt Dave
President Captain Jason Dahl Scholarship Fund
The Future of Aviation...thanks to you!

Pat89339 Apr 19, 2013 6:25 pm

Okay LufthansaFlyer and JDiver, I'm in for 40 chances as well. If I win, you can both share the prize! :)

pshuang Apr 19, 2013 6:59 pm

I'm in for 40 chances. The near miss may break my heart, though, when I win. :) By near miss, I mean that coincidentally I will be in Minneapolis May 25-27, but I think I will have to be in Chicago for work on June 1. I'll just have to think up some wonderful way of deciding to whom I should give away my seats....

MPsince1984 Apr 19, 2013 8:07 pm

Thanks for sharing the details once again on behalf of this great cause.

I live in the Twin Cities, but unfortunately have to work on June 1st from 8:30 to 4:30. :td: Oh well. I'm going put in for some chances on behalf of my father, a retired USN aviator who also lives nearby.
:cool:

JDiver Apr 19, 2013 8:24 pm

Wow, in for a half-flight! Im still interetsted. :D

Originally Posted by Pat89339 (Post 20620711)
Okay LufthansaFlyer and JDiver, I'm in for 40 chances as well. If I win, you can both share the prize! :)

scottish_colin Apr 19, 2013 10:30 pm

In for 40!

I'm in for 40 chances too! This is my year!!!

On a somewhat related note... After last year's raffle Captain Denny connected with me on LinkedIn. A few days later I'm eating dinner with my wife and she says "Now I KNOW you spend way to much time on United flights when you're connecting with United pilots on LinkedIn!"

Pat89339 Apr 19, 2013 11:58 pm

Originally Posted by JDiver (Post 20621136)
Wow, in for a half-flight! Im still interetsted. :D

No, you don't have to sit on LufthansaFlyer's lap! :p. The first prize is for 2 seats.