Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Flyertalk Cares
Reload this Page >

$6K goal met for Dahl fund! Thank you, FlyerTalkers

$6K goal met for Dahl fund! Thank you, FlyerTalkers

Old May 1, 2012, 10:41 am

Greg Herrick

Originally Posted by chefdg1
Greg Herrick, the generous owner of the plane, is a good friend of mine. The winner will not only have a super flight experience but will get to meet one of the coolest guys I know.
chefdg1 is absolutely right. Greg Herrick is a great man and his personal and professional effort to promote the Age Of Flight is making a difference in all the lives that he touches. When I reached out to him about Capt Dahl's Scholarship he was immediately onboard to help. Take a look at this link and if you have time give him a shoutout for all that he is doing for aviation. http://www.airportjournals.com/Displ...?varID=0401003.

Capt Denny
Old May 1, 2012, 11:23 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
Originally Posted by Capt Denny
SomeGuy,

Greg Herrick, the owner of the golden Wings Museum and I just discussed your offer to buy a ride and he declined because of insurance. He was quite impressed that we are at $4225 that he offered to add a THIRD rider if we reach $6000 and a FOURTH rider if we go over $10,000. He did stipulate that the ride will be given to all four at the same time and June 2nd would work the best for him.

Capt Denny
Wow, very nice! I'm assuming that if he wanted to sell rides, he'd have to have different insurance or some such.
Old May 1, 2012, 3:22 pm

Programs: Captain Jason Dahl Scholarship Fund
Dahl Fund President

OMG ...at my end,

I used to be the Scholarship Chair for the Dahl Fund...now I am just the President. Rarely do I call a winner on first contact. The young woman I called on Sunday was literally dancing on the ceiling. Similar results are coming in from other schools. I like to say that "There is no crying in aviation"...but yes we are getting some of that as well. I honestly mean that a mere $1,000 dollar award is rocking some of these young peoples world.($18,000 total in giving this year). These young aviators are so overboard, just to be noticed and considered, makes a huge difference.

Denny, Sandy Dahl and the rest of our Board love you all and thank you for noticing our endeavor.

David D Dosch
President Captain Jason Dahl Scholarshp Fund
360-239-2458

Yep I leave my phone number.
Old May 1, 2012, 4:49 pm

Programs: TSA/INS/FBI Platinum (stopped last 12 of 13 int'l returns - the computer broke once)
I chair a small scholarship fund for another organization so I know what you mean. We just had our application deadline pass and we'll be reviewing and awarding those scholarships in the next few months.
Old May 2, 2012, 12:22 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2MM Flier, SPG Plt, Hilton Dia
When the American Airlines Tri-Motor was found an offer was made to pay for an hours ride. The owner could not accept any compensation because of insurance. And since there is not enough demand for rides to make it worth while and to cover his libality he did not accept our offer but made one of his own. He donated the ride for the Flyer Talk raffle.

At a much younger age when I was trying to accumulate flight time I would hang out at a small airport and help anyone flying in with their tie downs, transportation to a diner, wash their plane etc.....I eventually received rides in numerous aircraft and was able to log the time. My seat mile cost was $0.00 and my time involved was worth escaping the bonds of earth. We called this being an airport bum!

All participants in this fund raiser are invited to attend the flight and you will personally meet the owner of the Golden Wings Museum. After the flight he will give a personal tour of his vintage aircraft collection. I suggest you google Greg Herrick and volunteer for one of his events and who knows what might happen.

Another choice is to purchase a chance at $25. The more chances you take the price drops to as low as $5. For example for $200 you get 40 chances. $500 you get 100.

If the winner takes their ride on June 2nd the airport which the museum is located is having an "Aviation Days". Aircraft fly-in, pancake breakfast, fun activities and a swing dance in the Golden Wings Museum in the evening. Check out the events link on their web site for photos and videos from last years event. This would be a great place to have a "DO"

SomeGuy.....As of today we are at $2975 and our goal is $3000 and we still have 10 days remaining so it looks like our goal will be exceeded. Thank you all!!! On another note only 503 chances were purchased so your odds are pretty good. 1 in 500 odds on a Tri-Motor ride is better than getting upgraded.

Capt Denny
Originally Posted by pilotddd
OMG ...at my end,

I used to be the Scholarship Chair for the Dahl Fund...now I am just the President. Rarely do I call a winner on first contact. The young woman I called on Sunday was literally dancing on the ceiling. Similar results are coming in from other schools. I like to say that "There is no crying in aviation"...but yes we are getting some of that as well. I honestly mean that a mere $1,000 dollar award is rocking some of these young peoples world.($18,000 total in giving this year). These young aviators are so overboard, just to be noticed and considered, makes a huge difference.

Denny, Sandy Dahl and the rest of our Board love you all and thank you for noticing our endeavor.

David D Dosch
President Captain Jason Dahl Scholarshp Fund
360-239-2458

Yep I leave my phone number.
Fantastic news -- thank you BOTH for the updates!!!
Old May 2, 2012, 3:06 pm

Goal Was Reached

May 1st was a great day for the Capt Jason Dahl Scholarship. Our $3000 goal was reached and surpassed. Currently we are at $4350. Thank you all who participated. We have 26 donors including one from New Zeland and Trinidad with a cumulation of 757 chances for the ride.
Old May 2, 2012, 3:27 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2MM Flier, SPG Plt, Hilton Dia
Thumbs up

May 1st was a great day for the Capt Jason Dahl Scholarship. Our $3000 goal was reached and surpassed. Currently we are at $4350. Thank you all who participated. We have 26 donors including one from New Zeland and Trinidad with a cumulation of 757 chances for the ride.
:-:Wonderful!:-:

No need to stop yet...let's see how high we can get that number over the next week!
Old May 2, 2012, 9:08 pm

I'm In

As I live a few thousand yards from MSP, as the 'bird' flies (thankfully now under a very active runway), I might be available to get the winner from MSP to the flight. The museum looks interesting. I had no idea it was less than an hour from me.

So, if you are going to be in town, PM me.
Old May 2, 2012, 10:34 pm

Thanks for your donation

Originally Posted by Comicwoman
As I live a few thousand yards from MSP, as the 'bird' flies (thankfully now under a very active runway), I might be available to get the winner from MSP to the flight. The museum looks interesting. I had no idea it was less than an hour from me.

So, if you are going to be in town, PM me.
Comicwoman, Looking at the addresses of the 28 donors you are the first to be from the MSP area. Your donation put us at $4450 just short of midnight CST on May 2nd. If you know of any other Flyer Talkers in the area invite them to join our Jason Dahl Scholarship drive. All those who participate can go to the Golden Wings Museum to watch the winner take their flight and then get a private tour of Greg Herricks museum of vintage aircraft. You can scope out an aircraft that maybe Flyer Talk can use for next May's scholarship drive.

Capt Denny

Capt Denny
Old May 4, 2012, 4:58 am

Programs: QF, AA, UA, AS, SW, CO
Everyone may as well band together & buy extra chances, or give up hope... I have bought tickets ... Usually I win ...

May I put in a vote for 21July if I win? I can change my current flight booking to the US to include this date, with money changing hands between me & Qantas, if I win a seat..

G'Day to all the Dahl folk
Old May 4, 2012, 7:40 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
Originally Posted by Storyteller
Everyone may as well band together & buy extra chances, or give up hope... I have bought tickets ... Usually I win ...

May I put in a vote for 21July if I win? I can change my current flight booking to the US to include this date, with money changing hands between me & Qantas, if I win a seat..

G'Day to all the Dahl folk
The owner of the plane has said that June 2nd would work best for him.
Old May 4, 2012, 12:06 pm

May 4th Donations Update

As I was typing May 4th my hand trembled a bit. I was a student at Kent State University on May 4th 1970 where the students were protesting the United States involvement in the Vietman War. On that day things got out of hand and four students were killed and nine wounded by the Ohio National Guard.

We have 29 donors for the Stinson Tri-Motor ride and have accumulated $4675 in donations. Thank You All

Capt Denny
Old May 4, 2012, 8:03 pm

Programs: COdbaUA Platinum 2MM
Great cause! Just added $100 to your scholarship fund.
Old May 4, 2012, 10:14 pm

Originally Posted by 1KChinito
Great cause! Just added $100 to your scholarship fund.
Thanks 1KChinto we just reached $4775. Thanks for your support.

Capt Denny
Old May 4, 2012, 11:17 pm

Programs: QF, AA, UA, AS, SW, CO
Originally Posted by kipper
The owner of the plane has said that June 2nd would work best for him.
Ah. Just going from SanDiego 1K's first post offering dates June/July that are mutually convenient.
Didn't read all the other posts, midnight, jetlagged, wanted to get donation paid & in while I had internet service.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.