Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Flyertalk Cares
Reload this Page >

Mount Kilimanjaro climb for Self Help Africa

Mount Kilimanjaro climb for Self Help Africa

Reply

Old Sep 17, 11, 1:25 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Dubai
Programs: EY Silver, SPG Platinum
Posts: 240
Mount Kilimanjaro climb for Self Help Africa

Hi All,

In December I will be climbing Mount Kilimanjaro and aiming to raise funds for Self Help Africa which is an international development agency implementing long term rural development projects in nine countries in Africa - Burkina Faso, Ghana, Eritrea, Ethiopia, Kenya, Malawi, Togo, Uganda, and Zambia.

For 2009, 92% of money raised was spent on charitable activities (http://www.selfhelpafrica.org/selfhelp/Main/finance.htm) with the remaining 8% spent on fundraising (7%) and governance (1%).

See the below links for more information about Self Help Africa:
To donate to Self Help Africa and find out more about my Mount Kilimanjaro climb, visit http://bit.ly/psvgTy.

Thanks!

Last edited by naitkris; Sep 17, 11 at 1:38 pm
naitkris is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17, 11, 2:33 pm
  #2  
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Mexico, Technical Support and Feedback, and The Suggestion Box
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: NorCal - SMF area
Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Posts: 60,274
naitkris, what a great project! I've spent some time in eastern, central and southern Africa, and am certainly aware of the necessity of some of the services and projects carried out by Self Help Africa. The fact SHA spends 92% on services and programs is truly commendable!

The first FlyerTalker I am aware of has now contributed, and now you are halfway to your contributions goal. Which route will you be using? If you can, photos of the climb - perhaps at Uhuru Point! - would be nice!

For those wanting to learn more, check these links out:

Self Help Africa homepage - http://www.selfhelpafrica.org/
Self Help Africa YouTube video (2 mins) - http://bit.ly/nBlbst
Mount Kilimanjaro Facts - http://bit.ly/r1awJX
JDiver is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17, 11, 3:59 pm
  #3  
Community Director
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Anywhere warm
Posts: 29,100
What a great cause. I've just made a small donation.

I really appreciate you giving the stats that show that most of the money raised actually goes for charitable effort.
SanDiego1K is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 11, 2:00 am
  #4  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Dubai
Programs: EY Silver, SPG Platinum
Posts: 240
Thanks a million JDiver and SanDiego1K!!

@JDiver - not sure which route I will take yet. Have you climbed it and recommend a route? Definitely will be taking lots of photos (and video) during the climb :-)

@SanDiego1K - yes, I think it is important given that not all charities have as much as 90-something % going to charitable activities and sometimes it is hard to find these figures.
naitkris is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 11, 12:51 pm
  #5  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Dubai
Programs: EY Silver, SPG Platinum
Posts: 240
Successfully summited Mt Kilimanjaro early yesterday morning. Took the Machame route. 1316 EUR raised so far for Self Help Africa.

Have quite a lot of photos, including a few at Uhuru Peak, for which a new sign was erected last week. Friday 9th December 2011 marked the 50th anniversary of Tanzania independence.
naitkris is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 11, 2:52 pm
  #6  
Community Director
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Anywhere warm
Posts: 29,100
Originally Posted by naitkris View Post
Successfully summited Mt Kilimanjaro early yesterday morning. Took the Machame route. 1316 EUR raised so far for Self Help Africa.
Thanks for reporting back on your accomplishment and the support for the fund.
SanDiego1K is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 11, 7:22 pm
  #7  
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Mexico, Technical Support and Feedback, and The Suggestion Box
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: NorCal - SMF area
Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Posts: 60,274
Congratulations, naitkris - I should say, hongero sana! (Kiswahili)
JDiver is offline  
Reply With Quote

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread