Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Flyertalk Cares
Reload this Page >

Polaris Project: Please help to stop modern slavery and trafficking

Old Dec 30, 2011, 5:50 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Eurostar Carte Blanche, QR Silver, Accor, BA

Please help me to reach my fundraising goal of $500 and help bring an end to human trafficking and sexual slavery.

http://www.polarisproject.org/

Polaris Project is a US/Japanese based NGO that combats human trafficking and modern slavery, and provides help and outreach services to victims, as well as raising awareness of the problem.

Please Donate Here

Thanks for any help you can offer in helping to reach this goal!

David
Old Dec 30, 2011, 7:49 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Fantastic! Thanks for adding Polaris Project, David.

Charity Navigator awards Polaris four stars (one of eight rated US charities is able to earn such a high rating) and "Google.org will be funding the creation of this $1.8 million unified initiative in the United States" - very good signs. The IRS database verifies Polaris Project as tax-deductible under Internal Revenue Code section 501(c)(3).

Slavery still happens - and there are slaves even in the US, not to mention trafficking for sexual purposes, though it was outlawed (prefaced by America's most bloody war in terms of percentage of population and number of soldiers dead) in 1865 when the Thirteenth Amendment to the Constitution was passed.
Old Dec 31, 2011, 5:19 am
Original Poster

Thanks JDiver... indeed you are right, slavery is still very much present around the world, with sexual exploitation rife in many countries, even in the west.

Here's one of many documentaries on the issue of sexual slavery: Al-Jazeera - Sex Slaves.
Old Jan 3, 2012, 1:07 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
Something that I learned in October was that many organizations use empty lipstick tubes to give hotline/help numbers to those who they suspect are victims of trafficking. Unique use of a simple item to help.
Old Jan 19, 2012, 4:24 am

Programs: I travel for fun these days.
I'm sure the majority of the North American population would be shocked to learn the truth about the prevalence of slavery and human trafficking still rampant in our society... A statistic Mrs. DirtyDan often uses: The day the greatest number of women are trafficked (both willingly and unwillingly) for sexual purposes - Superbowl Day.
Old Jan 19, 2012, 7:33 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by kipper
Something that I learned in October was that many organizations use empty lipstick tubes to give hotline/help numbers to those who they suspect are victims of trafficking. Unique use of a simple item to help.
Pretty cool idea!

Originally Posted by DirtyDan
I'm sure the majority of the North American population would be shocked to learn the truth about the prevalence of slavery and human trafficking still rampant in our society... A statistic Mrs. DirtyDan often uses: The day the greatest number of women are trafficked (both willingly and unwillingly) for sexual purposes - Superbowl Day.
Indeed... because this often happens behind our backs, and you usually have to "look for it", I think that people do not realise the severity of the problem. By the way, what is the reason for the Superbowl statistic? Because everyone is busy watching TV so no-one notices what is going on, or because men just "misbehave" more on that day?

P.S. Please, don't forget to give! I'm sure once people start giving $5 or $10 to this deserving cause, more of my Facebook friends will join in! Thanks everyone!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.