Wiki Posts
Search

Make-A-Wish seeking donations of airline miles

Search this Thread

Old Jan 2, 2013, 10:53 pm
Original Poster

Programs: SPG Lifetime Plat, AA Gold, UA Gold, DL Silver, HH Gold, Vail Epic
Make-A-Wish seeking donations of airline miles

Make-A-Wish of the Tri-Counties is asking people to donate frequent flier miles to help grant the wishes of children with life-threatening medical conditions.

The donated miles are used to send the children from Santa Barbara, San Luis Obispo and Ventura counties on “wish trips” with their families.

United, Delta, Continental or US Airways miles can be donated at http://tri-counties.wish.org.

Full article: Make-A-Wish seeking donations of airline miles
Old Jan 2, 2013, 11:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

So how does that even work? Do airlines let you donate miles to orgs like this without transfer fees? Or do you have to book the tix in the name of the person who'll use the donation?
Old Jan 2, 2013, 11:50 pm

I suppose there is no tax deduction for donating miles versus other property/cash?
Old Jan 2, 2013, 11:51 pm

Programs: AA PLT, HH Gold, SPG/Marriott Gold
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/miles...eductible.html
Old Jan 3, 2013, 12:01 am

Programs: All, but no status!
I think the Make A Wish folks is a very worthwhile charity, but they could probably benefit greatly from some of our expertise in redeeming miles efficiently.
Old Jan 5, 2013, 9:52 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Just as we are not taxed for miles earned, we can not claim a tax deduction for miles we donate to those organizations authorized by the airlines to use them (or by "buying" seats with those miles for members or in support of projects of those organizations).

OTOH, if you accrue miles from winning a contest (or possibly a slug of bonus miles form a credit card offer, discussed elsewhere,) those are considered taxable, and may be considered deductible if you make a gift of them to an Internal Revenue Code 501 (c) (3) organization - but be sure to check with your tax accountant.

Originally Posted by syzygy
I suppose there is no tax deduction for donating miles versus other property/cash?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.