FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Flyertalk Cares (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/flyertalk-cares-688/)
-   -   2011 Capt. Jason Dahl Scholarship fund - contribute, you may win a T-6 "Texan" ride! (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/flyertalk-cares/1251443-2011-capt-jason-dahl-scholarship-fund-contribute-you-may-win-t-6-texan-ride.html)

Capt Denny Aug 31, 2011 7:41 pm

Just reached $2600 and it was from an United employee which is a Flyer Talker. At United I started a program on Jan1, 2011 called "Just A Buck". We ask employees to donate "Just A Buch" per paycheck and it is a payroll deduction. Unfortunately we cannot promote our charity on company property or computers so it is difficult to reach everyone. While you are out flying "The Friendly Skies" strike up a conversation with our employees and tell them about the program. If you have Face Book United friends send them the message.

Capt Jason Dahl shares the #1 spot on United's Charitable Giving program so it will be easy to find.

Thanks for all the donations.

Capt Denny

Capt Denny Sep 1, 2011 7:34 am

Capt Jason Dahl received a $2000 scholarship for flight training when he attended San Jose State University. To apply he had to write an essay titled, "Why I Want To Fly". Not only did he become a captain for United but he spent many years as an instructor teaching our future captains. Following in his footsteps we select our scholarship winners by asking them to write the same titled essay and submit it to our board. The board is comprised of his wife, Sandy and eleven friends which include five United Captains.

This years winners are;

Metro State Charles Brumfiel

SJSU Justin Fernandez

Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University Andrew Voss

Central Washington University Michael Knuchell

Southern Illinois University Christopher Leffelman

University of North Dakota Daniel Schuman

Western Michigan University Michael Schwingel

Capt Denny

Jac747 Sep 1, 2011 2:25 pm

Just donated also and welcome to FT. As an ex-airline employee myself, the industry holds a special place in my heart and this is a wonderful idea for a scholarship.

SkiAdcock Sep 1, 2011 6:02 pm

Folks we need to raise $2,400 in 9 days. This is FT! I know we can do it!

First, donate if you want to get the ride on the plane.

Second, donate if you can't do the ride on the plane but are willing to 'gift' it to someone else who would like it.

Third, donate even if you don't give two patooties about the plane ride but would like to support a good cause.

Fourth (but not least), donate in honor of a valued pilot who lost his life on 9/11.

Cheers.

dhammer53 Sep 1, 2011 9:31 pm

Sharon,

I know where you'll be able to find numerous Flyertalkers in the next 7 days that will gladly put us over the top. They'll be riding on SMD3. That's StarMegaDo. I'm sure you can put the squeeze on , opps, I mean find a volunteer to enter all those new donations at the various stops along the way.

Have a good weekend everyone. :cool:

SkiAdcock Sep 1, 2011 10:11 pm

Originally Posted by dhammer53 (Post 17039884)
Sharon,

I know where you'll be able to find numerous Flyertalkers in the next 7 days that will gladly put us over the top. They'll be riding on SMD3. That's StarMegaDo. I'm sure you can put the squeeze on , opps, I mean find a volunteer to enter all those new donations at the various stops along the way.

Have a good weekend everyone. :cool:

Are you volunteering? ;)

I attended SMD1 & SMD2 & was in charge of bending arms, er, raising funds for charity on SMD2 (it helps when you're on a plane with people drinking :D), but alas I will be overseas on a biz trip during SMD3/not attending & disconnected from FT, etc, the 6th-14th.

So for those not going on SMD3 but who are interested in points 1-4 in my post above dhammer's, get the word out!!!

Cheers.

bkramt1 Sep 2, 2011 6:51 am

I really haven't added much to FT in years, but I picked this up on a blog. What a great cause!! I'm in for a donation- so quick and easy. :D

Capt Denny Sep 2, 2011 9:00 am

Capt Jason Dahl worked in the United Training center as an instructor and evaluator. Being considered a management pilot he can pick and choose when he want's to fly. As a line pilot the formal word is called being displaced where as we get a call from a management pilot to fly our trip and we get to stay home and be paid. Not a bad deal. Jason's anniversary was on Sept 14th and he and his wife Sandy had plans so he called the New York based captain and displaced him from his trip...................

As of today we are at $3175

Capt Denny

Captain Dan Sep 2, 2011 9:54 am

This is a letter from a recent scholarship recipent. We had problems posting it here, so I have posted it on the Radial Velocity FB page. You will read how effective your donations towards the fund will be.

If anyone can tell me how to post/paste/upload a jpg here, let me know.

http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Rad...15308101897979

Dan

Captain Dan Sep 2, 2011 10:36 am

All right folks, I got some expert guidance on getting the jpg of the letter on the post. Let me give it a shot:

http://i.imgur.com/2qTrQ.jpg

squeakr Sep 2, 2011 11:26 am

wow!

just posted the link to my FB page

AND emailed my niece who is a private pilot - hopefully her friends will get on board so to speak.

SkiAdcock Sep 2, 2011 3:40 pm

Wow - I got all teary-eyed reading that. Great cause.

Cheers.

dhammer53 Sep 2, 2011 9:17 pm

Originally Posted by Capt Denny (Post 17042204)
Capt Jason Dahl worked in the United Training center as an instructor and evaluator. Being considered a management pilot he can pick and choose when he want's to fly. As a line pilot the formal word is called being displaced where as we get a call from a management pilot to fly our trip and we get to stay home and be paid. Not a bad deal. Jason's anniversary was on Sept 14th and he and his wife Sandy had plans so he called the New York based captain and displaced him from his trip...................

Denny, you just took my breath away. :(

Lots of articles appearing here in the NYC area. Some of us are having difficulty reading them. Many of us here in NY attended memorials for those that were missing. I have to tell you that it's very uncomfortable attending a memorial, rather than a funeral. The sadness is multiplied without a body. :( So sad.

While the anniversary (sounds so nice??) is approaching 10 years, it still seems like yesterday to those that lost love ones.

Come on Flyertalkers... Step up.

Please excuse me while I get a tissue.

pilotddd Sep 3, 2011 8:42 am

Great to know you

Hi Guy's,

I have been involved with the Capt. Dahl Fund from it's inception.
Jason and I were new hires at UAL. He was my best friend.
Your giving and kind thoughts are more than you know. His wife Sandy
also serves on our Board and is overcome by your generousity.

David D. Dosch
President Captain Jason Dahl Scholarship Fund

(or)
Cap'n Dave

dendahl1 Sep 3, 2011 6:35 pm

Than you from Sandy Dahl

Hi, I am Sandy Dahl the widow of Captain Jason Dahl United 93 Sep.11th,2001http://dahlfund.org
I want to express my extreme thanks to all those who help and support our scholarship fund and helping us turn out some top shelf future aviators. I want you to know every cent goes to students. We have some fine members on our board. An accountant, attorney, microsoft exec,Zerox exec,a professor from Metro state and a number of UAL Captains and many friends of Jason. They all work for FREE. We are all so proud to be suported by your organization. We hope you have a great time with our raffel and auction items. And a great time in Denver. Once again thank you so much!! Sandy Dahl :)