Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Flyertalk Cares
Reload this Page >

2011 Capt. Jason Dahl Scholarship fund - contribute, you may win a T-6 "Texan" ride!

2011 Capt. Jason Dahl Scholarship fund - contribute, you may win a T-6 "Texan" ride!

Old Sep 16, 11, 8:17 pm

Programs: Captain Jason Dahl Scholarship Fund
Dahl Fund

FT has really came thru for the Dahl Fund.

If I have not thanked you enough please forgive me for having to return to my day job. I have to say I have never enjoyed sending emails sooo much.
Emails filled with THANK YOU.

David
Old Sep 18, 11, 12:24 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, TAP, Mexico, Technical Support and Feedback, and The Suggestion Box

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
As many of you know, the National Championship Air Races at Reno-Stead Airport (Nevada) were canceled this year on Friday, 16 September, due to the 4:30 PM local time (2330 GMT/UTC) violent crash of vintage P-51 "Galloping Ghost" piloted by veteran stunt pilot and racer Jimmy Leeward. Though Jimmy and eight others were killed, and about 56 admitted to the hospital, Team Radial Velocity (which was fourth in the trial heats) are all fine and were packing up to go home. Some believe Jimmy's final actions prevented the aircraft from crashing directly into the main grandstands.

The crash is under investigation; some photos seem to show physical loss of an elevator trim tab prior to what some witnesses say was the aircraft's sudden lurch to starboard, half barrel roll and pitch change to near vertical ascending, followed by an abrupt descent at high speed into the tarmac directly in the front of a VIP grandstand.

Link to BBC online report, and link to CBS news report, and link to CBS' report of the NTSB beginnings of the investigation.

The Captain Jason Dahl Scholarship Fund will undoubtedly do what is expected with the funds so generously donated by FlyerTalkers, and help fund the aspiring careers of young people involved in the very costly, arduous studies and preparations of pilot training. Our best wishes and prayers to members of Team Radial Velocity and to all who were affected by this tragedy.

Last edited by JDiver; Sep 18, 11 at 2:22 pm Reason: correct
Old Sep 18, 11, 12:37 pm

BOX 66

One of the people I have keeping the pulse at SJSU tells me that my old box seats (66) were involved in the Reno Crash. After Jason's death in 2011 I quit going to the races so as to help with the Dahl Fund. Nuf said.

With the help of my Board and people like you we will work forward to help with The Future of Aviation.

Denny and I have some exciting and FUN ideas for you folks in the near future.

We enjoy being part of your lives...if I dare speak for Denny!

David
Old Sep 18, 11, 1:02 pm
Moderator: Hilton Honors, Practical Travel Safety Issues & San Francisco

Programs: UA, Hilton, Starwood, Priceline
What JDiver said...

Originally Posted by JDiver View Post
As many of you know, the National Championship Air Races at Reno-Stead Airport (Nevada) were canceled this year on Friday, 16 September, due to the 4:30 PM local time (2330 GMT/UTC) violent crash of vintage P-51 "Galloping Ghost" piloted by veteran stunt pilot and racer Jimmy Leeward. Though Jimmy and eight others were killed, and about 56 admitted to the hospital, Team Radial Velocity (which was fourth in the trial heats) are all fine and were packing up to go home. Some believe Jimmy's final actions prevented the aircraft from crashing directly into the main grandstands.

The crash is under investigation; some photos seem to show physical loss of a trim tab (either elevator or rudder) prior to what some witnesses say was the aircraft's sudden lurch to starboard, half barrel roll and pitch change to near vertical descent at high speed into the tarmac directly in the front of a VIP grandstand.

Link to BBC online report, and link to CBS news report, and link to CBS' report of the NTSB beginnings of the investigation.

The Captain Jason Dahl Scholarship Fund will undoubtedly do what is expected with the funds so generously donated by FlyerTalkers, and help fund the aspiring careers of young people involved in the very costly, arduous studies and preparations of pilot training. Our best wishes and prayers to members of Team Radial Velocity and to all who were affected by this tragedy.
Old Sep 18, 11, 3:32 pm
Community Director
Original Poster

We've now moved this thread from the Community forum to the newly opened FlyerTalk Cares! forum. A permanent redirect has been left in the Community forum.

Thanks to all for the generous gifts to the Dahl fund.
Old Sep 18, 11, 11:05 pm
Community Director
Original Poster

Here is the plaque put up at United to honor their employees who lost their lives 9/11.

And here we have Captain Denny drawing the name of the raffle winner:

Proof that pshuang was the lucky winner:

Old Sep 19, 11, 8:21 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, TAP, Mexico, Technical Support and Feedback, and The Suggestion Box

Thanks for sharing the photos of the drawing event - and re-congratulations, Ping!
Old Sep 19, 11, 5:23 pm

Captain Jason Dahl Fund

The 5 Captain's of the Dahl Fund (Five members of the 15) are plotting something fun to reward your kindness. Hopeful launch in early October. It will be small but fun.

If your not having fun your not doing it right.

David
Old Sep 19, 11, 7:02 pm

N.B. Since the move from CommunityBuzz! and their loving care, to follow the guideline of one thread per charity in this Forum, we have closed previous threads; this thread has now been cleaned up a bit to freshen up after the trip.

The Captain Jason Dahl Scholarship Fund 10 year anniversary events in Denver CO 9-11-11 notice can be read here.

The 2010 Capt. Jason Dahl Scholarship Fund Auction thread can be read here.

lucky9876coins' Jan 2010 announcement Captain Jason Dahl Scholarship Fund -- FlyerTalk Cares Charity can be read here.

JDiver, Senior Moderator

Last edited by JDiver; Sep 19, 11 at 7:19 pm
Old Sep 19, 11, 7:08 pm

Our Creator moves in mysterious ways, David / pilotddd. You have an important task to do and you weren't in Box 66 - glad you're with us, even as I think with sadness of Jimmy and the fans who are no longer with us and hope everyone injured recovers successfully.

Now we move on, from 9-11 and from this tragedy too; we celebrate life, those here and those before. I hope I can make the celebration you left seaters are putting together, if not, I have a motto too:

"Time flies whether you are having fun or not; it's up to us to make sure we plan some fun."
Old Sep 20, 11, 11:04 am

Programs: UA 1K 2MM Flier, SPG Plt, Hilton Dia
Originally Posted by Capt Denny View Post
Both FT and MP have been terrific over the last two weeks. From Mrs. Sandy Dahl and the other board members of The Capt Jason Dahl Scholarship we like to say Thank You. We greatly appreciate your personal and unselfish generosity. Our work together will produce not only skilled aviators but ones that are customer focused. Our team will follow their careed paths and be their mentors.

Todays total $8566
I'm still hoping to see that number grow closer to $10,000!

Last December when I met Captain Denny & Captain Dave is when I first learned about the Captain Jason Dahl Scholarship Fund. They really caught my attention that evening with what I heard about the Dahlfund, and in other conversations I've had with them since then. The board members of a NFP need to really believe in what they're doing, but this team is truly passionate about something they're doing in honor of their friend and neighbor to help others who want to enter the aviation field. It's an organization I'm happy to have learned about, wish I'd learned about it sooner, and look forward to supporting in any way I can going forward.

Originally Posted by pilotddd View Post
The 5 Captain's of the Dahl Fund (Five members of the 15) are plotting something fun to reward your kindness. Hopeful launch in early October. It will be small but fun.

If your not having fun your not doing it right.

David
After how many years, you're still the Joker. I'm looking forward to this being launched!
Old Sep 27, 11, 5:28 pm

Sandy Dahl wish's to send you all a MEGA thank You ! How is the best way to get her to do that on the FT site. I'm still in the weeds myself.
David
Old Sep 27, 11, 5:58 pm
Community Director
Original Poster

Sandy Dahl wish's to send you all a MEGA thank You ! How is the best way to get her to do that on the FT site.
She is already a registered member. You'll see a post she made earlier this month here. We'd love for her to post again.
Old Sep 27, 11, 11:35 pm
Moderator: Hilton Honors, Practical Travel Safety Issues & San Francisco

Programs: UA, Hilton, Starwood, Priceline
i think the page #'s got changed in the merger?

Sandy Dahl wish's to send you all a MEGA thank You ! How is the best way to get her to do that on the FT site. I'm still in the weeds myself.
David
Mrs. Dahl's screen name is

dendahl1

and she posted on post #75 in the thread San Diego 1K referred to.
Old Sep 28, 11, 4:57 am

Sandy Dahl

I will have her post to this site...but she wish's to get it out (thanks) to ALL of you.

David

Search this Thread
Search Engine: