Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Flyertalk Cares
Reload this Page >

FlyerTalk Cares: Seeking donations for Alberta Cancer Foundation's Underwear Affair

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

FlyerTalk Cares: Seeking donations for Alberta Cancer Foundation's Underwear Affair

Search this Thread

Old Feb 19, 2012, 3:22 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
I think you need a better "costume" for this year.
Old Feb 19, 2012, 8:48 pm
Original Poster

Programs: HH Silver
Originally Posted by kipper
I think you need a better "costume" for this year.
Whaddya mean? I bought new undies!
Old Feb 20, 2012, 6:32 am

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
Originally Posted by tcook052
Whaddya mean? I bought new undies!
I think you need a superhero costume.
Old Mar 23, 2012, 8:40 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
I think people should refrain from "dropping everything" this year; maybe the police will be more lenient with you in 20121.

Count me in...
Originally Posted by tcook052
The official numbers are out and 1,623 people dropped everything for underwear cancers raising an incredible $913,000! Completed the 5K walk in 53:38:47 at a comfortable walking pace with my sister so a fun event shared with family and all for a good cause.
I see they don't do this underwear run / walk in winter, even in the West Edmonton Mall... (though that might add an interesting dimensionality - winter underwear run!)
Old Jun 25, 2012, 7:07 am
Original Poster

An update to this year's event. While the number of participants was down to 1252 the overall amount raised was only slightly off last year's at $787,000.

It was a gorgeous day and I got to enjoyed the walk with my 77-year-old mother who always wanted to join past event's but just hadn't made it happen. Between us we raised almost $1,000.

Next year signed up for the 10K run so gotta get started training early.

Thanks to those that gave generously.
Old Jan 16, 2013, 8:31 pm
Original Poster

I'll bump my fundraising thread to note I am running this year, I hope, on the 10K fun run raising funds for cancer research across Alberta and would really appreciate any donations. My personal webpage to donate from is here.

PS No new picture as last year I forgot to have family take one.
Old May 7, 2013, 12:10 am
Original Poster

As the event draws close and before I forget I'd like to thank those fellow FTers who generously donated to the cause, some of whom I was even able to thank in person at the recent Tokyo Do.
Old Jun 16, 2013, 11:44 am
Original Poster

The final numbers are in and over $650,000 was raised in this year's event, the 7th annual "Underwear Affair". Thanks to the generous FTers who donated to the cause! ^

In a press release issued after the event one statistic stood out to me:

"33% of diagnosed cancers in Alberta are those which occur below-the-waist which are prostate, colorectal, ovarian, testicular, bladder, cervical, and uterine cancers," said Myka Osinchuk, Chief Executive Officer of the Alberta Cancer Foundation.
Old Feb 26, 2014, 9:42 pm
Original Poster

The fundraising for the 2014 edition of this charity walk is well underway so am bumping this thread to again ask for fellow Flyertalkers support for this good cause which is raising funds for research of cancers which occur below the waist. The Edmonton Underwear Affair goes 14th June and any size of donation is greatly appreciated.

The website to donate is here.
Old Aug 4, 2014, 7:41 am
Original Poster

While I had a scheduling conflict and so for the first time in years missed walking in the 2014 event I was able to donate almost $400 to the Alberta Cancer Foundation’s Underwear Affair and have already started towards my 2015 fundraising goal. If any generous member cares to donate to the cause my personal donation page is here and thanks to those who do donate to the 2015 event which is now just 316 days away.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.