Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Flyertalk Cares
Reload this Page >

The FlyerTalk BOINC Team: Donate your computer's idle time for research!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 19, 2014, 12:50 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: jackal

:-: Donate your unused processor cycles for research! :-:

Get started:
  1. Download BOINC here
  2. Find one or more projects whose goals interest you from this page* (here's another, more comprehensive, page with some descriptions, and here's a Wikipedia page as well--pick from the projects with the green "yes" under the "BOINC based" column)
    • *If you have a compatible ATI or NVIDIA graphics card, choose at least one project with the appropriate logo to take advantage of your GPU's extra horsepower
Then:

Without an account manager
  1. In BOINC, click "Add Project" and choose the project from the list. If a project is not listed, enter the URL of the project's website
  2. Log in to your account on each project's website, search for a team named FlyerTalk, and click join
  3. Repeat for any additional projects you have joined

OR: with an account manager:
(An account manager allows easier control of multiple projects and/or multiple computers)
  1. Register with an account manager (BAM, GridRepublic)
  2. Log into the account manager and select projects to join (detailed steps for BAM, GridRepublic)
  3. Join the FlyerTalk team for each of your projects in the account manager
  4. From within BOINC, click "Add Project" and choose to add an account manager. Enter the details of your account manager, and everything else will start automatically!
Print Wikipost

The FlyerTalk BOINC Team: Donate your computer's idle time for research!

Search this Thread

Old Apr 19, 2010, 1:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by gj83
Where is
http://www.malariacontrol.net/team_d...hp?teamid=2338
on the team stats?

I know Malaria Control is over capacity (they are always running out of work so I had to add some other projects)
I think the stats sites only pick up teams that have measurable RAC. If you look at the link you posted, it shows the team as having:

Total credit 0
Recent average credit 0

I'm not entirely sure why, since you do have credit (albeit a RAC of only 1.65). Give it a few more days (and accumulate a bit more credit) and we'll see if it shows up. If MalariaControl.net's team stats start showing more than 0 credit but the stats sites have not picked it up, then I'll look into it more.
Old Apr 19, 2010, 1:29 pm

Programs: Ozark Go-Getters Gold, Statler Star Silver, others from a variety of alternate timelines
The person who's leading in "total credits" is me (guess you all know my real name now, not that it was that hard to find ) -- I leave my Mac Pro at home on 24/7, and it's been doing BOINC projects when idle for quite a while now.
Old Apr 22, 2010, 4:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Welcome to new team member kendrasa!

And --we were featured in TalkMail! If you came here because of that mention, join the team and say hello!
Old Apr 22, 2010, 4:46 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
I am on a slow interweb connection with a small finite cap on bandwith... how much bandwith does BOINC eat up?
Old Apr 22, 2010, 4:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by beckoa
I am on a slow interweb connection with a small finite cap on bandwith... how much bandwith does BOINC eat up?
Very little. Depending on the project you join, a typical workunit will run from less than a megabyte to just a couple of megabytes. Some of the more in-depth projects (CPDN, IIRC) may have larger workunits, but those will take many months of processing, and so you won't be downloading them as often.

I'd estimate you'd be looking at under 10MB per day, but don't hold me specifically to that number.
Old Apr 22, 2010, 7:46 am

Just downloaded BOINC and joined team for:
malariacontrol.net
Lattice Project
Einstein@home

Not sure why I can't see "Join this team" for SETI@home so can't join for this one.
Old Apr 24, 2010, 1:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

And a big welcome to matt and debonairy!

Originally Posted by debonairy
Not sure why I can't see "Join this team" for SETI@home so can't join for this one.
I went to the SETI@home website to see if I could find a page I could link to for you, but it appears you got it working, since you're listed as a new member.
Old Apr 24, 2010, 1:50 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by jackal
Very little. Depending on the project you join, a typical workunit will run from less than a megabyte to just a couple of megabytes. Some of the more in-depth projects (CPDN, IIRC) may have larger workunits, but those will take many months of processing, and so you won't be downloading them as often.

I'd estimate you'd be looking at under 10MB per day, but don't hold me specifically to that number.
Well the first day it ate 140mb!!!

Oh well

Guess I've joined as well... just waiting for 'validation' of some data
Old Apr 24, 2010, 3:21 am

I managed to find the link eventually. Must find a team through "your account" for the link to appear.
Old Apr 24, 2010, 9:51 pm

Originally Posted by beckoa
Well the first day it ate 140mb!!!

Oh well

Guess I've joined as well... just waiting for 'validation' of some data
And I'm on the board... at the bottom
Old Apr 25, 2010, 12:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Just a note: If you have a compatible graphics card, joining a GPU-enabled project is a great way to help boost our Team FlyerTalk position! I've been letting my GPU at work crunch on Collatz Conjecture (the only project that works with my particular ATI GPU), and it's been helping us out substantially.

Instructions for how to do this are in the link above, but the first key is to open your BOINC client, look at the Messages tab or window, scroll to the top, and look about 10-15 lines down for a mention of a compatible GPU. You should see either "ATI GPU," "NVIDIA GPU," or "No usable GPUs found." If you have a GPU, then attach to one of the projects listed in the above link and watch your recent average credit soar!

I'm also going to add this note to the first post.
Old Apr 25, 2010, 1:55 am

Joined team for climateprediction.net and Collatz Conjecture.
Great tip about the gpu projects. I was disappointed because I thought only nvidia was supported and I couldn't put my ati to work.
Old Apr 25, 2010, 1:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Joined team for climateprediction.net and Collatz Conjecture.
Great tip about the gpu projects. I was disappointed because I thought only nvidia was supported and I couldn't put my ati to work.
Sweet! Hope to see some extra oomph in our credit standings soon!

The other project that works with ATI cards is MilkyWay@home, but it requires a double-precision ATI card, which mine isn't. Might be worth testing on yours if you want.
Old Apr 25, 2010, 2:24 am

Originally Posted by jackal
Sweet! Hope to see some extra oomph in our credit standings soon!

The other project that works with ATI cards is MilkyWay@home, but it requires a double-precision ATI card, which mine isn't. Might be worth testing on yours if you want.
That was a fast reply lol. Joined team for MilkyWay@home and AQUA@home.

Turns out my ATI Mobility does not support double precision. I think the desktop version does. Pity
Old Apr 25, 2010, 2:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

That was a fast reply lol. Joined team for MilkyWay@home and AQUA@home.

Turns out my ATI Mobility does not support double precision. I think the desktop version does. Pity
Ah, well. At least Collatz Conjecture works for us. Indulging the curiosity of early-20th-century mathematicians isn't quite as beneficial to humanity as analyzing stellar phenomena, but something's better than nothing!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.