Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Flyertalk Cares
Reload this Page >

The FlyerTalk BOINC Team: Donate your computer's idle time for research!

The FlyerTalk BOINC Team: Donate your computer's idle time for research!

Hide Wikipost
Old Apr 19, 14, 11:16 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: jackal
Wiki Link

[Team FlyerTalk Combined BOINC Stats on BOINCstats.com]
[Team FlyerTalk Combined BOINC Stats on AllProjectStats.com]

Donate your unused processor cycles for research!

Get started:
  1. Download BOINC here
  2. Find one or more projects whose goals interest you from this page* (here's another, more comprehensive, page with some descriptions, and here's a Wikipedia page as well--pick from the projects with the green "yes" under the "BOINC based" column)
    • *If you have a compatible ATI or NVIDIA graphics card, choose at least one project with the appropriate logo to take advantage of your GPU's extra horsepower
Then:

Without an account manager
  1. In BOINC, click "Add Project" and choose the project from the list. If a project is not listed, enter the URL of the project's website
  2. Log in to your account on each project's website, search for a team named FlyerTalk, and click join
  3. Repeat for any additional projects you have joined

OR: with an account manager:
(An account manager allows easier control of multiple projects and/or multiple computers)
  1. Register with an account manager (BAM, GridRepublic)
  2. Log into the account manager and select projects to join (detailed steps for BAM, GridRepublic)
  3. Join the FlyerTalk team for each of your projects in the account manager
  4. From within BOINC, click "Add Project" and choose to add an account manager. Enter the details of your account manager, and everything else will start automatically!
Print Wikipost

Old Dec 15, 14, 4:13 am

Location: In theory near BHD or ABZ, but usually a hotel in another country
Programs: Seniors Bus Pass, Gold with BA, but no Moroccan Gold
I see that we now have a 25% badge (Bronze Medal?) on the Team, and I have one against my profile on BOINC too.

I have a few machines that I let run all processors in the background, as I am usually on the road and access them remotely. I think since I put the 8 core one with GPU to work about a year ago my WU's have shot up.

I am "ferret" on BOINC, by the way. I was doing SETI etc long before FT hence a different user name.