Jacksonville/Orlando to St. Augustine, Without a Car

Search this Thread

Old Nov 25, 2015, 9:26 pm
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks
Original Poster
Shangri-La Contributor Badge

Jacksonville/Orlando to St. Augustine, Without a Car

Hey there FT,

I may be in St. Augustine late next week. Can't rent a car, so I'm wondering what your suggestions are to get from either Jacksonville or Orlando to St. Augustine by train and/or bus

AFAIK, the closest Amtrak station is Palatka, but Greyhound's website doesn't show anything useufl for St. Augustine.

(Also, if anyone has local food recommendations - dishes, not restaurants - I'd appreciate them.)

Thanks,
BmB
Old Nov 26, 2015, 9:48 am

Programs: DL-Dirt Medallion;US-Cast Iron Preferred; HH-Gold; Avis First
It doesn't look like Megabus goes to St. Augustine either, afaik there are no other bus options from Orlando. I've never tried them, but it looks like this company offers bus service from St. Augustine to Jacksonville:
http://www.sunshinebus.net/routes/sysmap.html
They also go from St. Augustine to Hastings, which is a few miles from Palatka, I'm not sure if there is any taxi service that could bridge the gap to the train station.
Old Nov 26, 2015, 10:53 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by djk7
It doesn't look like Megabus goes to St. Augustine either, afaik there are no other bus options from Orlando. I've never tried them, but it looks like this company offers bus service from St. Augustine to Jacksonville:
http://www.sunshinebus.net/routes/sysmap.html
They also go from St. Augustine to Hastings, which is a few miles from Palatka, I'm not sure if there is any taxi service that could bridge the gap to the train station.
Thanks for your help, djk7!

(By the way, have you visited Palatka? What have they done to "deserve" Amtrak?)
Old Nov 26, 2015, 11:17 am

Originally Posted by BuildingMyBento
(By the way, have you visited Palatka? What have they done to "deserve" Amtrak?)
According to this website, the Palatka Station is over 100 years old. It was built in 1908 as part of the Atlantic Coast Line Railroad.

http://www.greatamericanstations.com/Stations/PAK

If I had to guess, I'd say Palatka (FL - population 10,482) has an Amtrak station for the same reason there are stations in Jesup (GA - population 10,302) and Hamlet (NC - population 6,605). That reason: the track happens to go through the town and there's been a train station there for over 100 years. Plus, there's not any other larger cities nearby that are along the track.
Old Nov 26, 2015, 4:30 pm

Programs: DL-Dirt Medallion;US-Cast Iron Preferred; HH-Gold; Avis First
When Henry Flagler originally built the railroad around 100 years ago, I wouldn't be surprised that towns like Palatka came to have stations because they happened to be along the planned route to south Florida as opposed to the railroad going out of its way to go through the towns. I'm no expert on steam railways, but my understanding is that they needed fairly regular stops/stations to fill up the water tanks, and maybe even take on coal.
Old Nov 27, 2015, 7:51 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by writerguyfl
According to this website, the Palatka Station is over 100 years old. It was built in 1908 as part of the Atlantic Coast Line Railroad.

http://www.greatamericanstations.com/Stations/PAK

If I had to guess, I'd say Palatka (FL - population 10,482) has an Amtrak station for the same reason there are stations in Jesup (GA - population 10,302) and Hamlet (NC - population 6,605). That reason: the track happens to go through the town and there's been a train station there for over 100 years. Plus, there's not any other larger cities nearby that are along the track.
Originally Posted by djk7
When Henry Flagler originally built the railroad around 100 years ago, I wouldn't be surprised that towns like Palatka came to have stations because they happened to be along the planned route to south Florida as opposed to the railroad going out of its way to go through the towns. I'm no expert on steam railways, but my understanding is that they needed fairly regular stops/stations to fill up the water tanks, and maybe even take on coal.
Thanks for your replies, writerguyfl and djk7.

Makes sense...though sadly I may now not being going down there after all. Still, this is good info to have.
Old Nov 27, 2015, 8:20 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Palatka is on the St. John's river and has been relatively significant in agriculture for the region. My guess is that's why the rail line came inland there rather than staying on the coast.

To the initial query, there are no good options. I lived in the area for ~20 years. Public transit just isn't the thing in that area.

A flight to JAX, taxi to the Avenues Mall (which won't be fast nor cheap; this says $70ish) then the Purple Line of that Sunshine Bus service (also never heard of them, but seems they're real) will get you from an airport to downtown St. Augustine, but it will take at least 3x as long as driving.

Also, http://www.airportshuttlestaugustine.com/.

Last edited by sbm12; Nov 27, 2015 at 8:29 pm
Old Nov 30, 2015, 8:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Silver
Originally Posted by BuildingMyBento
Hey there FT,

(Also, if anyone has local food recommendations - dishes, not restaurants - I'd appreciate them.)

Thanks,
BmB
Some local dish ideas, though not sure some of them make it all the way up to St Augustine.

Conch Fritters, Conch Chowder - The chowder is spicy.
Fish Dip - Florida's version of chis and salsa.
Fresh fish - Grouper, Wahoo, Cobia.

Gator Tail.
Old Dec 2, 2015, 9:01 am

Programs: Delta Plat, Southwest RR, HHonors Diamond, Hertz PC, National EE
Originally Posted by sbm12
Palatka is on the St. John's river and has been relatively significant in agriculture for the region. My guess is that's why the rail line came inland there rather than staying on the coast.

To the initial query, there are no good options. I lived in the area for ~20 years. Public transit just isn't the thing in that area.

A flight to JAX, taxi to the Avenues Mall (which won't be fast nor cheap; this says $70ish) then the Purple Line of that Sunshine Bus service (also never heard of them, but seems they're real) will get you from an airport to downtown St. Augustine, but it will take at least 3x as long as driving.

Also, http://www.airportshuttlestaugustine.com/.
The Sunshine Bus Company is a legit public bus service. It's operated by the St Johns County Council on Aging. Basically a joint public/private partnership between the COA and the St. Johns County Board of County Commissioners. 1hr and 15 mins to go from the Avenues Mall to US1 and Kings Street (entrance to downtown SA) is pretty good! That's normally a 40 min drive down US1.

http://www.sunshinebus.net/index.htm

Also a fund tidbit about Palatka (my wife is from there), it was once home to the second largest cypress mill in the world til it closed in 1944. Timber continues to be a substantial industry to the area.
Old Dec 5, 2015, 11:33 am

Programs: IAMAW Local 368/HAL 2 Star Mariner
Besides the bus and train options, you might want to look into Uber or Lyft if that can fit your budget.

As for railway stations in Florida, yep, most of them were built just after the 20th century began or a few decades past. Thankfully, they have largely been subject to renovations over the years.

-LPDAL
Old Dec 8, 2015, 1:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Acapulco - Gold, Panama - Red, Timothy Leary 8 Mile High Club
Originally Posted by pbiflyer
Some local dish ideas, though not sure some of them make it all the way up to St Augustine.

Conch Fritters, Conch Chowder - The chowder is spicy.
Fish Dip - Florida's version of chis and salsa.
Fresh fish - Grouper, Wahoo, Cobia.

Gator Tail.
Shellfish: Oysters, mussels, clams, crab, shrimp and scallops are all caught off the Florida coast and served raw in the shell (clams and oysters) or cooked in a variety of ways.

Bar-be-que: although I would be careful south of the Panhandle as it's not really the south.

Cuban food.

Mullet dip.
Old Dec 10, 2015, 9:15 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for your replies, everyone!

My trip was indefinitely postponed...but with all of that delicious-sounding food waiting, hopefully it isn't postponed for long.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.