Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Finnair | Finnair Plus
Reload this Page >

No AY+ points from Qantas Premium Economy?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 7, 2009, 6:14 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold (OWE), Bonvoy Gold, HH Diamond, PriorityPass, AX Plat

We are flying HEL-LHR-HKG r/t this Summer, HEL-LHR on AY with booking class Y, LHR-HKG on QF with booking class T.

I was planning on crediting these points to Finnair Plus but couldn't find how many Plus-points we'd get for QF's T-class on Finnair's website. I gave Finnair Plus a call and according to a very friendly lady Qantas does not give out any points for either W or T-classes (both Premium Economy). I find that extremely hard to believe because at least Qantas and AA give 110% of miles flown.

Does anybody know if this truly is the case - no AY+ - points? If not which program do you suggest we should credit our points to? Any help would be much appreciated.
Old May 8, 2009, 1:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
Originally Posted by vulle
We are flying HEL-LHR-HKG r/t this Summer, HEL-LHR on AY with booking class Y, LHR-HKG on QF with booking class T.

I was planning on crediting these points to Finnair Plus but couldn't find how many Plus-points we'd get for QF's T-class on Finnair's website. I gave Finnair Plus a call and according to a very friendly lady Qantas does not give out any points for either W or T-classes (both Premium Economy). I find that extremely hard to believe because at least Qantas and AA give 110% of miles flown.

Does anybody know if this truly is the case - no AY+ - points? If not which program do you suggest we should credit our points to? Any help would be much appreciated.
Technically it's correct, W & T classes are not shown on AY's booking class table - I'd think it's more of a glitch than a feature.
Old May 8, 2009, 5:45 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by WilcoRoger
Technically it's correct, W & T classes are not shown on AY's booking class table - I'd think it's more of a glitch than a feature.
It really must be a glitch but according to Finnair they won't give me points. I wonder if I should join BAEC? Would I get both tier points and mileage with these booking classes? Do you know if BA requires flying with BA or can I earn mostly with AY (and sometimes flying BA to London and North America)? I have a Platinum AMEX so I could always transfer Membership Rewards-points to BAEC too.
Old May 8, 2009, 6:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It really must be a glitch but according to Finnair they won't give me points. I wonder if I should join BAEC? Would I get both tier points and mileage with these booking classes? Do you know if BA requires flying with BA or can I earn mostly with AY (and sometimes flying BA to London and North America)? I have a Platinum AMEX so I could always transfer Membership Rewards-points to BAEC too.
I'm not acquinted with the BA program, but as a rule, you can collect miles on all OW airlines. AFIAK BA is very bad statuswise if you mainly fly economy and quite OK if you mainly fly C. It seems that to get tatus you need at least 4 flights to be flown on BA metal.

Check out also the AA programme, might be advantegous.
Old May 8, 2009, 9:47 am
TTL

Programs: HH Diam, AY/AX/KQ/IHG/VISA Plat, SK/Bonvoy/Melia/Strawberry Gold, Radisson Prem, PP Prest
Check out the BA-point offers on OW-partner tickets from this page: http://www.britishairways.com/travel...d/public/en_fi

Not bad offers at all...
Old May 8, 2009, 12:54 pm
Ambassador: Finnair

Programs: AY Lumo, BA Silver, HHonors Gold
If you want to credit to AY, I'd do the following if I were in your shoes:

1. Call AY Plus
2. Ask the agent to get the issue solved and those Qantas fare classes added
3. If the agent (most likely different one than last time around) refuses to do it and confirm back to you once done, ask for a supervisor and go back to point 2.

It's clearly just a mistake and I'm 99,999% sure that AY will grant full Y points once issue is raised to the right person.
Old May 8, 2009, 4:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
Booking table is here: http://www.finnair.com/finnaircom/wp...VRS82X1NfMVNJ#

Yes. Nothing for QF in T. But then again, does QF have T class like BA does?

But what is amazing with Finnair Plus is that it awards points on some Cathay Pacific / Dragonair flights which don't even earn any miles on Asiamiles!
Old May 9, 2009, 3:17 am

There was a period of time, when QF PE was first introduced, in which the cabin did not accrue any miles on AAdvantage (regardless of W or T) as AA hadn't updated its mileage accrual policy for the new QF product. This is in spite of cheaper, discount economy buckets earning some form of mileage on AAdvantage. AA soon fixed this after being notified about it.

This is surely an oversight by AY+ and I'd suggest the quickest way to resolve this is raising the issue with them persistently.
Old May 9, 2009, 3:48 am
Original Poster

Thanks everybody ^

I'll give Finnair Plus another call early next week and will raise the issue again - with several agents/supervisors if needed. Will report here with the outcome.
Old May 11, 2009, 12:13 am
Original Poster

Thanks everybody ^

I'll give Finnair Plus another call early next week and will raise the issue again - with several agents/supervisors if needed. Will report here with the outcome.
I've talked with another agent, her response was the same as before. According to her Qantas has decided not to give points to Finnair clients when flying Qantas in Premium Economy. So now I am waiting for a callback from a Finnair Plus supervisor... Any ideas on what to say to the supervisor in addition to what's been mentioned earlier in this thread?

UPDATE:
I have just received an sms (which is cut mid-sentence) that Finnair will need a few days to inspect this matter. I told the agent that AA had had the same problem earlier (Thanks QF009) and I guess Finnair is starting to understand that this is not QF's fault. I will report when I get a reply.

Last edited by vulle; May 11, 2009 at 12:25 am Reason: Update
Old May 11, 2009, 2:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Guy Betsy
Booking table is here: http://www.finnair.com/finnaircom/wp...VRS82X1NfMVNJ#

Yes. Nothing for QF in T. But then again, does QF have T class like BA does?

But what is amazing with Finnair Plus is that it awards points on some Cathay Pacific / Dragonair flights which don't even earn any miles on Asiamiles!
Shhhhh, don't shout, enjoy!

Same with some others - some of the cheapest booking classes earn full points on AY - the respective on AY metal/code earns 50%.
Old May 11, 2009, 4:25 am
Original Poster

Well, have now talked with three different agents, none of the supervisors wanted to speak to me. Customer service - I don't think so

Anyway, according to Finnair Plus the agreement between AY and QF states that no AY points are given when flying W or T on QF. I am very disappointed, but this just means I need to find another program to credit these miles to. I guess I'll join BAEC...

UPDATE: Joined BAEC, have notified my travel agent to credit this trip to BAEC. I guess I'll start flying BA more than before.

Last edited by vulle; May 11, 2009 at 6:28 am Reason: BAEC
Old May 11, 2009, 5:05 am
TTL

Programs: HH Diam, AY/AX/KQ/IHG/VISA Plat, SK/Bonvoy/Melia/Strawberry Gold, Radisson Prem, PP Prest
Joining BAEC seems to be possible nowadays by just filling a form in the ba.com. It used to require a point eligible flight booked or flown.

OT: Personally I prefer to collect the miles (and BA points) from all the flights in classes Y/B/H and above using the BAEC card. Other kilometres (would not produce much of BA points) I collect using the AY plus card. After having reached 800 BA points to requalify for the BA gold card, I change my habit to collect most of my short haul flights to the AY card (with relatively good point accrual in business class and to be used mainly for the future leisurely upgrades for AY flights). BAEC is most likely the cheapest, fastest, and easiest way to the OW emerald perks.
Old May 11, 2009, 6:44 am

Well, have now talked with three different agents, none of the supervisors wanted to speak to me. Customer service - I don't think so

Anyway, according to Finnair Plus the agreement between AY and QF states that no AY points are given when flying W or T on QF. I am very disappointed, but this just means I need to find another program to credit these miles to. I guess I'll join BAEC...

UPDATE: Joined BAEC, have notified my travel agent to credit this trip to BAEC. I guess I'll start flying BA more than before.
I don't know how these things work exactly, but it does sound like there are more detailed bilateral agreements amongst the OW partners that have to be negotiated separately from the OW master agreement and for whatever reason, the AA-QF "link" hasn't been updated for PE. That's the only explanation I can think of, as it doesn't make sense that W and T don't earn miles whilst cheaper fares do.

It might be worth highlighting this anomaly to oneworld4u in this thread.

Nonetheless, I'm glad you've found a solution with BAEC. Enjoy your trip^
Old May 11, 2009, 10:18 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold, Marriott Plat, ICH Plat, HH Gold
Originally Posted by TTL
BAEC is most likely the cheapest, fastest, and easiest way to the OW emerald perks.
I'm not sure I have heard that before

True if you mainly fly in WT+/CW/F. Also considering the low 'EU' points threshold, the fact that the BA long-haul fares aren't too bad ex-HEL, and that you will get more points due to the short-haul connections needed for those. If you do fly BA CW long-haul, with AY you may struggle to get to Silver (Ruby), but with BA you can maintain Gold (Emerald) with just 2.5 BA long-hauls per year.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.