Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Finnair | Finnair Plus
Reload this Page >

HELP!!! -- Finnair flight to HEL cancelled??

Old Feb 14, 08, 6:16 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Gold

Was due to fly out on AY006 today to HEL and on to SVO. The inbound to JFK seems to have been cancelled. Finnair website is down. I called the US helpline but its closed. When I checked for automated arrival/departure info on the phone, it said Finnair is not scheduled to operate inbound or outbound flights today.

What do I do??? My friend is flying to SVO on the DL flight that arrives at 10am tomorrow morning. He doesn't speak a word of Russian, and my trip is only till Monday afternoon. I can't afford to wait another day to take this flight.

I'm flying in paid discount J, have an American Platinum number in my PNR and also have a BA Gold Card (not entered in the system). What is the best course of action here?

If they reroute me on BA (I really hope not), will I be able to get AA miles?
Old Feb 14, 08, 6:30 am

Programs: CX, OZ, MU (+AY, DL), Shangri-La, Hilton
Try this contact information (from an e-mail):

Finnair Customer Care Center
Mail address: HEL-SXD/08, 01053
Tel +358 (0)9 818 888, Fax +358 (0)800 121 200
Old Feb 14, 08, 6:32 am

Programs: CX, OZ, MU (+AY, DL), Shangri-La, Hilton
Or the rip-off "service line":

"When additional information is required, please contact us by phone +358 (0)600 140 140 (3,04 euros/answered call + local network
charge)."
Old Feb 14, 08, 7:00 am
Ambassador: Finnair

Programs: AY Plat, BA Silver, HHonors/Carlson Gold
Originally Posted by CheVive View Post
I'm flying in paid discount J, have an American Platinum number in my PNR and also have a BA Gold Card (not entered in the system). What is the best course of action here?
Having been in exactly the same situation as you're today my advice is to wait until AY calls you (I suppose they have your number in the booking, if not, then a more active approach could be useful). Most likely you'll be rerouted on AA metal but nothing is sure, ofcourse. Being OW Emerald in J (even if discounted) you're among the first to be accommondated so don't worry too much...

Have a nice flight later today

Just wanted to add that many, many people have "survived" Moscow w/o a word of Russian...

Last edited by NoWindowSeat; Feb 14, 08 at 7:08 am
Old Feb 14, 08, 7:08 am

Programs: BA Gold, UA 1P, CO Plat, SPG Plat, ICH Plat, HH Gold
Originally Posted by mosburger View Post

"When additional information is required, please contact us by phone +358 (0)600 140 140 (3,04 euros/answered call + local network
charge)."
Which you can't even call with e.g. Skype I wonder if you can even call this number from outside of Finland at all, e.g. Dutch 0900 numbers (which are similar) can't be connected from abroad.
Old Feb 14, 08, 7:11 am

Programs: AY Platinum Lumo,SPG Gold,HH Diamond,Sixt Platinum,Hertz PC,AMEX Platinum (IEC&FI)
Originally Posted by frankvb View Post
Which you can't even call with e.g. Skype I wonder if you can even call this number from outside of Finland at all, e.g. Dutch 0900 numbers (which are similar) can't be connected from abroad.
I guess you mean from non-Finnish numbers, because you can definitely call to that number from outside of Finland from a Finnish mobile phone.

The Skype restriction might be also coming from Skype itself.
Old Feb 14, 08, 7:21 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Gold
Thanks -- managed to get thru to the NY office as it opened at 8am. Spoke to a very nice, aplogetic, and helpful agent, Kristen, who said I was the first to call about it.

While they were very nice about it, I'm now flying Delta, which is exactly what I wanted to avoid doing when I bought the ticket

Finnair has managed to screw me on both sides of this RT. On the way over, they only gave me Y, not J credit for miles, in spite of my having a fully J ticket, and did so after months of repeated calling. Now, they're sending me to Moscow in one of the worst J-class services I've ever flown.

From now on it looks like IB and BA are the only ones I'm going to take JFK-MOW. Or maybe I should bite the bullet and start using *A.
Old Feb 14, 08, 7:35 am
WIZ

Programs: LH SEN, AY, AA, FB, HHONORS, PC
SAS is worse

Originally Posted by mosburger View Post

charge)."
In my opinion SAS is worse. They charge 1,70EUR per MINUTE plus local network charges for their incompetent Tallinn call center. Imagine having a ten minute phone call... I'd call that a rip off...
Old Feb 14, 08, 7:55 am

Programs: AY Platinum Lumo,SPG Gold,HH Diamond,Sixt Platinum,Hertz PC,AMEX Platinum (IEC&FI)
Originally Posted by WIZ View Post
In my opinion SAS is worse. They charge 1,70EUR per MINUTE plus local network charges for their incompetent Tallinn call center. Imagine having a ten minute phone call... I'd call that a rip off...
Stupidly did that this week ... they couldn't book flights, which are operated by Star Alliance and couldn't even see some of the flights they have codeshare flight number for those flights. And the price with incomplete (but symmetric) itinerary priced worse than what I finally got. Gave up and called American Express who didn't have any problems seeing all the required flights and book those with better fare than SAS was seeing.
Old Feb 14, 08, 8:35 am

Originally Posted by miikka View Post
I guess you mean from non-Finnish numbers, because you can definitely call to that number from outside of Finland from a Finnish mobile phone.

The Skype restriction might be also coming from Skype itself.
Yes, I didn't even think about a Finnish mobile phone. I can imagine the roaming charges though.... Still most people who do not live in Finland don't have one of those. I do have one and have used it to call the number once or twice before, but only as I couldn't figure out any other (cheaper) way to do it.

And indeed, the restriction is at least partly caused by Skype itself, as they have likely not implemented a billing system that is able to cope with anything else than regular landline or mobile call tarrifs.
Old Feb 14, 08, 8:36 am

Originally Posted by miikka View Post
Stupidly did that this week ... they couldn't book flights, which are operated by Star Alliance and couldn't even see some of the flights they have codeshare flight number for those flights. And the price with incomplete (but symmetric) itinerary priced worse than what I finally got. Gave up and called American Express who didn't have any problems seeing all the required flights and book those with better fare than SAS was seeing.
Sounds like my previous experience with BMI. It seems this stuff about *A seamless integration is just marketing hype
Old Feb 14, 08, 9:09 am

Yes, I didn't even think about a Finnish mobile phone. I can imagine the roaming charges though.... Still most people who do not live in Finland don't have one of those. I do have one and have used it to call the number once or twice before, but only as I couldn't figure out any other (cheaper) way to do it.
Roaming charges will be of course quite huge but I tend to call them only when necessary anyway.

Sounds like my previous experience with BMI. It seems this stuff about *A seamless integration is just marketing hype
Hehe. Well, this proofs my idea that travel agencies are not going to die. They are still important and actually coming more and more important as they do not have that kind of business environment to protect as the airlines. Airlines are part of the alliances but they are still competitors inside the alliance, so they are not very happy to promote the other airline's flights. Travel agency doesn't have this kind of connection and therefore you can get what you want. Of course finding a good and knowledgeable travel agency is another challenge.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: