Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Finnair | Finnair Plus
Reload this Page >

New and cancelled destinations, major schedule and operational changes

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New and cancelled destinations, major schedule and operational changes

Search this Thread

Old Mar 15, 2019, 8:03 am
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
Originally Posted by Superrman
This is like beating a dead horse in this forum,
Stone-dead. But it is still good fun
Superrman likes this.
Old Mar 15, 2019, 2:50 pm

Programs: AY+ Gold (OWS)
Originally Posted by intuition
Stone-dead. But it is still good fun
something we CAN all relate to

(I'll show myself out...)
Old Mar 15, 2019, 11:05 pm

Programs: Aeroflot Bonus, British Airways Executive Club
Originally Posted by Superrman
This is like beating a dead horse in this forum, but believing that one can service CAN (primarily) from HKG is like believing that one can service HEL from LED or something. Anyone who has been at HK/Mainland border crossing knows this.
Sorry, but the fact is HKG serves the whole Pearl River Delta well in the international market, a lot of international travelers from mainland China go to HKG, especially after the SkyPier has opened. On an international flight to Hong Kong, a lot of passengers are holding mainland China passport from my observation. By using the SkyPier, the Hong Kong immigration is completely bypassed. Even if they are not using SkyPier and need to pass immigration, they are using HKG to fly international as well. For example on a train between Kowloon and Guangzhou, I have met some visitors who come from Taiwan, taking the international flight to Hong Kong and go to Guangzhou overland.

​​CAN is strong in domestic market, but far worse than HKG in international market.

As a citizen in Hong Kong, I always consider SZX as an alternative to HKG, especially when flying to mainland destinations, and in circumstances where CAN has direct flight but not HKG and SZX, CAN as well, e.g. to CAI in the past (there is now a direct HKG-CAI flight now, but it has a stop in BKK)

Last year when I needed to go to Klaipeda (served by PLQ airport) in Lithuania my first instinct was to get to KGD as there is no viable connection from my place to PLQ, but good cheap Aeroflot flight to KGD.

An international border really doesn't matter much for a good airport nearby.
Old Mar 16, 2019, 7:19 am
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
OK, so this horse still twitches a bit, and I am right here with a hammer!

Originally Posted by miklcct
An international border really doesn't matter much for a good airport nearby.
Easily said, when you are holding a HKG passport.
But the main issue is not HKG immigrations, even if the lines are huge for foreigners. The issue is primarily that AY is an airline with a very specific strategy.- to serve underserved Chinese cities with direct flights, making a large number of PRC-EU routes quick and smooth. So why not in CAN?

Respectfully I ask, did you do what you suggest? Have you ever flown a longhaul into HKG, with the only purpose of transferring to CAN? With bags and all? Was it a smooth experience?
I have on a number of occasions and tried all the different transfer options and there is no way any of the options can be called smooth and quick.

I, and the three other people I book on this route regularly, have had it with this very complicated transfer and thus with Finnair. They even say "I'd rather forfeit my Finnair upgrade vouchers and fly in economy on another airline, as long as I can fly directly to CAN."

That is not about HKG per se, it is about collecting bags at HKG, move them to Airport express, move them to shuttle bus to Hung Hom, pay for them to be carried on the train, exit SAR, enter PRC, collect bags again, arrange for transport to final destination.

You can replace Hung Hom with High speed train, boat, or the HKG-SZX-CAN bus above, they all are similar or worse.

For example on a train between Kowloon and Guangzhou, I have met some visitors who come from Taiwan, taking the international flight to Hong Kong and go to Guangzhou overland.
Isn't the ROC is a special case?
Firstly, there is something like 20+ daily departures HKG-TPE and far far less flights TPE-CAN. That means some travellers are forced to do the HKG detour because of availability and schedules, not because they prefer taking the detour.

Secondly, a number of people need to go via HKG anyway either for business or because that allows them to switch passport mid-ways. PRC citizens obtain a second passport to be used for ROC entry only, you know.

​​CAN is strong in domestic market, but far worse than HKG in international market.
And that there is exactly iwhy Finnair should serve CAN at least daily, year round.
a) it is apparently underserved for international routes, so a new frequency meets less competition
b) it is strong in domestic market making it a much better hub for PRC than HKG is.
Old Mar 16, 2019, 8:50 am

Programs: AY+ Gold, SK EBG
Just want to add that while going through international border might be seen as okay when getting to airport/destination for some, for us being spoiled from being based in EU/Schengen, I suppose we have different standards.
intuition and Steve_Hun like this.
Old Mar 17, 2019, 11:40 pm

OK, so this horse still twitches a bit, and I am right here with a hammer!

Easily said, when you are holding a HKG passport.
But the main issue is not HKG immigrations, even if the lines are huge for foreigners. The issue is primarily that AY is an airline with a very specific strategy.- to serve underserved Chinese cities with direct flights, making a large number of PRC-EU routes quick and smooth. So why not in CAN?

Respectfully I ask, did you do what you suggest? Have you ever flown a longhaul into HKG, with the only purpose of transferring to CAN? With bags and all? Was it a smooth experience?
I have on a number of occasions and tried all the different transfer options and there is no way any of the options can be called smooth and quick.
I have flown into HKG once for the sole purpose of transiting to XMN last October, and consider AY and SU be the competitors on my trip again. That trip was HKG - PRG - XMN. On that trip:

Strength of AY:
  • Well-timed connecting KA flight from HKG to XMN
Strength of SU:
  • Premium economy on return
  • Daytime outgoing flight
  • 150% frequent flyer miles
They were roughly at the same price and I ended up taking SU, and went XMN from HKG overland. I took bus A43P, then B1, then metro line 4, then high-speed rail.

I, and the three other people I book on this route regularly, have had it with this very complicated transfer and thus with Finnair. They even say "I'd rather forfeit my Finnair upgrade vouchers and fly in economy on another airline, as long as I can fly directly to CAN."

That is not about HKG per se, it is about collecting bags at HKG, move them to Airport express, move them to shuttle bus to Hung Hom, pay for them to be carried on the train, exit SAR, enter PRC, collect bags again, arrange for transport to final destination.

You can replace Hung Hom with High speed train, boat, or the HKG-SZX-CAN bus above, they all are similar or worse.
As the high-speed rail opens Sep last year, the connection is now very easy - A direct motorway bus A22 now carries you from the airport to the entrance of high speed train station in half an hour, and within another hour you are already at the edge of Guangzhou. (However, the timing of KA HKG-CAN does not work well with AY HEL-HKG)

Isn't the ROC is a special case?
Firstly, there is something like 20+ daily departures HKG-TPE and far far less flights TPE-CAN. That means some travellers are forced to do the HKG detour because of availability and schedules, not because they prefer taking the detour.

Secondly, a number of people need to go via HKG anyway either for business or because that allows them to switch passport mid-ways. PRC citizens obtain a second passport to be used for ROC entry only, you know.

And that there is exactly iwhy Finnair should serve CAN at least daily, year round.
a) it is apparently underserved for international routes, so a new frequency meets less competition
b) it is strong in domestic market making it a much better hub for PRC than HKG is.
I agree also, however, this is different with SU. SU code-shares with CZ and fly twice daily CAN-SVO, with a few departures per week stopping at WUH, while only once daily HKG-SVO. The flight operated by SU is well-timed to connect to other parts of Europe, while the flight operated by CZ is timed to connect from other parts of mainland China.

AY is different because it is in oneworld so weak in mainland China - there is no connecting partner to support the mainland market, and people fly KA to Hong Kong to connect.

Last edited by miklcct; Mar 17, 2019 at 11:45 pm
Old Mar 18, 2019, 12:23 am

Programs: BA Gold, OZ Diamond, LH Silver
At the end of this month, AF is ending their 5/w flight CDG-CAN flight as well. So there is something about CAN that makes it a difficult destination for European carriers. Only AY (seasonal), SU and TK remain, all of which also fly to HKG. Interestingly, from Africa CAN has service by ET, KQ and MS while only ET and MS serve HKG (both 1-stop in BKK).

I would guess European demand is more concentrated around HKG as it is a superior entry point (compared to CAN) to HKG itself, Shenzhen, Macau and Zhuhai. Having just travelled to Zhuhai by flying to HKG I must say that the new HZMB bridge makes it super easy to travel from HKG airport also eastwards. And the hugely growing city of Shenzhen is also quite easily accessible from HKG.

All in all in my opinion CAN airport best serves traffic to Guangzhou metropolitan area while HKG airport best serves traffic to the rest of the Pearl River Delta and for some, even Guangzhou. So traffic is leaking to HKG from Guangzhou but not much the other way.
Old Mar 18, 2019, 9:46 am

Programs: AY+Plat, ALL Plat, Scandic L2
Originally Posted by haapalainen
At the end of this month, AF is ending their 5/w flight CDG-CAN flight as well. So there is something about CAN that makes it a difficult destination for European carriers.
That sounds like a ripple effect of CZ leaving SkyTeam while MU has become a major shareholder of AF-KL.

I assume CZ still operates the route, and it might be hard for AF to compete if they're no longer friends.
Old Mar 18, 2019, 12:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
My 2¢ - I often go to China on TWOV, so I need to enter and exit by air (I know there are a few exception to this) AND may not return to the same country as I arrived from. So HEL-CAN-HKG-HEL would be OK but HEL-HKG-CAN-HKG-HEL is no-no. So e.g. if the outbound is HEL-HKG-CAN, coming back I need to fly to e.g. BKK and from there home.
Old Mar 18, 2019, 1:26 pm
Moderator, Finnair

As the high-speed rail opens Sep last year, the connection is now very easy - A direct motorway bus A22 now carries you from the airport to the entrance of high speed train station in half an hour, and within another hour you are already at the edge of Guangzhou.
Like I said, I've done all the transfer options and none are good. I' will try to not repeat myself too much. https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/30788365-post34.html

While I did not know about A22 (and the A22 I know of does not go to West Kowlon station - I believe A10 does and takes 43 minutes) it doesn't change much.

From the rosy wording, I'm even wondering if you did this transfer at all?

a) the direct HKG-CAN is indeed only 47 minutes travel time, but there are only 2 such a day ( at 10.00 and at 15.00, ie not fitting AY arrivals at all. ) The majority of high-speed trains are "local" and stops multiple times, making the ride up to 1h 15 minutes.
b) you need to be at West kowloon station at least 1h before departure, to meet cut-off time and all the formalities
c) High speed train does not allow any checked luggage, making it a no-go in many situations

Getting to the edge of Guangzhou in 1,5 hour via this route is quite frankly impossible.

Originally Posted by Courmisch
That sounds like a ripple effect of CZ leaving SkyTeam while MU has become a major shareholder of AF-KL.

I assume CZ still operates the route, and it might be hard for AF to compete if they're no longer friends.
This makes sense to me. On my first int-to-int transfer in CAN I was asking my self "where did all francophone come from" and the realised that AF/KL was a major feeder to CZ.
Old Mar 18, 2019, 3:56 pm

Like I said, I've done all the transfer options and none are good. I' will try to not repeat myself too much. https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/30788365-post34.html

While I did not know about A22 (and the A22 I know of does not go to West Kowlon station - I believe A10 does and takes 43 minutes) it doesn't change much.

From the rosy wording, I'm even wondering if you did this transfer at all?

a) the direct HKG-CAN is indeed only 47 minutes travel time, but there are only 2 such a day ( at 10.00 and at 15.00, ie not fitting AY arrivals at all. ) The majority of high-speed trains are "local" and stops multiple times, making the ride up to 1h 15 minutes.
b) you need to be at West kowloon station at least 1h before departure, to meet cut-off time and all the formalities
c) High speed train does not allow any checked luggage, making it a no-go in many situations

Getting to the edge of Guangzhou in 1,5 hour via this route is quite frankly impossible.

This makes sense to me. On my first int-to-int transfer in CAN I was asking my self "where did all francophone come from" and the realised that AF/KL was a major feeder to CZ.
The direct HKG-CAN does not fit AY arrival indeed, but my usual practice is to buy train ticket on the app only on the bus to the train station, about 30 - 45 minutes before departure, and arrive the train station about 20 - 30 minutes before departure, leaving me just enough time to collect the ticket pass immigration and board the train.

Note that this is only convenient to Chinese citizens (including Hong Kong and Taiwan) since we are possible to use the automatic ticket collection machine. Otherwise if you buy ticket at counter you can only buy tickets 30 minutes later (45 advertised, but unofficially 30).

Bus A22 does indeed stop directly at the entrance of train station (called Austin Station) since October, just after the expressway and more convenient than the airport express because the bus company added a stop there.
Old Mar 19, 2019, 10:43 am
Original Poster

Trondheim and Tromsø

Finnair starts a route to Trondheim (5 times aweek op by Widerøe) and increases the frequency to Tromsø (up to thrice aweek also operates by Widerøe). Flybe used to fly to Trondheim using ATRs for a short while. I don’t know about the timetables or if the routes are seasonal.

I wonder why not to Stavanger for Norwegian customers. Bergen and the new destinations are obviously mainly directed to the Asian clientele.
DALtoAAL and Superrman like this.
Old Mar 19, 2019, 10:56 am

Programs: AY+ Gold, SK EBG
Originally Posted by nordic
Finnair starts a route to Trondheim (5 times aweek op by Widerøe) and increases the frequency to Tromsø (up to thrice aweek also operates by Widerøe). Flybe used to fly to Trondheim using ATRs for a short while. I don’t know about the timetables or if the routes are seasonal.

I wonder why not to Stavanger for Norwegian customers. Bergen and the new destinations are obviously mainly directed to the Asian clientele.
Very happy to see this ^

https://www.ntbinfo.no/pressemelding/finnair-apner-direkterute-fra-trondheim?publisherId=17421123&releaseId=17862071 Norwegian language article if anyone is interested.

TOS frequency increase and new TRD route is definitely for Asian pax, but also very nice for Norwegian pax interested in Asia, since SK still doesn't have a single flight to East Asia ex-Norway. If prices are not too restrictive, TRD pax might as well fly directly to HEL and use AY while SK still requires Norwegian pax to fly to CPH/ARN (with possible transfer in OSL first!) to get to Asia. Ex-SVG business traffic is mostly related to oil and maritime, so can't see a lot of demand for HEL route there, but still good potential for Asian pax with Preikestolen. However SVG is closer to already served destinations like BGO, OSL and CPH, which might be why AY focuses on TOS and TRD first.

EDIT: TRD-HEL:
Monday, wednesday, thursday, friday and sunday: 11:40 (lands 14:30)
HEL-TRD:
Same days: 15:30 (lands 16:20).

Route starts June 3rd, equipment is WF Dash-8 Q400.

TOS-HEL:
Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday, Sunday: 11:30 (lands 14:25)
HEL-TOS:
Same days: 15:40 (lands 16:35)

Additional frequencies start June 4th, equipment is WF Embraer E190-E2.
SPBanker and on22cz like this.

Last edited by Superrman; Mar 19, 2019 at 11:19 am
Old Mar 19, 2019, 9:39 pm

Programs: AY+Plat, ALL Plat, Scandic L2
Meh, I booked a mass tourism trip to TRD on Norwegian :facepalm:
Old Mar 22, 2019, 10:04 am

Programs: AY Platinum, TK Elite, BT VIP, AA, BA, SK, DL, NT, WB + hotels
Of all the airlines in the world, WB is starting flights to CAN. Or at least they say they are... WB, that's RwandAir. They'll be flying KGL-BOM-CAN, with 5th freedom rights. If they can make it work (and I'm not saying they can), then it's really surprising if AY can't.

https://www.routesonline.com/news/38...-in-june-2019/

Also, CZ is one step closer to OW now that you can earn and redeem AA miles on CZ flights.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.