Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Finnair | Finnair Plus
Reload this Page >

New and cancelled destinations, major schedule and operational changes

New and cancelled destinations, major schedule and operational changes

Old Feb 25, 2019, 10:59 am
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
Originally Posted by OH-LGG
20 years ago AY had photogenic fleet, not only boring A product.
Forgetting about ATRs and Embraers?

The old text-logo hasn't aged well though.
The F-shape airplane is as brilliant as ever (but looks better on port side - here it is flying backwards!)
Old Feb 25, 2019, 2:43 pm

Programs: AY+ Gold, SK EBG
Not sure if this has been mentioned earlier in the thread, but service to TSE (Astana) appears to be renewed for the period August 2nd-September 22nd. Flights from HEL Friday and Sunday, from TSE Saturday and Monday. Also one can book Value ticket to Japan and North America ex-TSE if one don't mind positioning half-way across Asia. But it's visa-free, perfect replacement for MSQ
r2d2 likes this.

Last edited by Superrman; Feb 25, 2019 at 2:48 pm
Old Feb 25, 2019, 3:11 pm

Originally Posted by Superrman
Also one can book Value ticket to Japan and North America ex-TSE if one don't mind positioning half-way across Asia. But it's visa-free, perfect replacement for MSQ
If you wish to book a trip to Japan on a Value ticket and don't wish to get a visa, then you could also position to several other airports such as JFK.

AY codeshares on B2 and if this continues, you may still position to MSQ.
Old Feb 25, 2019, 3:23 pm

Originally Posted by Some person
If you wish to book a trip to Japan on a Value ticket and don't wish to get a visa, then you could also position to several other airports such as JFK.

AY codeshares on B2 and if this continues, you may still position to MSQ.
Part about Value ticket was slight höpö-höpö referencing the MSQ discussion further up. I am considering a visit to Astana and perhaps more of Kazakhstan, but ticket prices are honestly not the best (can't imagine TSE to be very high demand destination for AY). Didn't know about the B2 codeshare however, thanks for info!
Old Feb 25, 2019, 3:37 pm

Programs: AY Platinum, TK Elite, BT VIP, AA, BA, SK, DL, NT, WB + hotels
I went to TSE the year AY introduced the route. It's a strange place and well worth a visit. Ticket prices were high, but there was good award availability. I ended up using Avios, and got a ticket saying Tselinograd. I wonder if BA sells tickets to Leningrad as well.
NoWindowSeat, SPBanker and Gobber like this.
Old Feb 25, 2019, 3:44 pm

Originally Posted by ffay005
I went to TSE the year AY introduced the route. It's a strange place and well worth a visit. Ticket prices were high, but there was good award availability. I ended up using Avios, and got a ticket saying Tselinograd. I wonder if BA sells tickets to Leningrad as well.
Award does indeed sound like a good option since it's the same price as "regular" Europe (and TLV, DXB).
Old Mar 6, 2019, 8:00 am

Programs: AY Platinum (oneworld Emerald), Bonvoy/Radisson/Hilton Gold
I'm looking at tickets for Sun, April 14th KTT-HEL. Options seem to be

AY637 9:15-10:35 (320)
AY572 9:15-10:40 (32B)
AY578 23:50-1:10+1 (321)
AY638 23:55-1:15+1 (32B)

I find that slightly weird... Seems like there's also AY574 13:40-15:00, but I guess it's fully booked since it doesn't show up in the search anymore.
Old Mar 6, 2019, 8:17 am

Programs: AY+ Plat (OWE)
Originally Posted by UpperDeck87K

I find that slightly weird... Seems like there's also AY574 13:40-15:00, but I guess it's fully booked since it doesn't show up in the search anymore.
Yes, sold out.
Old Mar 6, 2019, 10:51 am

Programs: AY, SK, TK
Originally Posted by UpperDeck87K

There is a major ski event that weekend so tickets can be in short supply
Old Mar 13, 2019, 7:59 pm

Programs: Aeroflot Bonus, British Airways Executive Club
Finnair to go double daily to Hong Kong from April

New source:
https://www.businesstraveller.com/bu...ng-from-april/

Finnair is giving its non-stop flights between Helsinki and Hong Kong a boost this winter season with added frequency that will see the service operate twice per day from next April onwards.

The current 10-times-weekly service will be gradually boosted throughout the winter season, with frequency going to 11 weekly flights from November 3, then 12 weekly from December 10, before boosting to twice a day from April 1, 2019.

“The new frequencies for our Hong Kong service are testament to the popularity of our product in the Hong Kong market and our confidence in the Greater China area and Asia,” said Stan Kwong, regional head at Finnair.

“As well as increasing our market share, we are also seeing travel between Asia and Europe steadily growing in recent years and we expect that trend to continue in the future.”

As with its current 10 weekly flights to and from Hong Kong, the added flights will be operated by one of the airline’s newer aircraft, the Airbus A350-900.

Finnair has two configurations for this aircraft, one with 32 business class seats and another with 46. The latter is currently deployed on the route.
That's great news for me!!!!! Before AY added the daytime flight, I could only take SU on my trips to Europe if I want to get a good timing (depart HKG morning, arrive evening). AY102 is now my alternative to SU213 for me to go to Europe, and in case SU's economy become more expensive than premium economy I can take AY's economy instead, and by returning on AY99 I can have one more afternoon for my Europe trip. (by returning on SU212 I basically need to arrive the airport at noon to take the connecting flight)

However, a bad thing about AY is that it doesn't offer lower booking classes for short weekend trips (less than 4 days), unlike SU where a Sunday qualifies for a low-fare between HKG and Europe, so I have to stay with SU for short weekend trips, arriving on Friday and returning on Monday.
Old Mar 14, 2019, 9:14 am
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
... and bad news for some perspective. Because it means they are still holding back on HEL-CAN route. It seems they will keep that route as a seasonal for ever - I guess it is "a testament to the unpopularity of the product and Finnair's doubt in the Guangdong area and Chinese mainland market"

I love the fact that they make both HKG flights daily. Year-round and daily is the key for a route IMHO. Keeping CAN as a seasonal 4 times a week speaks volume.
Old Mar 14, 2019, 9:48 am

Programs: AY LUMO
HKG twice daily year around was released in August 2018 so it's little bit old news today.
Old Mar 15, 2019, 2:42 am

Programs: Drawer of Cards
Originally Posted by intuition
... and bad news for some perspective. Because it means they are still holding back on HEL-CAN route. It seems they will keep that route as a seasonal for ever - I guess it is "a testament to the unpopularity of the product and Finnair's doubt in the Guangdong area and Chinese mainland market"

I love the fact that they make both HKG flights daily. Year-round and daily is the key for a route IMHO. Keeping CAN as a seasonal 4 times a week speaks volume.

I would hope CAN is not a seasonal route. Flying to HKG just to get to CAN it's an over kill or i change my schedule according to the flights which is not always possible. Direct flight would be much appreciated.
Old Mar 15, 2019, 5:38 am
Moderator, Finnair

CAN is 1,3,5,6 Apr22-Oct 25
Seasonal and not daily, just like it ever was.
Old Mar 15, 2019, 6:26 am

This is like beating a dead horse in this forum, but believing that one can service CAN (primarily) from HKG is like believing that one can service HEL from LED or something. Anyone who has been at HK/Mainland border crossing knows this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.