Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Finnair | Finnair Plus
Reload this Page >

New and cancelled destinations, major schedule and operational changes

New and cancelled destinations, major schedule and operational changes

Old Jul 1, 2008, 2:06 pm
Original Poster

Gdansk & Ljubljana

There does not seem to be any flights to Ljubljana next winter. However, last winter the flights to Gdansk were cancelled but next winter they seem to operate on a year around basis.

Let's see what happens to the newish overnight European flights to many destinations (AMS, OSL, MAN, MUC, WAW etc) after the rescheduled Delhi flights. There is no need for connection flights to Asia from Europe in the early morning. Can business connections to just Helsinki and maybe to MOW, LED and TLL keep these flights going.
Old Jul 7, 2008, 1:51 pm
Original Poster

Buchurest & Warsaw

There will be daily non-stop flights to OTP during the winter period. However, the night stopover to WAW will not be started.

Source: www.finnair.fi
Old Sep 3, 2008, 3:18 pm
Original Poster

Unhappy Reduced frequencies

Manchester
The newly started night stopover will be cancelled at least during the winter period

Munich
The night stopover has disappeared. Not sure if it was ever started.

Hamburg
The midday flight will be cancelled at least during the winter period

Source: www.finnair.com

I guess this is connected to the revised longhaul schedules and the turbulent times of air travel.
Old Sep 4, 2008, 1:54 am

Programs: AY Plat, SK Silver, FB Gold
I don't think it has been mentionned that the HEL-CAN (Guangzhou) flights will be dropped from AY routes.
Old Sep 4, 2008, 2:20 am
Ambassador: Finnair

Programs: AY Lumo, BA Silver, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by JuPe
I don't think it has been mentionned that the HEL-CAN (Guangzhou) flights will be dropped from AY routes.
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=840317
Old Sep 17, 2008, 2:33 am
Original Poster

Pure speculation: Japan

A Finnish site (www.flightforum.fi) showed a link to a news agency http://www.redorbit.com/news/busines...boost_flights/, which said that Japan and Finland have agreed on an increased number of flights between the two countries. The most important feature is that Finnair will be able to fly daily to Narita in 2010 when the extension of the runway will be completed. I think this will happen. They were the first airline to operate non-stop flights from Western Europe to Tokyo in 1983 (?) so it took only 27 years to increase the flights on a daily basis. Well, Finnair has not yet announced that they will increase the number of flights, but I think it will happen ntw these two Oneworld hubs.

Also flights to Osaka could be operated 10 times a week and flights to Nagoya could be operated on a daily basis. They just cut the flights to NGO from 4 to 3 times a week, so it is not probable that it would happen anytime soon. I doubt even Osaka although Finnair has has said that they would like to operate to some of their Asian destinations twice a day.
Old Sep 17, 2008, 7:48 am

Programs: CX, OZ, MU (+AY, DL), Shangri-La, Hilton
AY has many customers who prefer to fly from Haneda and connect at Kansai. So unless Narita gets some sort of revolutionary new rapid transit connection from downtown Tokyo, KIX should be quite safe. NGO can do on it's own as a mini-hub to domestic Japanese destinations and for the smart flyer also to regional Chinese and Korean cities.
Old Sep 19, 2008, 4:24 am
Ambassador: Finnair

Programs: AY Lumo, BA Silver, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by mosburger
AY has many customers who prefer to fly from Haneda and connect at Kansai. So unless Narita gets some sort of revolutionary new rapid transit connection from downtown Tokyo, KIX should be quite safe.
Fully agree with this. Flying to NRT and going to Tokyo is a bit like flying to Helsinki and to physically land in Jyväskylä, in terms of ground transportation
Old Sep 26, 2008, 4:57 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by nordic
AThe most important feature is that Finnair will be able to fly daily to Narita in 2010 when the extension of the runway will be completed.

Now, there is even an official press release on www.finnairgroup.com
Old Sep 28, 2008, 11:42 am
Original Poster

Brussels
Next January AY will start a new flight to Brussels. It will leave later than the last SN flight out of Helsinki and it will be the first flight from Brussels to Helsinki (currently the first flight is operated by SN). The codeshares with SN are still shown but I wonder if this is some kind of an indication of SN switching partners in Finland (Blue1/SAS) after the Lufthansa deal. Any way, its a good move on this important route.

Seoul
There will be an additional sixth flight a week to Seoul.

Nagoya
The frequency will return to four next summer.
Old Oct 8, 2008, 3:09 pm
Original Poster

Bergen

According to www.flightforum.fi AY will return to Bergen next summer after a few years' pause. I thought that Norwegian was supposed to feed passangers from Scandinavia to Asia.
Old Oct 11, 2008, 8:18 am

Programs: AY Gold, LH SEN, SK Silver, HH Gold, PP
Originally Posted by nordic
According to www.flightforum.fi AY will return to Bergen next summer after a few years' pause.
This is good news indeed. However, I wonder why in this forum my proposal of adding Strasbourg to the AY network has always been turned down "because there is not enough industry in the region"... Obviously there must be more industry in Bergen than in Strasbourg and in its neighbouring Freiburg i.B., Metz, Colmar and Basel together!
Old Oct 12, 2008, 1:03 am

Programs: CX, OZ, MU (+AY, DL), Shangri-La, Hilton
Originally Posted by FlyingPrince22
This is good news indeed. However, I wonder why in this forum my proposal of adding Strasbourg to the AY network has always been turned down "because there is not enough industry in the region"... Obviously there must be more industry in Bergen than in Strasbourg and in its neighbouring Freiburg i.B., Metz, Colmar and Basel together!
Yes, and all of those places nicely covered by highspeed rail connections from Stuttgart. Strasbourg even gets the TGV from there.
Old Oct 12, 2008, 6:16 am

Programs: AY Gold, LH SEN, SK Silver, HH Gold, PP
Originally Posted by mosburger
Yes, and all of those places nicely covered by highspeed rail connections from Stuttgart. Strasbourg even gets the TGV from there.
True, but if you are travelling to Asia, then a fast connection via HEL is certainly far more attractive than a combination with trains, a domestic flight and a connecting flight let's say via FRA. Not to mention all the mess at railway stations and problems with currying the luggage.

Perhaps it may turn out that I'm wrong, but I mean that AY should at least try Strasbourg. It would certainly be an interesting destination also for Scandinavian PAX.
Old Oct 12, 2008, 6:42 am
TTL

Programs: HH Diam, AY/AX/KQ/IHG/VISA Plat, SK/Bonvoy/Melia/Strawberry Gold, Radisson Prem, PP Prest
OT: High speed trains are a clever and convenient alternative to very many short flights within Central and Southern Europe. Such as Paris - Brussels, Paris - Lyon, London - Paris, Barcelona - Madrid, etc. And between many German destinations as well.

What makes that worse an alternative to a flight? Train stations are located centrally, no harassing safety measures, plenty of work space in the train, no lost luggage, and actually saving in time and cost. Modern suitcases can -besides - be pulled easily instead of carrying...

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.