Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Finnair | Finnair Plus
Reload this Page >

New and cancelled destinations, major schedule and operational changes

New and cancelled destinations, major schedule and operational changes

Old Nov 28, 2007, 1:03 pm

Programs: AY Lumo, FB Gold
Originally Posted by nordic
How are the Air Berlin flights doing between hel-TXL/DUS?
I can report back on this, I'm taking both of these flights next week .

I was on the inaugural AB HEL-DUS and on HEL-TXL-HEL on the first week of operations and both flights had very healthy loads back in 2006.
Old Nov 28, 2007, 1:44 pm

Programs: AY, SK, AF/KL + randomly others
I took HEL-TXL//DUS-HEL with AB last month. HEL-TXL was maybe two thirds full, DUS-HEL fully packed. I must say I did not expect anything, and was quite pleasantly surprised; only the LTU plane from DUS seemed a bit worn out, but it might have just been the colour scheme that I didnät like.

However, if the price difference were only small, I'd definitely prefer AY, even with the new Recaro seats (which I don't find all that bad in fact). However, Finnair to/from TXL seemed to be almost zeroed out for all suitable dates.
Old Nov 29, 2007, 2:36 am
Ambassador: Finnair

Programs: AY Lumo, BA Silver, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by mosburger
Grrr, what is it lately with the marketing/planning departments? DUS is a very, very important station for AY and should not be neglected like it is now (poor lounge, Embraers on over 2 hour flights, cold meals in Y etc.)
Fully agreed. I really cannot understand why AY tries to save so much with lounges, there's a very nice and large BA lounge @DUS, but AY uses the el cheapo option Hugo whatever, as they do at soo many other locations as well. Luckily there's OW and this is only affecting those premium pax who do not fly OW regularly. Though, inside Schengen this is often an issue as BA lounges are at different terminals/areas etc.

I am writing this from BA F lounge at LHR T1 and even here, at BA's home base, AY doesn't cooperate with their alliance partner when it comes to lounges, simply unbelievable to me...
Old Nov 29, 2007, 3:38 am

Programs: CX, OZ, MU (+AY, DL), Shangri-La, Hilton
Fully agreed. I really cannot understand why AY tries to save so much with lounges, there's a very nice and large BA lounge @DUS, but AY uses the el cheapo option Hugo whatever, as they do at soo many other locations as well.
My thoughts exactly. A simple agreement with BA over joint use of the Terraces lounges would be a big step forward. The Hugo Junkers lounge at DUS is not the worst one could encounter but "el cheapo" hits the right chords. Not what the aviation pioneer would have enjoyed himself, for sure.

Luckily there's OW and this is only affecting those premium pax who do not fly OW regularly. Though, inside Schengen this is often an issue as BA lounges are at different terminals/areas etc.
Yep, the Schengen/Non-Schengen divide is a problem with BA lounges.

I am writing this from BA F lounge at LHR T1 and even here, at BA's home base, AY doesn't cooperate with their alliance partner when it comes to lounges, simply unbelievable to me..
Well, if things go like expected, The Wing and Pier will be my new "home lounges" soon. ^ Will then only credit to AY when in need to upgrade someone in the family or flying in the cheaper booking classes.

Last edited by mosburger; Nov 29, 2007 at 3:53 am
Old Dec 2, 2007, 2:14 am

Programs: AA EXP (2MM), SAS EBG
The new SU flights show also AY code^ now. The Rossya flights show AY code only until April.
Isn't it actually a requirement from Russian authorities that all flights are codeshared in this situation?

SK and SU codeshares on all flights between ARN-SVO and CPH-SVO which started when SK wanted to increase the frequency. Incidentally SU increased their frequency as well...
Old Dec 2, 2007, 2:27 am

Programs: AA EXP (2MM), SAS EBG
SU is also getting a second HEL-SVO flight some time next year

The timetable will be

HEL-SVO 11.10 - 13.50
SVO-HEL 09.20 - 10.20

My speculation is that AY will codeshare also on this SU flight.
I really hope that it will happen. Otherwise the New York - Helsinki -Moscow route will be ruined by a transit time of over 8 hours instead of the current 35 minutes. Finnair's morning flight will leave earlier than before with no connectivity from JFK. Ofcourse it is possible that the flight times for the JFK flights will also be changed, but the AY timetables don't show such a change.
This seems a bit strange. Starting next summer the Russian passengers will actually get a worse connection than today.

Code:
Today:
SVO-HEL-JFK: 12:55-13:40 // 14:20-15:55
JFK-HEL-SVO: 17:45-08:50 // 09:25-12:05

Summer: 
SVO-HEL-JFK: 11:45-12:30 // 14:20-15:55
JFK-HEL-SVO: 17:45-08:50 // 11:10-13:50
Added up, the travel time will increase with close to 3 hours, one segment will be operated by SU. Is this really a profitable move made by AY? On the press relase they claim that 25% of the passengers are connecting to USA.

With AA opening nonstop DMO-ORD, AY might lose some passengers that want to avoid SU and continue to earn AA/AY-miles.

By the way: have AY had a lot of misconnects on the SVO-flight to and from JFK?

Also: May this mean that AY will look into to more routes into US as the connections to SVO are better?

Last edited by GetAA81Back2ARN; Jan 22, 2008 at 12:59 pm Reason: Changed to DMO-ORD as per Smirnoffs answer
Old Dec 2, 2007, 11:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by GetAA81Back2ARN
This seems a bit strange. Starting next summer the Russian passengers will actually get a worse connection than today.

Added up, the travel time will increase with close to 3 hours, one segment will be operated by SU. Is this really a profitable move made by AY? On the press relase they claim that 25% of the passengers are connecting to USA.

With AA opening nonstop DMO-JFK, AY might lose some passengers that want to avoid SU and continue to earn AA/AY-miles.

By the way: have AY had a lot of misconnects on the SVO-flight to and from JFK?
I think the new timetable makes sense. I believe the JFK-HEL inbound frequently delayed the HEL-SVO flight. If the JFK-HEL is more than 30 minutes late, then the SVO flight had to go without it, resulting in re-routings, eg on BT HEL-RIX-SVO.

Besides, the SVO-HEL-JFK flight is sold on price. I don't think they'll lose many (if any) customers because of the extra hours wait. It'll still be one of the fastest (if not THE fastest) one-stop connection from SVO to JFK.

As for the AA flight, that will be DME-ORD, not JFK.
http://www.domodedovo.ru/en/main/new...s_rel/?ID=1955
https://www.aa.com/aa/pubcontent/en_...Routes.jsp#nir
Old Jan 22, 2008, 10:32 am
Original Poster

Kiev

Starting next April AY will add a third weekly flight to Kiev. Together with the partner Ukraine International there will be six weekly flights with good connections to the afternoon Asia wawe.

Source: www.finnair.com
Old Feb 6, 2008, 12:57 am
Original Poster

Paris

starting the 5th of April, the late evening flight to Paris and the early morning flight from Paris will be operated also on Saturday evenings and Sunday mornings. On their web page (in Finnish) there is really a lot of marketing hype:There will now be 35 flights to Paris. The number of flights to Paris on Saturdays will increase by 25 %. Well, this is true (from four flights to five) but it sounds as an exaggeration.
Old Feb 20, 2008, 10:08 am

Yekaterinburg

According to YLE news, Finnish and Russian authorities have today agreed upon an adjustment to the bilateral air transport agreement, which will allow Finnair to start flights to the city of Yekaterinburg in Ural region coming Autumn.

Finnair has been planning this route for quite some time already (I think they intended to open it already in 2006). Thanks to the new air transport agreement, also frequencies to Moscow and St Petersburg will increase.
Old Feb 21, 2008, 7:37 am

Originally Posted by Pteropous
According to YLE news, Finnish and Russian authorities have today agreed upon an adjustment to the bilateral air transport agreement, which will allow Finnair to start flights to the city of Yekaterinburg in Ural region coming Autumn.

Finnair has been planning this route for quite some time already (I think they intended to open it already in 2006). Thanks to the new air transport agreement, also frequencies to Moscow and St Petersburg will increase.
Yekaterinburg is a step in the right direction. Next maybe Nizhny Novgorod?

Also wondering how those Toyota executives and London bankers are enjoying the new LCC seats and Embraers on their Russia flights?
Old Feb 22, 2008, 4:31 am

Yekaterinburg 3x week, SVO & LED 4x daily, HKG daily, BOM 6x week

More details on Russian and Far-East frequency increases:

Quotes from Finnair Group Press Releases:
Finnair plans flights to Yekaterinburg - More flights to Moscow and St. Petersburg

Finnair is planning to begin scheduled flights next autumn from Helsinki to Yekaterinburg, located in the Urals. In air transport agreement negotiations between Russia and Finland it was also agreed that the number of Finnair and Aeroflot joint flights to and from Moscow will rise in April to four per day, and that the number of St. Petersburg flights operated by Finnair in cooperation with the airline Rossiya will rise to 22 per week.

Finnair plans to fly to Yekaterinburg three times per week. The city is the main centre of the Urals Federal District with good connections to all parts of the vast region of Siberia.

In 2009 the companies intend to fly between Helsinki and St. Petersburg four times per day, i.e. 28 times per week, similar to the arrangement between Helsinki and Moscow.

Mumbai & Hongkong (this one available in Finnish only at the moment)

- An additional weekly BOM flight (HEL-BOM Friday, BOM-HEL Saturday) starting 1st June 2008

- HEL-HKG-HEL goes daily starting 26 April. (Though this is old news, I think)
Old Mar 3, 2008, 12:23 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, AY Gold, BA Gold, TK Gold, ITA Executive Elite+, IHG Diamond AMB
Chennai, Bangalore, Dallas, Houston

According to the Times Of India Finnair to expand to Chennai, Bangalore, Dallas and Houston.

Big plans - where to get the all the needed A/Cs?

Last edited by Q400; Mar 3, 2008 at 12:29 pm
Old Mar 3, 2008, 10:36 pm

Originally Posted by Q400
According to the Times Of India Finnair to expand to Chennai, Bangalore, Dallas and Houston.

Big plans - where to get the all the needed A/Cs?
Dallas and Houston might be more interesting for pax from/to Moscow and St.Pete (after Gazprom moves there) I doubt that AY can compete with BA, LH, VS and Indian carriers on the India - US route with anything but price.

Why start new destinations when existing ones do not have enough capacity? Seoul needs to become daily ASAP, Beijing and Shanghai to get a second daily flight to separate biz and leisure pax, Tokyo to get any slots possible...
Old Jun 5, 2008, 7:20 am
Original Poster

Kiev

Starting next April AY will add a third weekly flight to Kiev. Together with the partner Ukraine International there will be six weekly flights with good connections to the afternoon Asia wawe.

Source: www.finnair.com
Starting the 22nd of June there will be one additional codeshare flight. Thus there will be daily flights (3 times a week by AYand 4 timnes a week by Ukraine International).

In order to make this thread current I just add the information that has been discussed on other threads. Finnair has started codeshare flights with Icelandair (FI) to Reykjavik. BTW I like that Finnair has sticked to its traditional AY code (Aero O/Y) and did not choose to use FA (Finnair's subsidiary Finnaviation used that code). Icelandair's FI is also sometimes mistaken to be that of Finnair's.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.