Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Finnair | Finnair Plus
Reload this Page >

New and cancelled destinations, major schedule and operational changes

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New and cancelled destinations, major schedule and operational changes

Search this Thread

Old Jul 18, 2022, 1:53 pm

Programs: AY, SK, TK
Originally Posted by EuroFlash
No more seats LHR-HEL for purchase until mid September
what??????
Old Jul 18, 2022, 2:04 pm

Programs: AY+ Platinum / FlyingBlue Gold
Originally Posted by FFlash
what??????
Well it looks like Finnair sort of honored the request of LHR airport
Old Jul 18, 2022, 2:09 pm

Programs: AY LUMO
Originally Posted by OH-LGG
Right now 3 350's for 4Y and 3 32B's for BA.
Correction: 4 32B's of course for BA
Old Jul 18, 2022, 10:47 pm
Original Poster

I’m sure a reduced number of LHR-HEL seats will open up. The same happened with AMS. First there was no availability but now there are quite cheap seats yo book

Last edited by nordic; Jul 19, 2022 at 1:24 pm
Old Jul 19, 2022, 1:04 pm

Programs: HappinesSMiles Silver
Originally Posted by EuroFlash
No more seats LHR-HEL for purchase until mid September
Also I've heard that in some cases Finnair cannot offer reroute for currently booked passengers on disrupted flights due to no seats available.
Old Jul 21, 2022, 8:44 am

Programs: AY+Plat, ALL Plat, Scandic L2
Originally Posted by avermat
Also I've heard that in some cases Finnair cannot offer reroute for currently booked passengers on disrupted flights due to no seats available.
This affects all airlines at Heathrow (and indirectly at other London airports), so I would have been surprised if it did not turn out that unfortunate way.

I suppose that they prioritise passengers who have already started their trip.
Old Jul 21, 2022, 8:47 am

Programs: AY+Plat, ALL Plat, Scandic L2
Originally Posted by nordic
I’m sure a reduced number of LHR-HEL seats will open up. The same happened with AMS. First there was no availability but now there are quite cheap seats yo book
The cancellation are officially only for 5 days, so it's very dubious that they would be any seat opening up in that short time.

Though if you meant beyond that and until September 11th, then yes. Even Finnair makes it sound like they will reopen bookings at a later point: "new London-Helsinki flights until 11 September 2022 cannot be booked currently".
Old Jul 21, 2022, 9:16 am
Original Poster

Yes, I agree. I meant before September. It took a while for AMS as well.
Old Aug 1, 2022, 1:24 am
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
HEL-CAN to reopen sept 6.

One weekly, tuesdays to CAN, return Thursdays.

As of now, not possible to buy with transfers though, so strictly a Finnish route. As they claim it is published in their sales channels, I guess it will be available at some point in the future.

Finnair will operate a weekly service between its Helsinki hub (HEL) and Guangzhou (CAN) in China, starting 6 September. The flight will be operated with an Airbus A350 aircraft, with departures from Helsinki on Tuesdays and departures from Guangzhou on Thursdays. Flights are available through Finnair's direct sales channels and travel agents as of today.

The Guangzhou flight offers connectivity to a range of Finnair’s European destinations with transfer testing, as required by the Chinese authorities, available at Helsinki Airport for the flight to Guangzhou. Further instructions available at finnair.com.

-- Added
Currently not at all published, not even as a strict HEL-CAN.
They do offer a "decent" econ-fare with Juneyao...

Last edited by intuition; Aug 1, 2022 at 1:38 am
Old Aug 10, 2022, 8:44 am
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black

It seems HEL-CAN will end in oct, so basically they decided to make it less than a 2 month thing. (6 sept - 25 oct).
In the original press-release there was no end-date, so this will be the third time Finnair withdraws from HEL-CAN-route. I wonder what happened.

Their booking engine still says "pending government approvals", but the are now promoting it in other channels so I assume approval has been granted.

I get that this route (as any CN route) is maily aimed at FIN-based expats needing to come home, but with the last flight back to HEL making it impossible to take a longer trip it doubt this route appeals to anyone. I mean, quarantine will eat into the effective time of the trip. Say there is a 3 week quaratine, then 4 weeks is just 1 week effective. If you want/need to stay 4 weeks effective, then basically you need to leave on the first possible flight and return on the last scheduled one. I think very few will pay the 10 225 € fare with these limitations.
Old Aug 10, 2022, 8:57 am

Programs: AY Plat (OWE), SK EBG (*A Gold), KQ Plat (STE+), Accor Plat
I guess the summer schedules just end on that date (in accordance with IATA specified deadlines) and it has not been loaded (yet?) to the winter schedule.
Old Aug 10, 2022, 9:14 am
Moderator, Finnair

Aha, yeah could be.

Still an issue, people can't book an open-ended ticket, they need to book the return.
Old Aug 10, 2022, 12:16 pm

Programs: AY LUMO
Or then it is only 8 flights and CAN closed again.
Old Aug 10, 2022, 12:59 pm
Moderator, Finnair

Do we know if cargo was behind this return to CAN? Like if they opened the route based on some short term cargo contract in anticipation to sign more deals as soon as scheduled flights were up & running, but then pulled the breaks on it all?
Old Aug 10, 2022, 1:00 pm

Programs: QF WP LTG, HHonors Diamond, NZ Gold
Originally Posted by OH-LGG
Or then it is only 8 flights and CAN closed again.
That would be an incredible waste of money with respect to managing the ramp-up for such a short operational window.

Regards,

BD

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.