Wiki Posts
Search

Finnair vs. British Airways

Search this Thread

Old Apr 27, 1999, 12:34 pm
Original Member
Original Poster

Finnair vs. British Airways

I have to select between BA and Finnair on a transatlantic Canadian Plus miles redemption flight in economy class. I like BA and use them quite frequently, but never had experience with Finnair. Should I try the Finns or stick to the Brits?
Old Jul 21, 1999, 12:01 pm
Original Member

I have taken a few Finnair flights and have enjoyed the trip. The attendents are very courteous and helpful. I have not had experience with BA.
Old Jul 21, 1999, 4:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
I flew Finnair JFK-HEL in business class a few years ago and it was just excellent. I remember we had reindeer for dinner. A lot of red-nose-in-the-sauce jokes ensued.

It's perhaps worth noting that Finnair flies only a handful of intercontinental/long-haul services, to North America and Tokyo, so each flight is more special. BA (which I like very much, don't misunderstand) does hundreds daily. I got the impression that the Finnair JFK service was the pride of the airline and they were trying extra-specially hard to impress.
Old Jul 22, 1999, 2:07 pm

Service in Coach is quite good and pretty comparable in Finnair and BA. Perhaps, the major difference would be in the aircraft - Finnair flies MD-11, and BA usually sticks to 747.
Old Jul 25, 2019, 5:32 pm
Suspended

Finnair
Old Jul 25, 2019, 6:48 pm

Programs: AY Silver, BA Silver, FI Saga hopeful
Wow! 20 year old thread. Talk about digging up the dead.
-
DJ

Last edited by docjones; Jul 25, 2019 at 6:55 pm
Old Jul 26, 2019, 1:50 pm

Programs: TK *G, BA Gold
MD-11 .. a real blast from the past!!
Old Jul 26, 2019, 2:06 pm

Programs: AY LUMO
Originally Posted by riku2
MD-11 .. a real blast from the past!!
Oh, those were the days.
Old Jul 30, 2019, 12:11 am

Programs: Aeroflot Bonus, British Airways Executive Club
Finnair service is really crap now in 2019, even worse than the then-deadly Soviet airline Aeroflot.
Old Jul 30, 2019, 1:10 am

Programs: TK *G, BA Gold
The european flights at least are better than BA. Better leg room, free tea/coffee/juice for all passengers in economy, emerald card holders given a free drink from the menu. On BA nobody in economy gets anything for free, not even water. And BA have packed in so many seats on their latest planes that one of the jump seats is actually mounted on the toilet door. Meanwhile the long haul BA planes are being reconfigured with 777 having 10 across, which is massively worse than the economy A350.
Jed likes this.
Old Jul 30, 2019, 2:48 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AY+ Platinum, SK Gold, BAEC Silver, airbaltic VIP, Radisson VIP
Originally Posted by miklcct
Finnair service is really crap now in 2019, even worse than the then-deadly Soviet airline Aeroflot.
I couldn't disagree more...
Old Jul 30, 2019, 4:28 am

Programs: Finnair (AY) Platinum, Air France Silver, Tallink Club One Silver :)
Originally Posted by miklcct
I'm not sure what airline you are comparing AY with, also possible that my expectations regarding service on an airplane are too low, but in my opinion AY service is really far from crap. They are nowhere close to perfect, but especially when you hold a higher tier frequent flyer card, I believe they treat you nicely in economy, and in most cases very well in business (in the pointy end it, the shiny card makes only marginal difference though).
Old Jul 30, 2019, 5:27 am
Suspended

necro, necro
Old Jul 30, 2019, 8:02 am

Programs: AA EXP
wow, did not even realize that this website is that old. Also surprised how this ended up on the Finnair forum, did messages get moved from other places when the dedicated Finnair part was created some years ago?
Old Jul 30, 2019, 8:29 am

Programs: Costco Executive, RaceTrac Sultan of Soda, Chick-fil-A Red
Originally Posted by SAN_Finn
wow, did not even realize that this website is that old. Also surprised how this ended up on the Finnair forum, did messages get moved from other places when the dedicated Finnair part was created some years ago?
IIRC the AY forum was created in ca 2007 and most if not all threads about AY were moved here.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.