Strike February 1 and 2

Old Jan 28, 2024, 4:06 am

Programs: BA Gold, VS Gold, IHG Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hertz Presidents Circle.
Both my flights are A350 - LHR/HEL/JFK on the 1st with 1hr 45 connection, really can't see it! Sure you could swap the LHR/HEL to an A320 but I believe in normal opps that's still a cat7 aircraft, plus obviously a lot lower capacity than an A350.
​​​​​​
I just tried chat with Cust services, all I was hoping is they'd have a date they'd publish cancellations, the response was nonsense 'We are unable to cancel flights as we do not know if delay or cancellations will be required' .........like they think they will operate a full schedule, madness.
Old Jan 28, 2024, 4:50 am

Originally Posted by a_k
Sure, but what about the restrictions because of limited ground staff and rescue services? Could A350s land?
As I already earlier wrote, temporary downgrading of firefighting category does not prevent operations with widebodies, per se. All depends what each operators operations manual demands as needed minimum rescue services and which exemptions are allowed. Between 05.00-22.00 UTC daily on 01FEB and 02FEB limited operations with restricted hourly capacity (10) are possible from ATC perspective, that would be handled with slots if need be.

Basically you would need just one person to connect the jet bridge to deplane passengers. Biggest hurdle would probably be unloading of baggage and cargo, at least it will be slow and long delays to be expected. But you would get Finland (HEL) bound passengers in and aircraft back to homebase. Otherwise they need to start cancelling longhaul flights already starting from 30JAN or park the aircraft at outstations, which I doubt.

Getting anything flying out from HEL 01FEB and 02FEB is really the bigger problem.
Old Jan 28, 2024, 10:09 am

HEL-BKK (AY 145) departs HEL on 31 Jan at 16:35. Anyone know, or have thoughts about, whether that flight will be able to take off?
Old Jan 28, 2024, 10:13 am

Programs: AF Platinum/AY LUMO/SK EBG/baEC S/HYATT Globalist/MR LTP/A3 *G/HH Dia/IHG plat
Originally Posted by SixMileMtn
HEL-BKK (AY 145) departs HEL on 31 Jan at 16:35. Anyone know, or have thoughts about, whether that flight will be able to take off?
i am sure they will depart and just park at BKK, they will need a bird there for the return after the strike anyways, of course this is just my opinion....
Old Jan 28, 2024, 10:33 am

Originally Posted by kauppias
i am sure they will depart and just park at BKK, they will need a bird there for the return after the strike anyways, of course this is just my opinion....
Hope so!
Old Jan 28, 2024, 11:22 am

Programs: AF Platinum/AY LUMO/SK EBG/baEC S/HYATT Globalist/MR LTP/A3 *G/HH Dia/IHG plat
Hope so!
hopium is a good force

Time will show
Old Jan 28, 2024, 11:27 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Onyx Platinum
We are on that flight too.

It is a good few hours before the take off deadline cut off.
Old Jan 28, 2024, 12:37 pm

Programs: AY, SK, TK
Originally Posted by kauppias
Those crew have no interest to strike knowing they will be stranded for BKK for the strike time and needing to return shortly so they happily take some vacation time so dont worry they WANT to depart🤪🤪🤪
Sparkyfletch likes this.
Old Jan 29, 2024, 12:45 am

Programs: AY Platinum (OWE), SK G(*G), BW Diamond
SAS no longer sells tickets to HEL for thu&Fri, I guess everyone is now waiting who will make the first actual call. But a weird situation if 3 days before striking, no one still says anything solid, I guess the notam being only solid thing right now. But as any notam, I guess it is always Subject to changes at any time.
Old Jan 29, 2024, 1:12 am

Originally Posted by Post Scriptum
SAS no longer sells tickets to HEL for thu&Fri, I guess everyone is now waiting who will make the first actual call. But a weird situation if 3 days before striking, no one still says anything solid, I guess the notam being only solid thing right now. But as any notam, I guess it is always Subject to changes at any time.
a3 is happy to sell tickets for friday to HEL
Old Jan 29, 2024, 2:28 am

Programs: Free Agent Level 2; MR LT(!)TE, HH SE, ALL SE, BA GECM, DL MM, UA PS, 2V Fanboi, CBP GE
Originally Posted by tuonopepper
Both my flights are A350 - LHR/HEL/JFK on the 1st with 1hr 45 connection, really can't see it! Sure you could swap the LHR/HEL to an A320 but I believe in normal opps that's still a cat7 aircraft, plus obviously a lot lower capacity than an A350.
​​​​​​
I just tried chat with Cust services, all I was hoping is they'd have a date they'd publish cancellations, the response was nonsense 'We are unable to cancel flights as we do not know if delay or cancellations will be required' .........like they think they will operate a full schedule, madness.
Yeah, I'm not particularly impressed by AY's handling of this situation so far. I'm supposed to transit HEL on a similar itinerary on Friday (BA codes AY metal), and there are perfectly viable options via LHR that I could switch to, except neither BA nor AY appear willing or able to do so. In contrast, having dealt with many potential and actual strikes via AF, I've had no problems changing my routing via AF or DL even before flight cancellations began.
Old Jan 29, 2024, 2:36 am

Programs: BA Gold, VS Gold, IHG Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hertz Presidents Circle.
Agree, it's a joke they haven't cancelled anything yet or at least aren't impressing on OW partners the need for flexibility like AY are offering on their own tickets. They are just going to end up with lots of angry connecting PX stuck completely soon as other availability will dry up.

There's also the fact that the closer it gets to departure the harder it is to cancel stuff like accomodation, sure it's covered by travel insurance but that's all hassle that is unnecessary.

AY just need to pull their finger out and start proactively cancelling stuff.
Old Jan 29, 2024, 2:46 am

Originally Posted by tuonopepper
Agree, it's a joke they haven't cancelled anything yet or at least aren't impressing on OW partners the need for flexibility like AY are offering on their own tickets. They are just going to end up with lots of angry connecting PX stuck completely soon as other availability will dry up.

There's also the fact that the closer it gets to departure the harder it is to cancel stuff like accomodation, sure it's covered by travel insurance but that's all hassle that is unnecessary.

AY just need to pull their finger out and start proactively cancelling stuff.

I would not be so sure about insurance covering it, I called IF insurance abd their travel policies exclude any strike action which I found unbeleivable...
Old Jan 29, 2024, 2:53 am

Just a friendly reminder: In Finland you don’t have to tell if you are partipicating strike or not. And to avoid any problems, companies wont ask this.

So they don’t actually know who is showing up to shifts and whos not. Usually they only calculate managers to show up.
Old Jan 29, 2024, 3:06 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AY+ Platinum, SK Gold, LH M&M SEN, airbaltic Executive, Radisson VIP
https://company.finnair.com/en/media...699486B6B98F64

Finnair to cancel approximately 550 flights due to political strike in Finland on 1–2 February

Several employee unions in Finland have announced a political strike against the Finnish Government, taking place on February 1–2, 2024. The political strike will have a significant impact on Helsinki Airport’s operations and on Finnair’s flight operations, and consequently, Finnair expects to cancel approximately 550 flights between 1.–2.2.2024.

Finnair has approximately 280 flights per day in its normal traffic program, so the vast majority of flights will be cancelled. Finnair targets to operate a handful of flights during the strike and will communicate directly to those customers who have booking on flights that will be flown.

Finnair will implement flight cancellations in its systems one flight at a time, starting from Tuesday morning January 30, with customers being offered alternative routings. Customers on long-haul flights with onward connections from Helsinki on February 1–2 will be routed directly to their destinations, as there are no connections from Helsinki during the strike.

During the strike, ground services, such as baggage loading​,​ and ​inflight service (e.g. food and drink offerings)​, may be ​affected​ and the flights that ​do operate​ on those days may be delayed.

"We have already given customers the opportunity to change their travel dates on Finnair flights. From January 30 onwards we start rerouting customers, using also other airlines’ flights,” says Jari Paajanen, Vice President, Finnair Operations Control Center.

Due to the large number of cancelled flights and customers, processing the cancellations and rerouting customers takes approximately two days.

"We will do our very best to offer a suitable flight option to as many customers as possible, but the number of alternative flights is limited," says Paajanen. "We ask customers to kindly wait for the rerouting from us, as our customer service team is busier than usual and queue times can be long."

“It is unfortunate that the political strike will affect so many customers’ travel. We will work in close collaboration with our partners to ensure that after the strike, our flight operations can again commence as smoothly as possible,” says Jari Paajanen.

Already on January 19 Finnair offered its customers the possibility to move their flights away from strike days. Customers with bookings on Finnair flights between February 1 and February 2 have been able to bring their trip forward or postpone it so that the travel date is no later than March 15, 2024. If the customer's ticket type normally allows for changes, customers can change travel dates themselves in Manage booking service on Finnair's website. If the customer's ticket type does not allow for changes, a cost-free change to the travel date can be made by contacting the travel agency that booked the ticket or Finnair customer service. Finnair has already communicated this possibility directly to customers who have reservations during strike days.

If it is not possible for the customer to change the time of their travel, they can cancel their reservation and apply for a refund for the unused ticket. Customers who have purchased a ticket from Finnair can do this in Manage booking on Finnair's website or by contacting Finnair customer service. If the ticket has not been purchased directly from Finnair, the customer is to contact the travel agency that booked the ticket. ​​​​​​​

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.