Strike February 1 and 2

Old Jan 27, 2024, 6:30 am

Programs: AY Platinum, IHG Gold, Diners
Originally Posted by beachboy1966
Damm, seems like HEL will be closed to all commercial flights from 31JAN 22.00 - 02JAN 22.00.
And I have a LH flight from Asia arriving HEL on 01.FEB

I wonder if it's an option for FIN to land aircraft at TLL rather than HEL, only 50km away
Do you have a source for the HEL closure?
Old Jan 27, 2024, 6:35 am

Programs: AY Plat (OWE), SK EBG (*A Gold), KQ Plat (STE+), Accor Plat
Originally Posted by niksal
Do you have a source for the HEL closure?
The notam that is listed above as well:
TRAFFIC RESTRICTIONS:

DLY 2200-0500: ALL COMMERCIAL FLIGHTS AND DIVERSIONS WILL BE

RESTRICTED TO 0 OPS PER HOUR. ONLY MIL/AUTHORITY FLIGHTS AND

STS/HEAD, STS/SAR, STS/ATFMX, STS/FFR, STS/MEDEVAC ARE ACCEPTED.

REF AIP, ENR 1.9 PARA 4.

DLY 05000-2200: EST AP CAPACITY 10 OPS PER HOUR.

OPERATORS ARE ADVISED TO CONFIRM THE AVBL OF GROUND HANDLING
SERVICES IN ADVANCE BEFORE THE FLIGHT. REF AIP SUP 011/2024FROM: 31JAN24 2200 TO: 02FEB24 2200 (A0199/24)

+
FIRE FIGHTING AND RESCUE DOWNGRADED TO CAT 5FROM: 31JAN24 2200 TO: 02FEB24 2200 (A0205/24)
Old Jan 27, 2024, 7:31 am

Programs: AY Platinum, IHG Gold, Diners
Doesn’t that say 10 flights per hour, if ground handling is available? So SAS or Norwegian could fly? Or am I misreading that?
Old Jan 27, 2024, 7:32 am

Programs: AY Plat (OWE), SK EBG (*A Gold), KQ Plat (STE+), Accor Plat
Originally Posted by niksal
Doesn’t that say 10 flights per hour, if ground handling is available? So SAS or Norwegian could fly? Or am I misreading that?
Whoops, I read just that "commercial ops restricted to 0" but that was only until 5am.

As ground services will be extremely limited, I am not very optimistic about SAS or Norwegian flights, though.
Old Jan 27, 2024, 8:04 am

Programs: BA Gold, VS Gold, IHG Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hertz Presidents Circle.
Originally Posted by lkrt
Whoops, I read just that "commercial ops restricted to 0" but that was only until 5am.

As ground services will be extremely limited, I am not very optimistic about SAS or Norwegian flights, though.
It's the Cat5 fire cover that kills most flights I believe, meaning anything bigger than a Dash 8 basically can't go there, so 737/A3xx and upwards size wise.
Old Jan 27, 2024, 9:06 am

Originally Posted by tuonopepper
It's the Cat5 fire cover that kills most flights I believe, meaning anything bigger than a Dash 8 basically can't go there, so 737/A3xx and upwards size wise.
I would not rule out operations with larger aircraft based on firefighting capability alone. It all depends on each carriers operations manual what is and isn´t possible in regard to firefighting capabilities, as well as other operational evaluations. Temporary downgrading of the firefighting category does not render the aerodrome unusable, per se, although it might in some cases limit its usability. Airport operator has not, at least yet, issued any limitations concerning specific aircraft types during the strike period.
tuonopepper likes this.
Old Jan 27, 2024, 9:19 am

So, the airport is supposed to reopen after 22:00 2/2
Is it too optimistic to assume the operation will be normal and the flights scheduled on 3rd Feb morning will be on schedule?
Probably…
Old Jan 27, 2024, 9:48 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AY+ Platinum, SK Gold, LH M&M SEN, airbaltic Executive, Radisson VIP
I would not rule out any knock on effect.
Old Jan 27, 2024, 10:02 am

Originally Posted by beachboy1966
I wonder if it's an option for FIN to land aircraft at TLL rather than HEL, only 50km away
Given that AY pilots are on strike there is hardly any chance that any of them would fly to TLL, HEL or any other airport until the strike is over.
Old Jan 27, 2024, 11:51 am

Originally Posted by Hezu
Given that AY pilots are on strike there is hardly any chance that any of them would fly to TLL, HEL or any other airport until the strike is over.
Oh, the pilots are on strike too? I didn’t know that…
Old Jan 27, 2024, 12:13 pm

Programs: BA Gold, VS Gold, IHG Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hertz Presidents Circle.
I'm perplexed as to why they haven't started cancelling stuff at this point, unless they are hoping the strike is called off?
youngfogey likes this.
Old Jan 27, 2024, 12:36 pm

Originally Posted by Hezu
Haven´t seen any announcement about scope or timing of pilots participation. Only reference I found from the press is: "Suomen Liikennelentäjäliitto on mukana itsenäisenä toimijana ja päättää erikseen toimiensa laajuuden", which translates roughly: "Pilots union participates as independent actor and decides extent of actions separately". Would need more information to make any decisive conclusions, but regardless of pilots, available flights surely will be very limited. Certainly no temporary ops to/ from TLL or anywhere else.
Old Jan 27, 2024, 4:28 pm

Programs: AY Platinum, TK Elite, BT VIP, AA, BA, SK, DL, NT, WB + hotels
Originally Posted by miffydup
So, the airport is supposed to reopen after 22:00 2/2
Is it too optimistic to assume the operation will be normal and the flights scheduled on 3rd Feb morning will be on schedule?
Probably…
I would assume shorthaul flights will operate normally. No reason why not.

Longhauls are a bit of a question mark because we don't know what AY intends to do with the planeson 31JAN, fly them out or keep them at home.
Old Jan 28, 2024, 1:02 am

Originally Posted by ffay005
Longhauls are a bit of a question mark because we don't know what AY intends to do with the planeson 31JAN, fly them out or keep them at home.
At least for cabin crew scope of the strike is limited to departures from HEL. Returning longhaul flights to HEL on 01FEB should be possible, as those are excluded with exemption. Link in finnish: Ref. AKT

Late night departures from HEL 31JAN, as well as flights returning to HEL very close to or after midnight are likely to be under threat to be cancelled, as HEL airport closes (MIL, AUTH, SAR, MED exempt) for the night on 31JAN at 22.00 UTC (00.00 LT). Limited operation resuming again after 05.00 UTC (07.00 LT) on 01FEB.

Early morning longhaul arrivals from Asia (HKG, HND, ICN, NRT and SIN) on 01FEB and 02FEB would need to be delayed pass the 05.00 UTC mark due to above mentioned airport restrictions. Aircraft for those rotations depart from HEL earliest already on 30JAN afternoon or night between 30-31JAN. I doubt AY would park aircraft at outstations on purpose for duration of strike.

Last edited by FlyingAY; Jan 28, 2024 at 3:45 am
Old Jan 28, 2024, 3:42 am
a_k

Programs: AY+ Plat
Originally Posted by FlyingAY
At least for cabin crew scope of the strike is limited to departures from HEL. Returning longhaul flights to HEL on 01FEB should be possible, as those are excluded with exemption. Link in finnish: Ref. AKT

Late night departures from HEL 31JAN, as well as flights returning to HEL very close to or after midnight are likely to be under threat to be cancelled, as HEL airport closes (MIL, AUTH, SAR, MED exempt) for the night on 31JAN at 22.00 UTC (00.00 LT). Limited operation resuming again after 05.00 UTC (07.00 LT) on 01FEB.
Sure, but what about the restrictions because of limited ground staff and rescue services? Could A350s land?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.