Strike February 1 and 2

Old Jan 23, 2024, 5:27 am

Programs: AY: Platinum, Emirates: Gold
Any rumours of when will AY start cancelling flights?
Old Jan 23, 2024, 5:34 am

Protip: if you want to change for booking on 31 Jan to 3 Feb, even with a booking with no change possible, have the Finnair flight info page ready to copy-and-paste the statement saying that it is allowed for those date to the customer service chat. They weren't aware of that when I was trying to change the dates.
ffay005 and florens like this.
Old Jan 24, 2024, 12:04 pm

Programs: AY+Plat, ALL Plat
Originally Posted by Jaakko7
Any rumours of when will AY start cancelling flights?
Not before the last chance of negotiations leading to postponement or cancellation of the strike happens. And then likely in multiple stages as the relative severity of the situation becomes clearer.

It's a weird situation, holding a political strike between two rounds of a political election. I don't imagine that the presidential candidates of parties in government are too happy about it. I guess that the dates were picked to avoid clashing with school vacation days anywhere in the country.
Jaakko7 likes this.
Old Jan 24, 2024, 4:09 pm

Programs: AC Elite
If the strike doesn't target other airlines or Finnavia...

Would AY rebook passengers on other airlines on affected days. SK or D8 for example?
Old Jan 25, 2024, 3:21 am

Programs: UA 1k, AA EXPLT, NZ GE, VA PLT Hyatt Diam, Marr Plat, HH Diam
Originally Posted by ffay005
Somehow this does sound like extraordinary in my view. While AY staff are on strike, it is not because of something AY did or didn’t do. This very different from a “you want 4%, we’ll give you 0.3%” strike.
EU261 does apply in this situation as AY staff are striking. It doesn’t matter why AY are doing a work stoppage.
Old Jan 25, 2024, 3:24 am

Programs: UA 1k, AA EXPLT, NZ GE, VA PLT Hyatt Diam, Marr Plat, HH Diam

Is a strike an extraordinary circumstance?

Airlines are not always obligated to offer compensation following a strike because strikes are usually considered to be 'extraordinary circumstances'. These are situations beyond the control of the airline, and can include adverse weather conditions as well as certain strike action.

But when a flight is delayed or cancelled due to strike action taking place by the airline's own employees (eg pilots, airline staff), then the airline is required to pay compensation to passengers.

Even sudden 'wildcat' strikes aren't classed as extraordinary circumstances when the industrial action has been called by an airline's staff rather than a third party, such as an air traffic control or a baggage handling strike.

This principle was confirmed by European judges in the German case of Helga Krüsemann and Others v TUIfly GmbH and will be legally binding throughout Europe and in the UK.

It remains the airline’s responsibility to ensure it has contingencies in place to guarantee you still arrive on time.

Delayed by the after-effects of a strike

A European Court of Justice ruling in October 2012 stated that airlines should compensate passengers if they're denied boarding because of a strike, after the strike takes place.

For example, if a strike happens on a Monday, and this is categorised as an extraordinary circumstance, then compensation would be not payable.

But, if there are still delays or cancellations on the Tuesday and the strike is over, compensation would be payable, even if the delays and cancellations are because of the strike the day before.
Old Jan 25, 2024, 3:42 am

Programs: AY: Platinum, Emirates: Gold
I reckon is a bit more complex, because ground staff will be striking. So even if AY staff would be working on Feb 1-2, they still couldn't fly.
Old Jan 25, 2024, 9:19 am

Programs: BA Gold, VS Gold, IHG Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hertz Presidents Circle.
Just had the email from AY, which is typical as I'm due LHR/HEL/JFK on the 1st with a 1hr45 connection, then onwards to LAX and HNL......BA ticket so codeshare flights which means AYs offer of cancellation of the booking is meaningless for me, until AY actually cancel one of the codeshare flights.

I'd rather not get mixed up in the chaos but if have no choice but to start the journey I guess there's a lot of options LHR/HEL with AY/BA though of course if HEL airport and ATC are out the airline is largely irrelevant. If I got to HEL and the JFK is cancelled I'm stuck really.....I guess a direct LHR to LAX with BA is the answer but again BA won't do anything until AY cancel.

Any ideas when cancellation lists will start to flow?
Old Jan 25, 2024, 9:49 am

Programs: AY+Plat, ALL Plat
Originally Posted by tuonopepper
Just had the email from AY, which is typical as I'm due LHR/HEL/JFK on the 1st (...)
Email? Typical? You mean the regular flight reminder? I have not received any proactive communication from AY and I'm ticketed on February 2.
Old Jan 25, 2024, 10:27 am

Originally Posted by Courmisch
Email? Typical? You mean the regular flight reminder? I have not received any proactive communication from AY and I'm ticketed on February 2.
No, not a typical flight reminder, specific email about the disruption, in fact 2 identical ones, lol.

The guts of it are - advise against travel 31st to 3rd. No cancellation list yet however, you should be able to change dates/refund flights via My Booking.

I'm just knackered as the flights are.part.of a TP run booked on BA 125 ticket stock, so until BA issue guidance, which they won't until AY cancel something I'm stuck with commencing my journey.
Old Jan 25, 2024, 11:53 am

Programs: AY Platinum, IHG Gold, Diners
Originally Posted by Cloud Lounger
Would AY rebook passengers on other airlines on affected days. SK or D8 for example?
This is my big question. Are these airlines flying to HEL on Feb 1st-2nd, or are they not? I can’t find a clear answer.
Old Jan 25, 2024, 12:20 pm

Programs: AF Platinum/AY LUMO/SK EBG/baEC S/HYATT Globalist/MR LTP/A3 *G/HH Dia/IHG plat
Originally Posted by niksal
This is my big question. Are these airlines flying to HEL on Feb 1st-2nd, or are they not? I can’t find a clear answer.
there is no clear answer yet I think until we know who all are on strike, quite a mess until they give details
ffay005 likes this.
Old Jan 25, 2024, 1:48 pm

Refund

Hello !
This might be a trivial question as I do not travel often.
I have a flight Paris -> HEL -> bangkok on february 1st in economy. I don't know if my flight is canceled.
If I cancel and ask a refund will I get it ? It's not clear.
Thanks !
Jules
Old Jan 25, 2024, 2:00 pm

Based on the email I got the answer is yes. Check in manage your booking I guess.
Old Jan 25, 2024, 2:31 pm

On the manage booking page I must cancel before asking for a refund...
The info on the mail is not clear as it states I can "apply" for a refund.
I will try to chat them tomorrow, thank you for your response
tuonopepper likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.