Strike February 1 and 2

Old Jan 21, 2024, 11:15 am

Programs: AY Platinum, TK Elite, BT VIP, AA, BA, SK, DL, NT, WB + hotels
Somehow this does sound like extraordinary in my view. While AY staff are on strike, it is not because of something AY did or didn’t do. This very different from a “you want 4%, we’ll give you 0.3%” strike.
Old Jan 21, 2024, 11:26 am

Programs: AF Platinum/AY LUMO/SK EBG/baEC S/HYATT Globalist/MR LTP/A3 *G/HH Dia/IHG plat
Originally Posted by ffay005
Somehow this does sound like extraordinary in my view. While AY staff are on strike, it is not because of something AY did or didn’t do. This very different from a “you want 4%, we’ll give you 0.3%” strike.

While I do agree, ay uses the extraordinary claim on pretty much everything
ffay005 likes this.
Old Jan 21, 2024, 12:18 pm

Originally Posted by Extra Mile
Just asked to rebook my 3.2. Flights but CS just said, I can move only1.-2.2. Flights, not 31.1. Or 3.2.??
Interesting. wonder if all flights (atleast Long-haul) are going outbound from HEL on 31.1?
Old Jan 21, 2024, 12:41 pm

Programs: Oneworld Emerald, EBG
I would send the bill to Jarkko Eloranta - Finlands Al Capone
niko, ffay005 and jann3 like this.
Old Jan 21, 2024, 1:25 pm

Originally Posted by Niko29
Interesting. wonder if all flights (atleast Long-haul) are going outbound from HEL on 31.1?
No idea what they are planning to do, but in the past, they've tried to fly as many longhauls as possible even during strikes. Aurinkomatkat flights are also priority #1.

Would it make sense to fly outbound longhauls on 31JAN so that they can return 03FEB? Crew + plane staying in the destination.
Old Jan 21, 2024, 1:38 pm

Originally Posted by ffay005
No idea what they are planning to do, but in the past, they've tried to fly as many longhauls as possible even during strikes. Aurinkomatkat flights are also priority #1.

Would it make sense to fly outbound longhauls on 31JAN so that they can return 03FEB? Crew + plane staying in the destination.
yeah.. But i think they have flown returning long hauls on strike situations empty, no ?
Old Jan 21, 2024, 1:38 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AY+ Platinum
Originally Posted by Olperoo
I have an award booking on 2nd Feb. Called to plat CS and inquired about date change (anything between 29-31 Jan. Answer: "sry, no can do, no availability". What a bunch of BS this is again
Advised to wait for the cancellation email and if need be then call again. If i get rerouted on a later date, its going to be a less-pleasant situation, as I have another flight on a different airline and PNR on 6th Feb. Also there's the hassle with hotel bookings etc etc. Would AY have to comp those at least in part?

Any thoughts whether EC261 would be applicable in case of cancellation? External strikes (which are also present in this case) would be considered extraordinary circumstances whereas internal strikes (which are also present) IIRC would not...
Wondering how to proceed or should I just wait it out.
I had an award booked for February 2nd and reached out to CS just after hearing about the news and opening this thread. I first tried moving it to a day with no availability, but I was also told that it wasn't possible. This was on the Platinum line by phone, for reference. Fortunately there was availability on another day that happened to work just fine in my case, so I didn't bother fighting it and just moved it to that date.
Old Jan 21, 2024, 2:15 pm

Programs: AY Platinum (OWE), SK G(*G), BW Diamond
Any idea will this impact other airlines as well? I doubt AY can ax outbound leg on 31.1 but to book oneway on * might be good option on 2nd IF other airlines actually continue flying to HEL.
Old Jan 21, 2024, 7:49 pm

Programs: AF Platinum/AY LUMO/SK EBG/baEC S/HYATT Globalist/MR LTP/A3 *G/HH Dia/IHG plat
Originally Posted by Post Scriptum
Any idea will this impact other airlines as well? I doubt AY can ax outbound leg on 31.1 but to book oneway on * might be good option on 2nd IF other airlines actually continue flying to HEL.
if there are no ground services etc I doubt there will be many flights at all but I suppose it will be clearer soon
Old Jan 22, 2024, 1:07 am

Programs: AY Platinum, IHG Diamond
I have a return award LH with outbound leg on Feb 2nd - return later. I was moving fast and breaking things so I booked another one way (outbound) LH award right after the strike. I asked from PlatsApp if I can use the original return inbound flight even if the outbound is cancelled and they confirmed it's doable.
Now I'll sit and wait what happens to the original outbound, backup plan is available. Still very frustrating situation for the customer.
ffay005 likes this.
Old Jan 22, 2024, 5:59 am

Have a flight that flies out of Tokyo very late on 2nd (23:05) and lands at HEL early on 3rd.
Hmm, they keep saying that this strike has really nothing to do with the airline itself, so I wonder if they will try to fly this one since by the time they land, the airport should be operating, and the crew and the plane that flew in on 30th Jan would be grounded in Japan anyway?
Wishful thinking?
Old Jan 22, 2024, 6:37 am

Originally Posted by miffydup
Wishful thinking?
It depends. If they fly a plane out to Japan on 31JAN and that plane stays there until the strike is over, then that plane will indeed operate 02FEB as scheduled, landing at HEL 03FEB.

But we do not know whether AY will proactively cancel longhauls ex-HEL on 31JAN to avoid having the crew spend extra nights at the destination, nor do we know whether AY is able to operate some flights during the strike. If they are, I suppose those few flights to be operated will be longhauls and AM flights.

Right now I'd say the odds of your flight operating is more than 50 %.
Old Jan 22, 2024, 6:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
Originally Posted by miffydup
Have a flight that flies out of Tokyo very late on 2nd (23:05) and lands at HEL early on 3rd.
Hmm, they keep saying that this strike has really nothing to do with the airline itself, so I wonder if they will try to fly this one since by the time they land, the airport should be operating, and the crew and the plane that flew in on 30th Jan would be grounded in Japan anyway?
Wishful thinking?
Well, if the FAs and pilots will go on strike, I guess it has to do something with AY. But at this point "we don't know" - one might guess if the crew wants to go on strike while in Japan, getting no per diem and pay hotels from own pocket or not. You might be put on JL.

If the ground services go also on strike, then it'll be more than just AY that is effected.
Old Jan 22, 2024, 6:10 pm

Programs: AC Elite
if they strike, will AY ops be back to normal by Feb 4?

Have a weekend booked to Finland Feb 2-4 to visit family, taking advantage of being in the neighbourhood (Oslo) for business. Reading that if the strike happens, it's all but certain that AY wont be flying on the 2nd, but is there a reasonable assumption that they will be fully back in the air on Feb 4th? I’m currently scheduled to fly back to OSL at 16:00.

If it is worth the Feb 4 gamble, I will find another way to Finland on the 2nd, such as flying to TLL then hopping a two hour ferry. The Ferry website says they are sailing their normal schedule, no matter the strike. Whether that is true or possible, I don’t know. Price wise, it comes out pretty even, and I could even arrange it to arrive earlier than my booked AY flight (although quite a bit more travel hassle). That said, do I want to arrive in downtown Helsinki during a general strike?! I imagine the busses and commuter trains will be running to get picketers / protesters to and from Government House?

If Feb 4 flying AY is too big a gamble, I suppose I’ll stay in Oslo.

Anyway, the learned opinion from this place is well appreciated.
Old Jan 22, 2024, 6:40 pm

On 04FEB, everything will most definitely be back to normal, no worries.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.