Strike February 1 and 2

Old Jan 31, 2024, 3:52 am

Programs: BA Gold, VS Gold, IHG Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hertz Presidents Circle.
Originally Posted by Cloud Lounger
Received notice this morning that my Friday OSL-HEL flight (booked on BA Avios) was cancelled. As another poster mentioned, within about 10 minutes a new booking was sent. I am now ticketed OSL-FRA-HEL on LH. My new arrival time is only a couple of hours later (although it is a pretty early departure). All in all, it seems to me that AY (and BA) handled this very well.

Now I just have to hope there are no unpleasant surprises on Friday. Does Finland have a history of wildcat strikes or is pretty much everything known in advance?
Big strike in Germany now as well, albeit Thursday......possibly knock on effects for Friday?
Cloud Lounger likes this.
Old Jan 31, 2024, 5:29 am

Programs: AY+Plat, ALL Plat
I was rebooked HEL-BRU via FRA/LH at the same time as my flight got cancelled. Leaving 1 hour late, arriving 4 hours late. Fortunately this is for Friday, not tomorrow.

I am surprised that there even were seats left for me on LH. In fact, I suspect that I got some sort of preferential treatment as an acquaintance on the same flight was rebooked on AY but on a 28 hours later flight.
Old Jan 31, 2024, 6:20 am

Programs: BA gold, AF Platinum, IHG/hilton diamond/bonvoy titanium
Update:

I got my cancellation email this morning for my friday eveing LHR to HEL flight. I was rebooked for sat 3rd morning LHR to HEL on AY.

I called to rebook for either feb1/2 and was offered option of LH or KLM for free rebooking any flights. Given LH drama and strike , I opted for KLM and got rebooked LHR-ams-HEL for feb 1 thursday (1 day ahead of original schedule).

Waiting time 23 mins on phone. agent VERY efficient and friendly.

So cross fingers all ok.

Weird that other airlines seem to operate most of their flights when Finnair schedule is decimated. probably how finland strikes work I guess. good luck all (and me too) for the next days!
Old Jan 31, 2024, 7:42 am

Programs: HappinesSMiles Silver
I'm feeling adventurous so booked an outbound RYR for Friday. Let's see if I ever get to have wine in Wien.
FFlash and kauppias like this.
Old Jan 31, 2024, 8:24 am

Programs: AF Platinum/AY LUMO/SK EBG/baEC S/HYATT Globalist/MR LTP/A3 *G/HH Dia/IHG plat
Originally Posted by avermat
I'm feeling adventurous so booked an outbound RYR for Friday. Let's see if I ever get to have wine in Wien.
going there in a few hours 🤣🤣 FR F 🤣
Old Jan 31, 2024, 8:49 am

Programs: AY, SK, TK
Originally Posted by avermat
pun very intended
Old Jan 31, 2024, 9:48 am

Originally Posted by ALEXY267
Weird that other airlines seem to operate most of their flights when Finnair schedule is decimated. probably how finland strikes work I guess. good luck all (and me too) for the next days!
Finnair pilots and other staff are part of the umbrella unions calling the strike, and even if ground staff are (not sure), usually they can call up enough employees to manage some basic operations, which are probably enough to cover the other airlines
Old Feb 1, 2024, 1:25 am

Programs: AY+ Gold, SK Gold, BT VIP, Radisson Premium, Accor Platinum
BT flights from TMP were operated this morning. Even AMS and TLL are scheduled. Looks like it was a totally wrong decision/plan to burn Finnair points this weekend.
Old Feb 1, 2024, 1:28 am

Programs: AF Platinum/AY LUMO/SK EBG/baEC S/HYATT Globalist/MR LTP/A3 *G/HH Dia/IHG plat
Originally Posted by aapee
BT flights from TMP were operated this morning. Even AMS and TLL are scheduled. Looks like it was a totally wrong decision/plan to burn Finnair points this weekend.
I am flying A3 tomorrow and so far looks like they are planning to fly as scheduled too. Are taxis on strike? I assume no or otherwise getting home from the airport will suck
Old Feb 1, 2024, 3:27 am

Programs: SPG LTP, hotels, OWE, STE+, *G, Octopus
KLM landed yesterday, bags were delivered after midnight without any delay. The KL bird operating as KL1164 took off 12 min late this morning - KL1166 only five minutes late.
kauppias likes this.
Old Feb 1, 2024, 3:36 am

Programs: AY Platinum, IHG Diamond
Looks like airport crew, even if limited because of strikes, is capable of handling things when 99% of AY flights are not operating.
Old Feb 1, 2024, 4:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
Originally Posted by ALEXY267
AY pilots and cabin crew are also on strike that's why AY cancelled most of its flights - not too easy to fly, when the pointy end is empty . Other airlines are "only" effected by the ground crew/airport staff strike
Old Feb 2, 2024, 1:42 am

Programs: AY: Platinum, Emirates: Gold
Anyone knows if the Platinum Wing will be open tomorrow?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.