Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Finnair | Finnair Plus
Reload this Page >

Finnair Award Seat Guarantee in-practice?

Old Nov 1, 2023, 7:06 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska 75K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, *A Gold w/ Krisflyer Gold

Hi all, came across Finnair's "Award Seat Guarantee" page on their website the other day: https://www.finnair.com/us-en/finnai...20and%20Dubai*.

It's noted that 2 business class, 2 PE and 4 economy seats will be made available on the longhauls to and from Helsinki, starting today for bookings February onwards. However, I haven't seen any extra awards appear on the North America routes (I haven't checked the others...)

^ Anyone know if the implementation of this was delayed, or if they aren't holding up their word? (Or if they're simply only adding these seats for "new" flights opened for bookings after today)
Old Nov 1, 2023, 7:48 pm

Programs: AY Platinum, TK Elite, AA, BA, SK, DL, NT, WB + hotels
Or perhaps they have cleared waitlists. Personally, I would not trust such "guarantees" at all.
Old Nov 1, 2023, 8:16 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska 75K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, *A Gold w/ Krisflyer Gold
I'd be surprised if it was waitlists clearing, since the award availability for the few months/routes I checked was almost the exact same both before and after November 1st, so unless ppl waitlist every route on every date that seems unlikely... but I'm hardly a Finnair loyalist and wasn't even aware there was a waitlist option
avermat likes this.
Old Nov 2, 2023, 2:54 am

Programs: AY, M&M, BAEC ...and don t care of status anymore
I tried to book awards on flights where the seat map shows no taken seats, only waitlist was available.
Old Nov 2, 2023, 4:59 am

Programs: AY+ Plat
Awards are released to the end of schedule.
Old Nov 2, 2023, 7:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
I don't know if this new guarantee has anything to do with it, but my long waitlisted HEL-LHR cleared yesterday (1/Nov), 3 weeks out.
Old Nov 7, 2023, 7:01 pm
Original Poster

Looks to me like what happened is they started releasing the new seats regularly for September onwards, but didn't backdate the offering to February 1st as originally mentioned...
Old Nov 7, 2023, 11:52 pm

Programs: AF/KL FB Plat ; A3 Gold ; HH Gold ; IHG Plat Amb
I think they backdated it to february but deducted the award seats already made available previously and already booked
ffay005 likes this.
Old Nov 8, 2023, 8:56 am

Programs: AY Platinum, TK Elite
I noticed a great difference. I booked rewards flights to Tokyo last spring for next spring, had to choose really bad dates, but I wanted to use the old prices and was hoping to change the dates later to better ones. I have been looking, but availability has been really bad. On 1.11 it opened up. Suddenly there was availability on all days in all classes next spring. And I was able to pick perfect days, traveling in PE.
r2d2 and blueskiy like this.
Old Nov 9, 2023, 11:11 am

Programs: AY+ plat / SK EBG
Not sure if it is related to the guarantee or contacting WA or maybe my "rant" to the head of loyalty last week, but anyway my award J's to HKT got confirmed yesterday at T-80d. Now planning where to trek in Northern Malaysia...
SPBanker likes this.
Old Nov 15, 2023, 8:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

LHR and BCN upgrades confirmed with 24 hrs, T-1month
Old Nov 15, 2023, 12:39 pm

Programs: BA Gold, OZ Diamond, LH Silver
It's a really good time to use points now as availability for next year is better than it has ever been. For example some quite full winter holiday flights to Lapland still show 4 award seats available. One flight is even sold out for cash bookings but still 4 awards on sale.
r2d2 likes this.

Last edited by haapalainen; Nov 15, 2023 at 3:16 pm
Old Nov 15, 2023, 1:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by haapalainen
It's a really good time to use points now as availabikity for next year is better than it has ever been. For example some quite full winter holiday flights to Lapland still show 4 award seats available. One flight is even sold out for cash bookings but still 4 awards on sale.
Before the BA Avios crowd comes in...
Old Nov 15, 2023, 11:57 pm

Programs: AY Plat (OWE), SK EBG (*A Gold), KQ Plat (STE+), Accor Plat, Hilton Honors Gold
Originally Posted by haapalainen
One flight is even sold out for cash bookings but still 4 awards on sale.
How is this possible?!
Old Nov 16, 2023, 1:12 am

Programs: AY, SK, TK
Originally Posted by lkrt
How is this possible?!
Why not possible? If they change (or have changed) the logic, fully possible.
My understanding is (just gut feeling, no knowledge), the release if awards has been dynamic before (award space opening up according to revenue seat demand), while now they will start with a fixed award slot independent of demand as I read it from their latest communications.

For example on SAS I have experienced kind of similar (no knowledge again, just gut feeling): sometimes no awards available on a route where I can find supercheap revenue(then I buy itninstead of points use) seat, but sometimes when flight is full and last superpricey revenue seat on sale, I can still find award (then I book it ofc)

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.