Taxi scam at Helsinki Airport

Old Oct 14, 2023, 9:21 am
Original Poster

Taxi scam at Helsinki Airport

Hi,
A friend was just charged almost 80 EUROS for a ride from HEL to town. I am guessing she took one of the “private” taxis instead of Fixu, Menevä or Taksi Helsinki. (Didn’t have a chance to tell her to only take one of those).

She tried to argue with the driver to no avail. Does she have any recourse? Worth filing a police report? Just checked the Finavia site, I am very surprised there is no info about any of this. Thanks
Old Oct 14, 2023, 9:27 am

Programs: AY LUMO
Police report for what?

Taxi pricing is free in HEL. Always ask price before entering the vehicle. And avoid höpöhöpö taxi.
Old Oct 14, 2023, 9:43 am
Original Poster

Thanks. If I remember correctly, there is a screen in the arrivals hall with the rates from the companies above, including flat rate fares to town. How are tourists / visitors supposed to know that there are other drivers that just charge whatever they want?
FMDXR and AJNEDC like this.
Old Oct 14, 2023, 9:53 am

Originally Posted by Mister P.
How are tourists / visitors supposed to know that there are other drivers that just charge whatever they want?
They aren't. You can thank Anne Berner.
Alec84 and Helsinki is HEL like this.
Old Oct 14, 2023, 9:58 am

Programs: AY LUMO
How are tourists / visitors supposed to know that there are other drivers that just charge whatever they want?
Like all over the world, before entering a taxi or adult entertainment venue: ask price/pricelist first.
Old Oct 14, 2023, 10:06 am

Programs: EuroBonus Diamond, Delta Skymiles 360, BAEC LTG, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Ambassador
Taxis? Helsinki has Uber and Bolt, welcome to the 21st century. Cost is confirmed before you order.
Takubon and Ed Size like this.
Old Oct 14, 2023, 10:06 am
Original Poster

I don’t agree with this. Again, if you have a massive screen by the entrance to the taxi area showing the rates to town, including the flat rates, how is a visitor supposed to know that there are “other” rates?
Old Oct 14, 2023, 10:10 am

Programs: AY Plat Lumo, SK Gold
Again, if you have a massive screen by the entrance to the taxi area showing the rates to town, including the flat rates, how is a visitor supposed to know that there are “other” rates?
In Finland we say "Siperia opettaa". It means learning the hard way.
Old Oct 14, 2023, 10:46 am

Programs: AF Platinum/AY LUMO/SK EBG/baEC S/HYATT Globalist/MR LTP/A3 *G/HH Dia/IHG plat
I don’t agree with this. Again, if you have a massive screen by the entrance to the taxi area showing the rates to town, including the flat rates, how is a visitor supposed to know that there are “other” rates?
the screen shows the rates for the different companies, the The taxi rank is separated i to the xxx lanes with each brand having their own and then the so called wild lane, it is indeed a clusterF I avoid taxis in Finland, and to be honest in most other countries too, the taxis used to be realiable now they are just a unsure risk in my opinion. They should have a HUGE yellow sign near the taksi rank to remind pax to ask price FIRST
Old Oct 14, 2023, 11:44 am

You can complain to Traficom if you have a receipt and kept details, but otherwise caveat empor as with everything
Old Oct 14, 2023, 1:24 pm
Original Poster

Thanks. Will pass on the information.
Old Oct 14, 2023, 2:02 pm

Programs: AY+
The first three lanes of taxis are of companies that offer a fixed price to center: 35€ FixuTaxi and TaksiHelsinki and 39€ Menevä. However, you have to agree with the driver to use this fixed price. If you don't tell him to use this fixed price, they will use a time + per km charge. So it's possible that your friend took indeed a taxi from one of these companies, yet if you don't demand at the start of the ride that you are using the fixed price, they will charge a much higher fare. It's very unfortunate, but you have to be quite aggressive and make sure that they enter the fixed rate on their device and most visitors don't know about this (a fair share of locals neither). Usually drivers pack your luggage quickly and start the ride immediately, not giving you time to even discuss this: make sure you don't close the door before agreeing on the fixed rate. Moreover, once the driver tried pull out a "my card reader is not working today" once the ride was started - this is of course not acceptable. It's a pity that HEL airport taxis have become a stressful situation for many, but it's good to remember that you can move on to the next taxi in the line if the driver seems shady.
Old Oct 14, 2023, 3:08 pm

Programs: AY
And for ppl not going to Helsinki Area, the fix taxi rate doesn't apply and things are more complicated. I got very different prices for the same address in Espoo for the last few times(difference larger than 10€, some deviates almost 20eu). And they are from those Fixu/Menave companies.... Even though I could tell there was scam, nothing I could prove. They all seem charged me directly from meter and I don't know why price could be so wrong(I should had have paid more attention from starting price, maybe) I have knowledge of the correct range of price, because I also order taxi to HEL from the same address, and those prices are pretty consistent.

Taxi from HEL used to be quite reliable before Covid, at that time no company taxi line I just took whoever comes first, and never had any big price deviation. In general I trust company "taksi Helsinki" and I got instant order from its call center. ( Edit, they are also on Line2 from airport)

Just really, be cautious...and maybe order taxi(Uber) is the best way to avoid scam.

Last edited by cantongirl; Oct 14, 2023 at 3:31 pm
Old Oct 14, 2023, 4:00 pm

Originally Posted by cheesyfeet
They aren't. You can thank Anne Berner.
TBH it's nowadays T.Harakka's handprint. He made new taxi law and chose not to fix these issues.
Old Oct 14, 2023, 7:12 pm

Programs: AY Platinum (OWE), SK G(*G), BW Diamond
Originally Posted by cantongirl
And for ppl not going to Helsinki Area, the fix taxi rate doesn't apply and things are more complicated. I got very different prices for the same address in Espoo for the last few times(difference larger than 10€, some deviates almost 20eu). And they are from those Fixu/Menave companies.... Even though I could tell there was scam, nothing I could prove. They all seem charged me directly from meter and I don't know why price could be so wrong(I should had have paid more attention from starting price, maybe) I have knowledge of the correct range of price, because I also order taxi to HEL from the same address, and those prices are pretty consistent.

Taxi from HEL used to be quite reliable before Covid, at that time no company taxi line I just took whoever comes first, and never had any big price deviation. In general I trust company "taksi Helsinki" and I got instant order from its call center. ( Edit, they are also on Line2 from airport)

Just really, be cautious...and maybe order taxi(Uber) is the best way to avoid scam.
The simllest way to scam is to use I.e. 5 person rate rather than 1-4. You will see this in the receipt but if one does not look at it, I guess changes are these go through and...
cantongirl likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.