Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Finnair | Finnair Plus
Reload this Page >

When where the "good" times after which everything is "enhanced" away?

When where the "good" times after which everything is "enhanced" away?

Old Oct 12, 2023, 12:45 am
Original Poster

Programs: AY Platinum (OWE), SK G(*G), BW Diamond
When were the "good" times after which everything is "enhanced" away?

With all the enhancements around and most FF-boards being just about reminiscing of golden times, and how everything is worse, I started thinking when things were good. I think this is not a new topic, or maybe I saw similar discussion on some other board, but maybe worth reopening from the perspective of different streams and how they impact the overall outcome.
My personal FFP path begins from 2010 in BAEC, before that travel was only in WhY without any status, some random opups/booking very cheap J/F-flights getting one to experience the other side.

I think this would be some type of curve with Covid of course making a big mess in recent years, but on my personal experience, being in fully-flat J seat 62/64 ( can not remember which one was the coveted seat that I had) on top of 747, my position is early 2010s where the good times because:
- On the board product already solid, no recliners, F&B on still quite high level and in some high-end airlines quite near absolute top cost-wise (Dom and Krug flowing freely)
- Lounge offerings quite high-end, remembering JW Blue being freely available in LHR lounges
- One could actually got hold of customer service even as pleb, I remember calling AY plus side and getting answered within 5 minutes

Maybe someone can point some other windows of peakness
intuition, manywhere and Tuvv like this.

Last edited by Post Scriptum; Oct 12, 2023 at 4:19 am
Old Oct 12, 2023, 2:17 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Diamond
To be honest, I don't think that much has changed for me.

Crews range from functional at best down to "why did they even turn up?".....or sometimes "have they even turned up?".

BA in my opinion have rarely surpassed the lowest possible level. I'm not as swayed by others who get a top up or two and that makes them amazing. I start from boarding to disembarkation and make my mind up then.
AY crews generally go through the motions. Nothing more, nothing less from my experience.

Food and beverage wise. I'm not too fussed by high end champagnes, wines etc. Sometimes "cheaper" food stuffs are what I crave, or I'm used to, rather than some fancy dishes with bits and pieces I don't eat.
Sure I'll try Dom, Krug etc. as I'm not ever going to sample these in ordinary life - £35 for a bottle of even Moet that is 4 glasses? Nope.

The only things I miss are prices.
Years ago being able to do dirt cheap.(£220-£750) 16 sector runs on AA for example. Good times jetting between the US west coast and the Caribbean.
The £232 return business fares on AY from LHR-HEL-TLL were lovely.

Would be nice as well if the Platinum Wing was open for the 7:30am HEL-LHR departure. Always closed when I'm leaving HEL.
(Miss the Fazer "jaffa cakes" as well, although easy to buy these in a supermarket).
Alec84 and mpkz like this.

Last edited by xenole; Oct 12, 2023 at 2:26 am
Old Oct 12, 2023, 4:13 am

Programs: BA Gold
I think the Eyjafjallajökull eruption in 2010 was a turning point for the aviation industry in many ways.

I seem to remember significant service cuts following at AY shortly afterwards, though I am sure that was one of many factors affecting developments in the industry in the direction we have seen.
EuropeanPete and SPBanker like this.
Old Oct 12, 2023, 2:06 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
I’ve been mainly flying Finnair relatively recently, but the most obvious “good time” which is gone is when HEL was a great and fast way to make it to Asia.

Other than that, I quite like the new longhaul bed-seats for night flights and the Platinum Wing has been excellent every time I’ve been. Lower prices almost across the board (especially in J - except for OW RTW fares) is the other big positive development from a longer term perspective.

I started my business flying career about 20 years ago mainly with BA and what was good then and lost was the comfortable shorthaul J seats as well as a very luxurious Galleries First lounge in LHR T5. Sure, you had to wait in the “normal” fast track security lounge, but there was good food and €200 bottles of champagne waiting for you when you arrived. I also miss the upper deck of the 747 (and to a lesser degree the nose in F).
mpkz likes this.
Old Oct 12, 2023, 2:08 pm

Programs: BA Gold, AY Gold
For me the golden age were the years when whY fares from Scandinavia (and sometimes HEL) to places like California were really low (around 300e), while still earning 100% miles/points. Lounges were nicer than now and gaining status felt even too easy. Removing Helsingin Sanomat and Fazerin Siniset (chocolates) was a ...... more from AY that didn’t save any real money. Small things like these symbolized the decline from the best years 2014-2020.
Ukki likes this.
Old Oct 13, 2023, 6:48 am

I liked the times when OWEs also got platinum talk (even though rather akward), free OWE champagne in Y, business class had two choices of meals (including a good desser) and the preferred choice was quietly asked before everyone else. And on longer SH routes they served a savoury muffin before landing.

And it was not just (Finnish) or English but everyone spoke Swedish and quite many spoke also a fourth language.

So its mostly flight, food and drink-related. The long-haul J seats were earlier not so comfortable so everything was not better before.
sueco6 likes this.
Old Oct 13, 2023, 8:21 am

Programs: AY LUMO
Good times were before 9/11.

After that AY has been only savings, suffering, struggle and minimizing product and service.
Old Oct 13, 2023, 9:51 pm
Ambassador: Finnair

Programs: AY Lumo, BA Silver, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by OH-LGG
Good times were before 9/11.

After that AY has been only savings, suffering, struggle and minimizing product and service.
2nd to that, nothing was ever the same post 9/11.
Old Oct 14, 2023, 1:04 am

Programs: BA Gold, AY Gold
Aren’t pretty much all J seats superb now compared to pre-9/11? And IFE as well. So wouldn’t say it’s all worse now.
r2d2, Flythe96flag, mpkz and 1 others like this.
Old Oct 14, 2023, 8:40 am

Programs: AY Plat (OWE)
Originally Posted by Alec84
Aren’t pretty much all J seats superb now compared to pre-9/11? And IFE as well. So wouldn’t say it’s all worse now.
That’s true of course. But since 9/11 there’s been a steady decline in airlines’ mentality. Bit by bit everything has to be more ”efficient” and ”sustainable”. And we are craving for it, they say.
miamiflyer8 likes this.
Old Oct 14, 2023, 12:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
I'd say the good times were when the world was simple. Fly x miles in Y, get x miles, in C 2x miles. No worries about booking classes, partner earning, operating vs marketing airline, etc.

Now (or pre-covid) you can even sit on an AY flight without earning anything, e.g. the infamous HEL-PEK route with HU code on AY metal...
Old Oct 14, 2023, 3:27 pm

Programs: AY Plat (OWE)
Originally Posted by WilcoRoger
I'd say the good times were when the world was simple. Fly x miles in Y, get x miles, in C 2x miles. No worries about booking classes, partner earning, operating vs marketing airline, etc.

Now (or pre-covid) you can even sit on an AY flight without earning anything, e.g. the infamous HEL-PEK route with HU code on AY metal...
Agree… (But it was a codeshare with CA, wasn’t it?)
Old Oct 14, 2023, 9:59 pm

Programs: Onko teillä S-etukorttia?
What year was soup enhanced away? When one tray service started (i think this was after covid or was it even pre)?

Aika kultaa muistot.
Old Oct 15, 2023, 12:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
Originally Posted by LoungeEnthusiast
Agree… (But it was a codeshare with CA, wasn’t it?)
Could have very well been CA - wrote from memory.
Old Oct 15, 2023, 5:08 am

Sometimes the changes feel bad even though they turn out to be ok.
I felt sad when the convertible SH business class seats were gone (3-3
—> 2 - 3 wider seats). Although I always chose the 2 seat side I don’t think anyone would like to sit in the middle seat even though it would be wider. But at that time the seat pitch was better in front sligthly compromised by the thicker seats.So my choice would be current free middle seat but slightly better pitch.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.