Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Finnair | Finnair Plus
Reload this Page >

AA awards available for Finnair flights, but not Finnair

AA awards available for Finnair flights, but not Finnair

Old Sep 4, 2023, 5:14 pm

Programs: BA Gold, OZ Diamond, LH Silver
Originally Posted by ranskis
Finnair is doing point of sale discrimination. it should be possible to buy these awards with AY points by calling finnair plus USA, as long as finnair plus USA uses a US point of sale, and not a central one in HEL.
Wow, I never realized AY does that with awards. But it's true, there seems to be more U availability when searching for example HEL-HND on Expertflyer with US point of sale compared to European point of sales.

But at the same time I can't find that availability even on Finnair's US website. I wonder if the availablity really is there if calling US office?
Venezuela-Miami and aquanine like this.
Old Sep 5, 2023, 1:40 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by kauppias
seems to go all the way in J, usually phantom availability errors out before the payment screen doesnt it...
Thanks for checking!

This just seems to get weirder and weirder :P
kauppias likes this.
Old Sep 5, 2023, 10:04 am

Programs: AY+ Platsku, CM Silver, Frontier Elite 100K, Marriott Gold and LT Silver, IHG Diamond Ambassador.
Originally Posted by kauppias
seems to go all the way in J, usually phantom availability errors out before the payment screen doesnt it...
I also have enough AAdvantage points to make the test, and it went all the way too, 150K points for RT in AY J for the dates mentioned..

I didn't issue the ticket, but IME (which aligns with yours) if it was phantom availability it would have errored out before the last steps.
intuition likes this.
Old Sep 5, 2023, 12:28 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Venezuela-Miami
I also have enough AAdvantage points to make the test, and it went all the way too, 150K points for RT in AY J for the dates mentioned..

I didn't issue the ticket, but IME (which aligns with yours) if it was phantom availability it would have errored out before the last steps.
Thanks a lot for checking! I feel this is just plain wrong to have availability for AA on AY-flights, but no availability for AY's own customers :/
Venezuela-Miami likes this.
Old Sep 5, 2023, 12:52 pm

Programs: AY+ Platsku, CM Silver, Frontier Elite 100K, Marriott Gold and LT Silver, IHG Diamond Ambassador.
Originally Posted by Pako Arjesta
Thanks a lot for checking! I feel this is just plain wrong to have availability for AA on AY-flights, but no availability for AY's own customers :/
You are very welcome!

And yes it's really weird, just as i'm currently struggling to pull the trigger with the current promo for 100% bonus on AY points, this makes me think twice.
Old Sep 5, 2023, 6:11 pm

Opposite Issue for me

My issue is the opposite--award space showing on BA and Alaska but not on AA. Called customer service but they were useless... So frustrating since AA has the best redemption value!!
Old Sep 9, 2023, 7:59 pm

Programs: American Airlines (Executive Platinum), Hyatt (Globalist), Hilton (Diamond), IHG (Diamond)
Opposite for me, too. Looking at anywhere in U.S. to HEL in J in October and nothing. I know it's last-minute, but booking AY J via AA used to be relatively easy. Did AY reduce U.S. flights and/or award seats this year?
Old Sep 10, 2023, 2:39 am

Programs: AF/KL FB Plat ; A3 Gold ; HH Gold ; IHG Plat Amb
Have you checked there was availability on finnair.com for that award flight? if there is no availability via AA and via AY, it means it is just pretty consistent.
Old Sep 10, 2023, 2:49 am

Programs: AY+, SK EB
The first availability on finnair.com seems to be JFK - HEL on the last day of November.
js1993 likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.