Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Finnair | Finnair Plus
Reload this Page >

Finnair introduces Superlight ticket with small bag only

Finnair introduces Superlight ticket with small bag only

Old May 16, 2023, 1:38 am
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: HEL
Programs: AY+
Posts: 40
Finnair introduces Superlight ticket with small bag only

At the same time as there are changes to the AY Plus, they are replacing Light tickets in Europe with Superlight, which only include one small bag onboard (40x30x15 cm) and larger carry-ons are to be purchased separately.
Free seat selection at check-in is gone also for Economy Classic tickets. Bag policy is also more strict for Business class.

https://www.finnair.com/en/bluewings...wances-2973640
juanfc is offline  
Old May 16, 2023, 3:34 am
  #2  
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: VIE
Programs: SAS EBS / *A Silver, Hilton Diamond, Radisson VIP, IHG Platinum
Posts: 3,729
The problem I have with these policies is that they make boarding process even more miserable for everyone, including people who did buy a more expensive fare.

The list of airlines I'm not trying to avoid is getting shorter and shorter by year. LO and KL are basically the last two decent airlines in Europe (AF too but CDG is my definition of hell).
the810 is online now  
Old May 16, 2023, 4:36 am
  #3  
Moderator, Finnair
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: MMX (CPH)
Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
Posts: 14,163
Just like anticipated, a new ticket type with less carry-on. I didn't see any statement on how they will enforce this, I still assume this ticket type will be placed in a boarding group that board last.

Their aim is not at all to make boarding better for anyone, the only goal is to monetize bags.
intuition is offline  
Old May 16, 2023, 5:03 am
  #4  
Hilton Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Switzerland / Estonia
Programs: AY+ Platinum, BAEC Silver, airbaltic VIP, HH Diamond, Radisson VIP, IHG Diamond Elite
Posts: 6,524
Originally Posted by intuition
Their aim is not at all to make boarding better for anyone, the only goal is to monetize bags.
Exactly this.
florens is online now  
Old May 16, 2023, 5:13 am
  #5  
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Programs: AY+, SK EB
Posts: 2,951
Originally Posted by juanfc
Free seat selection at check-in is gone also for Economy Classic tickets.
Is this way harsher than at other airlines? For light not so uncommon, but for a ticket with „benefits“.
Jainzar is online now  
Old May 16, 2023, 5:21 am
  #6  
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Helsinki
Programs: AY Platinum, IHG Gold, Diners
Posts: 1,275
I hope they use common sense. If I am ok to put my backpack under the seat in front of me, despite it being perhaps larger than the measurements, then I'm ok with this. The amount of stuff some people bring as carry-on is astonishing.
niksal is offline  
Old May 16, 2023, 8:28 am
  #7  
 
Join Date: Aug 2020
Programs: BAEC Gold / *A Gold / HH Gold
Posts: 19
Size 48 Feet

Its not often I take 2 carry ons onboard for a specific reason. 1 backpack is sufficient for me and I always insist on putting it in the overhead. Even though I might purchase a superlight ticket in the future, at 189cm tall and size 48 feet i would expect Finnair to accommodate me reasonably comfortable during my flight and not expect me to forfeit my feet space for luggage storage!
northenlights is offline  
Old May 16, 2023, 11:06 am
  #8  
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 23
Are you sure seat selection in business class is still complimentary? It says "Otherwise, a seat will be assigned automatically to those travelling on Superlight, Light and Classic tickets", but there are also Business Light and Classic tickets... Also, no mentioning of OW Emeralds, just "Seat selection is complimentary for our Finnair Plus Platinum and Platinum Lumo members".
Henmar is offline  
Old May 16, 2023, 11:35 am
  #9  
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: HEL
Programs: AY Platinum, TK Elite, BT VIP, AA, BA, SK, DL, NT, WB + hotels
Posts: 8,731
Is seat selection not complimentary for Golds in J?
ffay005 is online now  
Old May 16, 2023, 11:12 pm
  #10  
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: HEL
Programs: AY Plat (OWE), SK EBG (*A Gold), KQ Plat (STE+), Accor Plat
Posts: 3,156
Does exit row seat reservation come with a free overhead bag?
lkrt is online now  
Old May 17, 2023, 12:10 am
  #11  
 
Join Date: Aug 2022
Location: Hel
Programs: AY Plat
Posts: 259
Originally Posted by ffay005
Is seat selection not complimentary for Golds in J?
Looking at this, the rules can be summarized as:
  • Platinum and Platinum Lumo members can select their seats for free, including Comfort and Extra Legroom seats.
  • Gold members can also select their seats for free, but this does not apply to Extra Legroom seats.
  • Silver members are offered a 50% discount on pre-selected seats. However, this discount does not apply to Comfort and Extra Legroom seats.
Clarity_ is offline  
Old May 17, 2023, 12:12 am
  #12  
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Programs: AY+, SK EB
Posts: 2,951
Originally Posted by lkrt
Does exit row seat reservation come with a free overhead bag?
overhead personal item

It is funny when they tag my small backpack as small cabin bag despite I sit in the exit row and you get an „this is what we are instructed to do“ answer.
lkrt and intuition like this.
Jainzar is online now  
Old May 17, 2023, 2:36 am
  #13  
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: VIE
Programs: SAS EBS / *A Silver, Hilton Diamond, Radisson VIP, IHG Platinum
Posts: 3,729
Originally Posted by Jainzar
Is this way harsher than at other airlines? For light not so uncommon, but for a ticket with benefits.
I don't know any airline that charges for seat selection at check-in when flying on a "regular" fare. Yes, it's sadly becoming common on light fares (LH, TP, TK), but doing it on classic fare is the new low.

Originally Posted by northenlights
Its not often I take 2 carry ons onboard for a specific reason. 1 backpack is sufficient for me and I always insist on putting it in the overhead. Even though I might purchase a superlight ticket in the future, at 189cm tall and size 48 feet i would expect Finnair to accommodate me reasonably comfortable during my flight and not expect me to forfeit my feet space for luggage storage!
This is the part I "love" the most about the carry-on madness. I always check my stuff in the hold (where it belongs) and only board with a small shoulder bag (half the size of a laptop bag, approximately). For that I'm rewarded by being asked to put my small bag under the seat in front of me and limit my legroom, so that the people who brought half of their wardrobe and a kitchen sink on board can use the overhead lockers.

I'm still only saying it as a joke, but the day will come when I'll start putting that small shoulder bag into a full sized carry-on in order to not be punished for a problem caused by someone else.
TTL, JackieTrent and northenlights like this.
the810 is online now  
Old May 17, 2023, 3:27 am
  #14  
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: between MUC and NUE
Programs: BA Gold, LH Senator
Posts: 421
Originally Posted by Clarity_
Looking at this, the rules can be summarized as:
  • Platinum and Platinum Lumo members can select their seats for free, including Comfort and Extra Legroom seats.
  • Gold members can also select their seats for free, but this does not apply to Extra Legroom seats.
  • Silver members are offered a 50% discount on pre-selected seats. However, this discount does not apply to Comfort and Extra Legroom seats.
Do we know if this accordingly applies to non-AY oneworld elites?
Flip42 is offline  
Old May 17, 2023, 3:39 am
  #15  
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: HEL
Programs: AY Platinum, TK Elite, BT VIP, AA, BA, SK, DL, NT, WB + hotels
Posts: 8,731
Originally Posted by Flip42
Do we know if this accordingly applies to non-AY oneworld elites?
No info about that, unfortunately.
ffay005 is online now  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.