Finnair Points Calculator

Old Jan 24, 2023, 10:43 am
Original Poster

Programs: AY Plat
Finnair Points Calculator

Got a bit tired of manually calculating the points from the Finnair flights, so decided to build a points calculator. Only works for AY marketed and operated flights and AY+ program. There's no check for valid routes, so even though the flight DFW - JFK will show the points, those are obviously incorrect as AY doesn't fly the route. Might add some validation/warning in the future.

The main issue with the other OW airlines/programs is lack of data. If anyone knows how to calculate those points, let me know and I'll try to incorporate that logic. Also added a page where you can calculate how many flights are needed to reach a specific tier. If there's any issues, let me know. Here's the URL for the calculator: https://finnair-pc.vercel.app/
Old Jan 24, 2023, 11:36 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AY+ Platinum, BAEC Silver, airbaltic VIP, HH Diamond, Radisson VIP, IHG Diamond Elite
FinnairPlus You guys need to hire Clarity_ ...

No idea regarding OW flights, but I guess you need to pull the km distances from http://www.gcmap.com/ for any given city pairs and then add the earning percentage according to class/ticket and add the tier bonuses.
Old Jan 24, 2023, 11:42 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by florens
No thanks, I'm good

No idea regarding OW flights, but I guess you need to pull the km distances from Great Circle Mapper for any given city pairs and then add the earning percentage according to class/ticket and add the tier bonuses.
Hmm, need to check if they have an API. Even if the points calculated wouldn't be 100% correct, it'd be a good start.
Old Jan 24, 2023, 11:44 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AY+ Platinum, BAEC Silver, airbaltic VIP, HH Diamond, Radisson VIP, IHG Diamond Elite
Also I wanted to add I like how this calculator puts things into perspective.

Only 10'000 Nordic YLight flights for Lifetime Platinum.
ffay005, Trav1970 and Clarity_ like this.
Old Jan 24, 2023, 12:50 pm

Originally Posted by Clarity_
No thanks, I'm good

Hmm, need to check if they have an API. Even if the points calculated wouldn't be 100% correct, it'd be a good start.
Cool idea

You don't need an API for this, you can google haversine formula for calculating the great circle distance between two coordinates. Then combine it with something like this (first result on a quick google, not sure if the data is reliable) and you can get all the great circle distances between any two points.
Clarity_ likes this.
Old Jan 26, 2023, 1:39 pm
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
Originally Posted by florens
Oh, Finnair doesn't work like that.
They will simply link from finnair.com to his site and pretend is is their own paid for resource...
Old Jan 29, 2023, 6:20 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Great job with the Calculator! Nice to have an easy way to finally check point earnings. Out of curiosity did check OWE requirements both of AYplus vs. BAEC and found out that on AYplus you need more than double the flights compared to BAEC if flying constantly HEL-LHR. Is this correct or is there something wrong with the background data or calculator. Also noticed AYplus drastically dropped earnings on BA flights in July 22, meanwhile BAEC did exactly the opposite. Do they know at all what they are doing at AYplus…
Old Jan 29, 2023, 7:01 am

Originally Posted by timma1971
Also noticed AYplus drastically dropped earnings on BA flights in July 22, meanwhile BAEC did exactly the opposite.
Actually they didn´t - Quite the contrary, on flights from 1st of June 2022 onwards.
Old Jan 29, 2023, 7:20 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Great job with the Calculator! Nice to have an easy way to finally check point earnings. Out of curiosity did check OWE requirements both of AYplus vs. BAEC and found out that on AYplus you need more than double the flights compared to BAEC if flying constantly HEL-LHR. Is this correct or is there something wrong with the background data or calculator. Also noticed AYplus drastically dropped earnings on BA flights in July 22, meanwhile BAEC did exactly the opposite. Do they know at all what they are doing at AYplus…
LHR-HEL is SH+ and earns more tier points with BAEC - AY+ does not make the difference between HEL-LHR vs. any other European destination (except Nordic band).
Old Jan 29, 2023, 7:53 am
Original Poster

Not sure what you mean, did you use the calculator to check the BAEC points? Currently it only works for AY+ program for AY operated and marketed flights as I don't really know how BA (or any other OW airlines except AY) calculates points from other OW programs for its frequent flyers.
Old Jan 29, 2023, 8:16 am

Programs: AY+, SK EB
Out of curiosity did check OWE requirements both of AYplus vs. BAEC and found out that on AYplus you need more than double the flights compared to BAEC if flying constantly HEL-LHR.
If my calculation is correct you need between 38 and 150 segments* with BAEC and 40 to 120 segments** with AY+ to renew an OWE in Y.

*at least 4 BA-coded
**all AY-coded
Old Jan 29, 2023, 8:54 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by Jainzar
If my calculation is correct you need between 38 and 150 segments* with BAEC and 40 to 120 segments** with AY+ to renew an OWE in Y.

*at least 4 BA-coded
**all AY-coded
Sorry, should have been more specific. Was checking purely HEL - LHR in business. On BAEC you get 80 tier points per segment, 1500 required for Gold/OWE. That makes less than 10 rt flighs to LHR in business. Far less then on AYplus. Of course you need those four BA flights.
Old Jan 29, 2023, 9:28 am

Programs: AY+, SK EB
Sorry, should have been more specific. Was checking purely HEL - LHR in business. On BAEC you get 80 tier points per segment, 1500 required for Gold/OWE. That makes less than 10 rt flighs to LHR in business. Far less then on AYplus. Of course you need those four BA flights.
It is 19 segments vs 24 to 38 segments.
Old Jan 29, 2023, 1:43 pm

This is AMAZING! Why doesn't Finnair have something like this on their own website!

Please keep this service up and don't give up.
intuition and Clarity_ like this.
Old Jan 29, 2023, 11:47 pm
Original Poster

Ah ok, now I got it. Yeah, with AY you'll need minimum 24 SH segments to reach plat, so 12 return flights. That is if you're platinum and flying business flex.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.