Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Finnair | Finnair Plus
Reload this Page >

Finnair Long Haul Economy Class Food

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 17, 2023, 2:20 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AY+ Platinum / FlyingBlue Gold

Created a new thread for Long Haul Economy Class Food since we don't have one yet, along with an update! Links to each individual threads below:

Economy
Short haul: Finnair Shorthaul Economy Class Food
Long haul: Finnair Long Haul Economy Class Food (this thread!)

Business
Short haul: Finnair Shorthaul Business Class Food
Long haul: Finnair Long Haul Business Class Food

Update
Finnair will now be serving their economy class food in new cardboard packaging:
https://fredmangroup.com/finnairin-e...artonkivuoista

FFlash and Venezuela-Miami like this.
Old Jan 17, 2023, 2:41 pm

I wish those were actual economy class meals!
Old Jan 17, 2023, 2:46 pm

Programs: AY Platinum, TK Elite, BT VIP, AA, BA, SK, DL, NT, WB + hotels
If those meals will use Finnish cardboard packaging instead of German deep-frozen aluminum, would this mean that the meals are actually prepared in Finland, perhaps by AY Kitchen? Could this mean improvements, or...?
Old Jan 17, 2023, 3:06 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Plip
I wish those were actual economy class meals!
Hah, the portion seems very small though

Last edited by EuroFlash; Jan 18, 2023 at 1:35 am
Old Jan 18, 2023, 1:21 am

Programs: AY+ Plat / OWE, SQ KrisFlyer, KQ Plat / ST Elite Plus, BT VIP
Originally Posted by ffay005
If those meals will use Finnish cardboard packaging instead of German deep-frozen aluminum, would this mean that the meals are actually prepared in Finland, perhaps by AY Kitchen? Could this mean improvements, or...?
Probably, if by improvements you mean halved portion sizes because less weight = more sustainable?
Helsinki Flyer likes this.
Old Jan 19, 2023, 2:44 am

Programs: AFKL PLT, BA Gold, SK Gold, AY Gold, A3 Silver, LH FTL, IHG Gold, Marriott Silver
AY131
Premium Economy

Dinner, carrot hummus, rainbow trout, chocolate cake

Lunch, gnocchi with spinach and tomato sauce

Premium Economy was a mixed bag . Best part of the experience was definitely the seat, 21AC which offered plenty of space. Marimekko amenity kit was the same as in J as were the Phitek headset. When the dinner tray’s arrived, my fish was literally ice cold. I notified the crew and got a new one. Pre-arrival meal presentation was very unpremium. Service was kind of ok, felt little bit rushed though. All in all, pretty ok value for the amount of points used.
Old Jan 19, 2023, 1:00 pm

Programs: AY+, SK EB
HEL - JFK in October

The meal was ok, I expected worse. As starter it included a potato salad, the main was chicken with cauliflower and a broccoli rice and seed mix. The meal was completed by a chocolate bar. The bottle of wine was complimentary, G&T was served as complimentary Plat drink.

The hot snack before the landing was less of my taste.

SPBanker likes this.

Last edited by Jainzar; Jan 20, 2023 at 4:58 am Reason: Added details
Old Jan 19, 2023, 2:17 pm

Programs: AY Platinum, TK Elite, BT VIP, AA, BA, SK, DL, NT, WB + hotels
Would you (be able to) describe what this meal included? Especially the starter / cardboard box in the main meal service.
Old Jan 20, 2023, 4:59 am

Originally Posted by ffay005
Would you (be able to) describe what this meal included? Especially the starter / cardboard box in the main meal service.
Done. I included it in my post above.
LCSinTexas and ffay005 like this.
Old Jan 20, 2023, 5:51 am

Programs: AY, Accor, Hilton - Gold
Originally Posted by Jainzar
HEL - JFK in October

The meal was ok, I expected worse. As starter it included a potato salad, the main was chicken with cauliflower and a broccoli rice and seed mix. The meal was completed by a chocolate bar. The bottle of wine was complimentary, G&T was served as complimentary Plat drink.

The hot snack before the landing was less of my taste.

I had the exact meal on my way to bangkok in september and I was surprised how good it tasted. The potatosalad was great and I really liked the sauce of the chicken. The chicken itself was only okay tho. The chocolate bar was also tasty.
Old Jan 22, 2023, 5:56 am

Programs: AY Platinum, IHG Diamond
Suffeli is suffeli <3
Compliment likes this.
Old Apr 8, 2023, 4:09 am

Programs: SAS Eurobonus Gold Card
I flew my first Finnair long haul yesterday JFK-HEL and have a HEL-DFW coming up next month. In Economy there was no choice of meal. Is this always the case? Is it better to order a special meal?

Second I'll return in Premium Economy DFW-HEL. Is there a choice in Premium? I don't eat fish so wouldn't want to go hungry on a 10 hour flight

Thanks in advance.
Old Apr 8, 2023, 4:17 am

Originally Posted by citiflyerUK
I flew my first Finnair long haul yesterday JFK-HEL and have a HEL-DFW coming up next month. In Economy there was no choice of meal. Is this always the case? Is it better to order a special meal?

Second I'll return in Premium Economy DFW-HEL. Is there a choice in Premium? I don't eat fish so wouldn't want to go hungry on a 10 hour flight

Thanks in advance.
There is no choice in Economy but in Premium Economy. They might run out of an option if you sit in the back of PE.
Old Apr 8, 2023, 12:18 pm

Programs: Costco Executive, RaceTrac Sultan of Soda, Chick-fil-A Red
Originally Posted by citiflyerUK
In Economy there was no choice of meal. Is this always the case? Is it better to order a special meal?
It is good to know (AY’s exact words) that there is only one choice to reduce food waste.

I also recommend you pack enough granola bars so you don’t go hungry. They don’t take up much space or require cold storage.
Steve_Hun likes this.
Old Apr 9, 2023, 4:03 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by miamiflyer8
It is good to know (AY’s exact words) that there is only one choice to reduce food waste.

I also recommend you pack enough granola bars so you don’t go hungry. They don’t take up much space or require cold storage.
I have understood granola bars are also very easily taken through security
r2d2, miamiflyer8 and Steve_Hun like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.