Wiki Posts
Search

The Singapore (SIN) Thread

Search this Thread

Old Sep 19, 2022, 3:01 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AY Platinum, TK Elite, BT VIP, AA, BA, SK, DL, NT, WB + hotels
The Singapore (SIN) Thread

We have threads about BKK and LHR, and a third one that pops up quite often is SIN. So here we go, dedicated thread for all things SIN.

Quick Q&A:

When do the AY check-in desks open?

Officially, 3 hours before the flight. There is also something called "early check-in" where they open one desk earlier. However, this depends on availability of staff. They cannot tell in advance whether early check-in is available on a particular day or not, nor can one call to ask.

Is Jewel early check-in available for AY pax?

Yes, from 12 pm to 6:30 pm.

Can I access airside before check-in opens?

No. You need a printed BP with a stamp.

I am already airside but I don’t have a BP. Can I access the lounge?

QF has been known to let you in with a ticket and (digital) AY+ card showing your status.

I am already airside and need a BP.

Go to the transfer desk.

Which lounge at SIN is the best?

The QR Premium lounge allows access to AY J customers. It does not matter whether you have a J Light ticket. It is probably the best lounge. (Access with award tickets is okay, access with upgraded tickets is okay. Never mind the "revenue" wording on the OW website. Award tickets are revenue tickets in this context.)

The QF F lounge allows access to AY Plat and OWE customers regardless of travel class.

QF J and BA lounges allow access to AY Plat and Gold as well as OWE and OWS.

Will my upgrade clear?

Probably not. SIN might just be the most difficult route for upgrades. There is lots of J demand. We’ve had Plats (and Lumos?) whose upgrades have not cleared. On this route, if you need to sit in J, you will most likely need to pay for a J ticket.

Last edited by ffay005; Sep 13, 2023 at 8:41 am
Old Sep 19, 2022, 3:24 pm
Ambassador: Finnair

Programs: AY Lumo, BA Silver, HHonors Gold
Great initiative, thanks👍
ffay005 likes this.
Old Sep 20, 2022, 3:23 am
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
Thanks

Going to SIN in november, unless they cancel it or some other disaster strikes. It would be my first AY longhaul since NKG inaugural in 2018.
ffay005 and SPBanker like this.
Old Sep 20, 2022, 3:33 am
Suspended

Q: Why isn't my Singapore / BKK upgrade clearing?
A: Because everyone on this forum is using those upgrades and because of Finnair's stupid upgrade policy which regularly leaves J seats empty
renila, ffay005, florens and 3 others like this.
Old Sep 20, 2022, 3:55 am

Programs: AY+, SK EB
Originally Posted by ffay005
When do the AY check-in desks open?

4 hours before the flight (?)
For me it was around 3,5 hours before the flight. Y desks started first, priority shortly after.
Old Sep 20, 2022, 4:07 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Jainzar
For me it was around 3,5 hours before the flight. Y desks started first, priority shortly after.
It seems like one or two desks get manned at some point around 4 hours before the flight with no guarantees, hence it can be 3.5 hours. I finished my run and got to the desk about 3h45 before departure and was among the first pax to be checking in at one desk. Straight to the QF lounge for a shower after (though I realized had I taken a towel I could have taken one just outside the airport at the end of the jogging track as well).
Jainzar likes this.
Old Sep 20, 2022, 4:25 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Jainzar
Thanks, I will update this tonight when I get back to my laptop.

Originally Posted by mpkz
Q: Why isn't my Singapore / BKK upgrade clearing?
A: Because everyone on this forum is using those upgrades and because of Finnair's stupid upgrade policy which regularly leaves J seats empty
I will add this, too, but perhaps a bit rephrased. SIN must be one of the most difficult routes to get upgraded.

Last edited by NewbieRunner; Oct 4, 2022 at 12:33 pm Reason: Please use multi-quote function
Old Sep 20, 2022, 5:31 am

Programs: AY+ Platinum, IHG Diamond, Marriott Rewards Gold
Great thread, flying to SIN in 36 hours and ofc the upgrade didn't clear so stuck with PE. Excited to try the product though...
ffay005 and SPBanker like this.
Old Sep 20, 2022, 4:04 pm

Programs: QF WP LTG, HHonors Diamond, NZ Gold
I have a 4,5hrs transit at SIN on Sunday - will report back on my view of the QR v QF F lounge ranking ...

Regards,

BD
ffay005 and seldomrfly like this.
Old Sep 20, 2022, 6:32 pm

Can I access airside before the check-in desks open?

No. You need a printed BP with a stamp, and there is no early check-in at the Jewel for AY.
So boarding pass from online or app checkin doesn't work (provided one has no checked luggage)?

Originally Posted by BD1959
I have a 4,5hrs transit at SIN on Sunday - will report back on my view of the QR v QF F lounge ranking ...
Incidentally I posted a bunch of meal photos from recent visits... in truth you won't go wrong with either, why not both!

​​​​​​QF F: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/34616882-post36.html

QR: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/34616863-post42.html

Last edited by NewbieRunner; Oct 4, 2022 at 12:34 pm Reason: Merged consecutive posts by same member
Old Sep 20, 2022, 11:37 pm

Programs: AY+ Platinum, IHG Diamond, Marriott Rewards Gold
Damn QR food looks a lot better than QF F. Now just have to hope upgrades on SIN-HEL clear and QR will let us in. With cleared upgrade the BP should read as Business Classic.
ffay005 likes this.
Old Sep 21, 2022, 12:59 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by carrotjuice
So boarding pass from online or app checkin doesn't work (provided one has no checked luggage)?
Airport staff don't let you airside unless your BP has a stamp that you get at the check-in desk. Or at least it was this way during covid. I don't think the system even allows you to get a BP via OLCI.
Old Sep 21, 2022, 2:47 am

Programs: Finnair (AY) Platinum, Air France Silver, Tallink Club One Silver :)
Airport staff don't let you airside unless your BP has a stamp that you get at the check-in desk. Or at least it was this way during covid. I don't think the system even allows you to get a BP via OLCI.
On Monday evening there was no stamping of boarding pass whatsoever, right before the immigration counter, a security guy checks your boarding pass and ŕ la TSA in the US checks that your BP matched your passport and that your flight is on that day. But mobile boarding pass is not issued for AY flights ex-SIN.

Officially check-in opens 3 hours prior to departure, but early check-in is available at the AY counter for (I guess) an hour before that. (Here I'm only guessing as I got to the check-in desk at 18:15 and early check-in was open already) Early check-in means only one of the four counters open and no priority queue. Official check-in opened about 10 minutes ahead of schedule, so I jumped out of the early check-in queue (as there were still a few pax ahead of me) and became the first one in the priority line.

As per the picture below, early check-in closed from 18:30, thus officially there is no check-in for about 20 minutes. In reality this meant about 10 minutes of break (early check-in closed later, official one opened earlier).

r2d2 and mpkz like this.
Old Sep 21, 2022, 2:54 am
Original Poster

What a strange concept! I'll have to ask them about this and the exact hours when I fly home from SIN next month.
Steve_Hun likes this.
Old Sep 21, 2022, 3:09 am

So they open 4 hours before for early checkin. Then close after half hour later with a 10-20 minute gap with no checkin processed. Then reopen after the break. Strange indeed.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.