Wiki Posts
Search

HEL-RVN Day Trip?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 16, 2022, 6:07 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP 1MM, UA Silver, HHDmd, MBvLTPLT, PCAmb/Dmd, HYT Dis
HEL-RVN Day Trip?

Will be in Helsinki for a week in December and interested in visiting Rovaniemi. But not sure I have more than a day of stuff I want to do there, and even if I did the most interesting places to stay are either sold out or requiring multi-day stays. Thinking it might be easier to just do it as a day trip from Helsinki and save the time packing/unpacking (which is not a trivial activity with my family).

AY's first flight of the day is 7:20 AM arriving RVN at 8:50 AM; the last flight back is 9:50 PM arriving back in HEL at 11:10 PM. Seems like enough time for what I want to do -- even if the arrival is slightly delayed.

First question - thoughts on doing RVN as a day trip? Is AY's schedule is reliable enough to make it there and back?

Second question - does the price for this route in December move that much? I think it has gone up about 20 euros since I started watching it - but most airfares have increased lately. Since it is just a day trip we can book Economy Light which will save 30 euros x 4 people each way. But that is a non-changeable ticket so I would want to book it as close to our travel date as possible. Will I regret waiting another couple months before booking?
Old Aug 17, 2022, 12:17 am

Programs: AY+, SK EB
Originally Posted by dbuckho
Second question - does the price for this route in December move that much? I think it has gone up about 20 euros since I started watching it - but most airfares have increased lately. Since it is just a day trip we can book Economy Light which will save 30 euros x 4 people each way. But that is a non-changeable ticket so I would want to book it as close to our travel date as possible. Will I regret waiting another couple months before booking?
With your constraints I doubt that waiting very long with the booking will give you a low price.

But we cannot judge and weigh your preferences, i.e. price and flexibility.
Old Aug 17, 2022, 12:43 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AY+ Platinum, SK Gold, BAEC Silver, airbaltic VIP, Radisson VIP
Maybe something to think about as well are the short days (daylight). It will be dark/twilight for most of the time.
becks1 likes this.
Old Aug 17, 2022, 2:47 am

Programs: HappinesSMiles Silver
Day trip to RVN is totally feasible. However you'll miss out on all the stuff Lapland has to offer. Apart from the Santa Claus village and Santa Park. They're cool destinations for kids and those who have never experienced snow before. (However in December snow cannot be guaranteed 100%.)
lkrt and florens like this.
Old Aug 17, 2022, 4:20 am
Ambassador: Finnair

Programs: AY Lumo, BA Silver, HHonors Gold
If you have a week I’d rather spend 4-5 days in Lapland and maybe 2-3 days in Helsinki, in December, Helsinki is an extremely dull and miserable place that time of the year.

Just my two cents (and my home city too..)
Old Aug 17, 2022, 4:49 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
In mid-December in Rovaniemi the sun rises at 10.45 and sets at 13.30. This is not necessarily a bad thing - I love these northern latitudes in mid-winter - but is something to bear in mind for a day trip.
florens and Helsinki Flyer like this.
Old Aug 17, 2022, 6:27 am

Programs: AY, SK, TK
Originally Posted by NoWindowSeat
If you have a week I’d rather spend 4-5 days in Lapland and maybe 2-3 days in Helsinki, in December, Helsinki is an extremely dull and miserable place that time of the year.

Just my two cents (and my home city too..)
Haha, me too, just funny a Helsinki citizen says that😃
NoWindowSeat likes this.
Old Aug 17, 2022, 6:43 am

Programs: AY LUMO
Whole Finland is miserable place between OCT and MAY.
Old Aug 17, 2022, 7:23 am
Suspended

Location: The part of NC where we have electricity, paved roads, and high school diplomas.
Programs: AA Platinum
While I wasn't around for the original discussion, I am surprised nobody has yet brought up the option to visit both RVN and BER...
Old Aug 17, 2022, 8:05 am

Programs: Finnair (AY) Platinum, Air France Silver, Tallink Club One Silver :)
Originally Posted by WindowSeatFlyer
While I wasn't around for the original discussion, I am surprised nobody has yet brought up the option to visit both RVN and BER...
That is too scary because of the biker gang members
Old Aug 17, 2022, 9:09 am

Programs: AY Plat Lumo
Originally Posted by WindowSeatFlyer
My first thought when seeing this thread was: "Oh no, not again."
Old Aug 17, 2022, 10:27 am

Programs: AY+Plat
Originally Posted by cistavoda
My first thought when seeing this thread was: "Oh no, not again."
Don't worry, I think they are trying to avoid AY forum. Last time it was in QR forum although it had nothing to do with QR
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/32162256-post4380.html
FFlash and Steve_Hun like this.
Old Aug 17, 2022, 11:30 am

Programs: UA 1P, Hyatt Diamond, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
Not to distract too much but is rental car readily available in Lapland area (e.g. RVN, KRN) ? Is driving around in Lapland during December challenging?
Old Aug 17, 2022, 11:59 am

Programs: AY Plat Lumo
Originally Posted by mediator
Not to distract too much
Sorry for sidetracking

is rental car readily available in Lapland area (e.g. RVN, KRN) ?
Yes. Pre-booking recommended of course.

​​​​​​​
Is driving around in Lapland during December challenging?
For locals no. Some even do it every day. ​​​​​​​ For someone who's never driven in snow.... Yes?
​​​​​​​
mediator likes this.
Old Aug 17, 2022, 12:00 pm
Suspended

Location: The part of NC where we have electricity, paved roads, and high school diplomas.
Programs: AA Platinum
Originally Posted by lento
Don't worry, I think they are trying to avoid AY forum. Last time it was in QR forum although it had nothing to do with QR
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/32162256-post4380.html
Oh, boy...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.