Finnair LHR-AKL in class R issue

Old Aug 10, 2022, 12:17 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver / HH Gold / Avis PC
Exclamation Finnair LHR-AKL in class R issue

Hi there, new here. I've been lurking for awhile and learning quite a bit! This place is extremely helpful.

I've been scouring the internet for some help in regards to my issue but I've not really been able to find anything that applies to my situation.

I purchased a one way ticket from LHR to AKL in class R (business) via a travel agent. The ticket was issued by Finnair.

Finnair operated fare class R for LHR - HEL
Finnair operated fare class R for HEL - HKG
Cathay operated fare class R for HKG - AKL

The problem that I'm facing is that the ticket states business class in R for the whole journey, however, when entering my booking ref into the Cathay site/app, it seems like I'm booked in Premium economy - I checked this by doing the seat selection and it showed the premium eco cabin. (apparently cathay R is premium eco)

I have reached out to Cathay about this, and they confirmed that I am indeed in premium, not business.

I then reached out to Finnair and they confirmed to me over email that I am class R, but for the Cathay segment, class P (business I assume).

I am unable to see anything to do with class P with Cathay, and only see the Premium seat selection on their site.

I would really appreciate any sort of help or advice here as I'm not quite sure what to do here. Do I contact Finnair again and ask for the confirmation that I am indeed in P for the Cathay segment of the flight?

Here is the fare construction if it's of any use: LON AY X/HEL AY X/HKG AY AKL 2793.39RNN0S9CZ NUC 2793.39 END ROE 0.831605 XT 185.00GB 22.07UB 4.10WL 0.80XU 19.00G3 5.80I5 19.90F1 9.20KK 10.10YQ

Also reached out to the travel agent and they said they'll get back to me. I'd rather get to the bottom of this myself and see where the issue is originating from though.

Thanks so much,
Cona
Old Aug 10, 2022, 12:48 pm
Ambassador: Finnair

Programs: AY Lumo, BA Silver, HHonors Gold
P = business
R = premium economy

What does your e-ticket say, that is what you have bought. Finnair.com often prices/sells such mixed cabin tickets on codeshares, you really need to be careful as OTAs might pick them too, when ticketing via AY..
Old Aug 10, 2022, 12:53 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by NoWindowSeat
P = business
R = premium economy

What does your e-ticket say, that is what you have bought. Finnair.com often prices/sells such mixed cabin tickets on codeshares, you really need to be careful as OTAs might pick them too, when ticketing vis AY..
Ticket states R for all flights on my journey. Strange thing is that Finnair confirmed over email that I am fare P with the cathay codeshare.

Is there a reason why Finnair would market the whole journey as business when it's actually not? Wouldn't that open up a can of worms for incorrect product/item purchased?
Old Aug 10, 2022, 12:57 pm

Originally Posted by Cona
Ticket states R for all flights on my journey. Strange thing is that Finnair confirmed over email that I am fare P with the cathay codeshare.

Is there a reason why Finnair would market the whole journey as business when it's actually not? Wouldn't that open up a can of worms for incorrect product/item purchased?
How did Finnair market this for you? Could you be more specific if you bought it via an OTA?

Finnair says you’re in P but ticket says R? I’d trust the ticket more, honestly. Who from Finnair replied to your email, curious to know as it can take months to get any replies from them even as Plat.
Old Aug 10, 2022, 12:58 pm
Original Poster

How did Finnair market this for you? Could you be more specific if you bought it via an OTA?

Finnair says you’re in P but ticket says R? I’d trust the ticket more, honestly. Who from Finnair replied to your email, curious to know as it can take months to get any replies from them even as Plat.
This was the response from the agent after chatting over the usual text chat:

Here is the reply from Finnair after querying them about the issue:

"Than you for your patience over the chat today.

I was able to get a confirmation the from our end you do appear as R class, but at in CX marked as P which is in business. You are booked in Business.

We remain at your disposal,
Kind regards,

Bozhidar
Finnair Customer Care"

Ticket was found via google flights, and booked via OTA.

Strangest part is that they actually think I'm in P.
Old Aug 10, 2022, 1:00 pm

Programs: AY LUMO
P = business
R = premium economy
Which airline?

AY:
P is Premium Economy
R is Business Class
Old Aug 10, 2022, 1:02 pm

As Finnair is the ticketing carrier please ask them/OTA for a new e-ticket where it states P for the CX segment.

As long as you are in R on the ticket you are in PE.
Old Aug 10, 2022, 1:03 pm

Originally Posted by OH-LGG
Which airline?

AY:
P is Premium Economy
R is Business Class
The question was about Cathay classes
Old Aug 10, 2022, 1:06 pm

Programs: AY LUMO
The question was about Cathay classes
Okay, misleading codes on AY forum.
Old Aug 10, 2022, 1:06 pm
Original Poster

As Finnair is the ticketing carrier please ask them/OTA for a new e-ticket where it states P for the CX segment.

As long as you are in R on the ticket you are in PE.
Does this happen often? I'm not quite sure what my 'rights' would be in a situation like this. I do wonder if they have to honour the full business itin.
Old Aug 10, 2022, 1:10 pm

Does this happen often? I'm not quite sure what my 'rights' would be in a situation like this. I do wonder if they have to honour the full business itin.
It’s impossible to say now, we would need to see
all original docs and OTA info etc.

Hope it’s only an IT glitch, as OH-LGG pointed on Finnair R = business and on Cathay it’s PE
Old Aug 10, 2022, 1:13 pm
Original Poster

I need one more post to provide pictures. I will post pictures in my next post. Hopefully it can give a little more clarity.
Old Aug 10, 2022, 1:21 pm

I need one more post to provide pictures. I will post pictures in my next post. Hopefully it can give a little more clarity.
Remember to delete all personal info/booking refs etc..I think you have a good case when AY as the ticketing carrier has confirmed to you in writing that you are in business all the way..up to them/OTA to sort out with Cathay..that’s what I’d say based on the available information now
ffay005 likes this.
Old Aug 10, 2022, 7:06 pm

Thanks for the pictures via PM, as you say the 5 posts per 24hrs must be limitation for new accounts.

https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...8639066651.png
e-ticket from Finnair. (emailed from manage booking page)
https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...7a6b28f39e.png
Finnair response about the fare class.
https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...06b1f2ca3e.png
Cathay e-ticket after chatting with them.
https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...1d01022f15.png
e-ticket from OTA
png

This is very strange indeed..AY says one thing, CX says something else..the CX amadeus e-ticket even states specifically that their operated leg is in PEY/Premium Economy. Please take it further with OTA/Finnair and refer to the written confirmation from AY. You don’t have any confirmation email with details from the OTA after purchase?

Without the AY customer service reply I’d be tempted to say you have booked a mixed cabin fare with OTA/AY, the full Amadeus e-ticket is the one I’d believe the most but as it contradicts what the ticketing carrier is saying you need a new e ticket, issued by the OTA/Finnair to correct the fare class for the CX operated leg.

Last edited by NoWindowSeat; Aug 10, 2022 at 7:35 pm
Old Aug 10, 2022, 7:59 pm

Programs: AY Platinum, TK Elite, BT VIP, AA, BA, SK, DL, NT, WB + hotels
This is certainly interesting. AY is known to sell "J" tickets where the connecting flight is in Y, but it is not the case here. AY is selling CX metal but AY flight number, and in that case, the booking code is decided by AY, and R is business class. Somehow this doesn't carry over in the right way to the CX system, which interprets this according to its own booking classes and seats OP in PE, which is clearly wrong.

I have no tips, but it seems that this is one of the more unusual codeshare problems (of which there are so many), and as is customary, neither airline takes responsibility. However ,the CX e-ticket clearly states "Business", so OP should be able to argue at HEL and again at HKG. Whether it will help is anybody's guess.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.