Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Finnair | Finnair Plus
Reload this Page >

How can a Business "Light" fare be higher priced than a full Business fare?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 5, 2022, 3:18 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold

Who Will book a light ticket ?
ffay005 and Abducted Alien like this.
Old Aug 5, 2022, 3:53 am

A masochist. Oh hang on - that's the answer to the question "who will book a Finnair ticket?"
Old Aug 5, 2022, 4:32 am
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
Finnair pricing is currently rather wacky. I've seen many similar anomalies, with flex tickets cheaper than light.
However, that price says nothing about your total price. If you choose that "cheap" classic on the outbound, the return gets repriced and you may end up with only very expensive choices.

Treat all pricing info as fake until you you've priced out the entire journey
Old Aug 5, 2022, 4:48 am

Programs: AF Platinum/AY LUMO/SK EBG/baEC S/HYATT Globalist/MR LTP/A3 *G/HH Dia/IHG plat
Who would book light or classic at those prices? I lOVE Thailand, but not flying at those prices 😁😁😁
intuition likes this.
Old Aug 5, 2022, 8:38 am
Suspended

FWIW, on a multi city route on ANA the initial "as low as fare" displayed was $6400, in the lowest, most restricted business fare class of course.

Proceed to the point in the process where you can choose from more flexible types of fares, and a much less restricted fare was $3800!
Old Aug 5, 2022, 1:03 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hyatt Globalist, MLife/Cosmo Identity Gold, Other Vegas too...
The short answer is fare buckets. Enough people bought the light to make it more "rare" than full and hence, more expensive. Stupid and against common sense but fortunately AI isn't sentient... yet
Old Aug 5, 2022, 7:26 pm

Originally Posted by Carolina2Cali
Stupid and against common sense but fortunately AI isn't sentient... yet
Unfortunately, most HI doesn't seem sentient either.
Old Aug 5, 2022, 10:33 pm

Programs: Onko teillä S-etukorttia?
Originally Posted by Carolina2Cali
The short answer is fare buckets. Enough people bought the light to make it more "rare" than full and hence, more expensive. Stupid and against common sense but fortunately AI isn't sentient... yet
Actually AY books light/classic/full into same fare buckets. You can have all in R/I/C/D/J depending the lowest available at time of booking.
intuition likes this.
Old Aug 6, 2022, 1:04 am

Programs: AY+, SK EB
Originally Posted by Jorma
Actually AY books light/classic/full into same fare buckets. You can have all in R/I/C/D/J depending the lowest available at time of booking.
I don‘t know why, but for ARN - JFK/LAX AY seems to sell Light only in the lowest J booking class, i.e. „I“.

Seems like even AY can have second thoughts.
Old Aug 9, 2022, 6:24 am

Currently (18.8-19.8) the Business light fare for Trondheim 508,01 €, Business Classic 215,01, Business flex 256,01 for the outbound leg. The outbound Flights operated by Widerœ for Finnair.
Aviating and Abducted Alien like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.