Wiki Posts
Search

Refund time

Search this Thread

Old Jul 16, 2022, 6:10 am
Original Poster

Programs: Virtuoso Luxury Travel Agent; Bonvoy Titanium Elite; Hilton Diamond
Refund time

I need to tentatively make a placeholder booking on AY. If I book a Business Flex; can I cancel directly on the website? If yes; how long does a refund typically take? This is for 5 people in C so almost 30k EUR that I would not want to have to wait a long time to get back.
Old Jul 16, 2022, 6:50 am

Programs: AY+, SK EB
Yes, you can now cancel your booking when you manage your booking on the website.

My latest refund times were around one week, despite around one month mentioned in the mails I received. No idea if status affects these times.

Nevertheless I would be not surprised that times rise, if we get travel restrictions and many cancellations again.
Old Jul 16, 2022, 9:37 pm

Programs: HappinesSMiles Silver
My latest refund took 14 days this month.
Old Jul 21, 2022, 3:07 pm

I don't think they actually charge your card at all if you cancel within 24 hours.
Old Jul 23, 2022, 11:17 pm

Programs: AY+Plat
Originally Posted by Bdsm
Latest instructions say 30 days.
why this misinformation campaign again ?
cistavoda and ffay005 like this.
Old Jul 24, 2022, 1:32 am

Programs: AY Plat Lumo
Originally Posted by lento
why this misinformation campaign again ?
Seems like our dear Bdsm posted his excellent information at around "1:39 am" so he's probably into the salad business as well in addition to real news.
lento, r2d2 and Steve_Hun like this.
Old Jul 24, 2022, 2:54 am

Regarding immediate refund when cancelling before 24 hours have passed, you will have to call CS to void the transaction, it will not happen automatically. I have this directly from a Finnair CSR. I called too late, but asked them to "do something" and they agreed to escalate my refund process, as I told them I had maxed out my credit card (which I actually almost did, because I booked another trip with Finnair immediately upon cancelling the previous one). Let's see if the escalation speeds things up.

Snacky

Last edited by Snacky; Jul 26, 2022 at 12:58 am
Old Jul 26, 2022, 3:27 am

So, I called Finnair again to get an update on the credit card refund escalation. I happy to report that this has now been processed and my funds will be returned within 2-5 days, so a total 7-9 days in all. The CSR again told me that if I had called them immediately after cancelling the tickets online, they would have been able to void the transactions directly instead. So, the takeaway here is if you cancel within the 24 hour windows AND call them ASAP afterwards, they will not charge your card at all.

Snacky
Old Feb 10, 2024, 1:16 am
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
Any recent data points regarding refund of a flex ticket?
Would there be any difference in timing wether the cancellation and request for refund is done in app or directly to plat whatsapp?
Old Feb 10, 2024, 1:29 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AY+ Platinum, SK Gold, BAEC Silver, airbaltic VIP, Radisson VIP
Took 2 weeks recently. Cancelled via website.

AFAIK no difference on how you cancel regarding processing times.
intuition likes this.
Old Feb 10, 2024, 2:49 am

Programs: AY+Plat, ALL Plat, Scandic L2
Took a few days until processing, and then another few days until it hit the credit card. Under two weeks in total.
intuition likes this.
Old Feb 10, 2024, 11:40 am

Programs: AY Gold (OWS) TK Elite (*G)
Not flex ticket but my flight got cancelled on 22.1 in the HEL snow chaos and money was on my account 8.2 so 17 days.
intuition likes this.
Old Feb 29, 2024, 6:13 am

Programs: AY Platinum, TK Elite, BT VIP, AA, BA, SK, DL, NT, WB + hotels
Cancelled Flex ticket over the phone 27FEB. Agent said it would take approx. three weeks to get the refund.

A few hours later I got an email letting me know that the refund has been processed.

Today 29FEB the refund is back on my credit card.

(I had booked a Flex ticket to DXB with the intention of perhaps qualifying for Plat one last time by booking a few of them before the 09MAR deadline, but in the end, decided against it and booked a Super-Mega-Hyper-Light ticket instead. Tomorrow is the first day of my last year as Plat.)
Old Mar 24, 2024, 8:30 am

Originally Posted by ffay005
Cancelled Flex ticket over the phone 27FEB. Agent said it would take approx. three weeks to get the refund.

A few hours later I got an email letting me know that the refund has been processed.

Today 29FEB the refund is back on my credit card.

(I had booked a Flex ticket to DXB with the intention of perhaps qualifying for Plat one last time by booking a few of them before the 09MAR deadline, but in the end, decided against it and booked a Super-Mega-Hyper-Light ticket instead. Tomorrow is the first day of my last year as Plat.)
Thanks for sharing. To confirm then, this was a Flex fare booking and more than 24-hrs after you made the reservation --and you did it via their call center?

Asking because I have a Flex refundable ticket, and I likely will wait until 1-hr until boarding to cancel / refund it. There won't be any checked baggage, so as not to disrupt the flight itself, etc.. Just wondering if it makes more sense to tell the gate agent, fill out the form online, or call Finnair? Having it as an option in the App would be the best, but I don't see that.
Old Mar 24, 2024, 12:35 pm

Programs: BA Gold, OZ Diamond, LH Silver
Originally Posted by Maryconway
Thanks for sharing. To confirm then, this was a Flex fare booking and more than 24-hrs after you made the reservation --and you did it via their call center?

Asking because I have a Flex refundable ticket, and I likely will wait until 1-hr until boarding to cancel / refund it. There won't be any checked baggage, so as not to disrupt the flight itself, etc.. Just wondering if it makes more sense to tell the gate agent, fill out the form online, or call Finnair? Having it as an option in the App would be the best, but I don't see that.
Do you see the option to cancel on the website's Manage my booking? This is how I've cancelled plenty of Flex tickets. No need to fill out forms anymore, just click cancel and confirm. Very simple.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.