Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Finnair | Finnair Plus
Reload this Page >

Finnair from LHR and current disruptions?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 13, 2022, 8:21 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, AA PLT PRO, AGR, Strawberry (Nordic Choice), Marriott Bonvoy

Does anyone have recent experience of Finnair from LHR? What are current disruptions like, queueing times etc? (Background: LHR just announced a 100k/day passenger cap until September, and lots of BA flights are being canceled and others are showing notifications on the booking that they may be disrupted, allowing flyers to rebook within certain parameters.)

For reference I’m taking an early LHR-HEL at 0730 on 20th July and want to make sure I get to the airport early enough but not too early.
Old Jul 13, 2022, 10:11 am

Programs: AY, SK, TK
Friend at T3 reported huge issues today.
What is the mess if whole world goes dutch(ams)
Old Jul 13, 2022, 10:52 am
TTL

Programs: HH Diam, AY/AX/KQ/IHG/VISA Plat, SK/Bonvoy/Melia/Strawberry Gold, Radisson Prem, PP Prest
14th there and hopefully 18th back. Will report.
salut0 likes this.
Old Jul 13, 2022, 11:34 am

Programs: HappinesSMiles Silver
Yesterday T3 had really no issues as tier member. Check in was a breeze as the desk serves only AY. There was about 10 minute queue to get escalator upstairs. Once there went to the fast track security that had maybe 20 passengers in front. CX lounge not congested. This was around 1pm.

Normal security had massive queue - no idea how long it would've taken.
Old Jul 13, 2022, 12:47 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, AA PLT PRO, AGR, Strawberry (Nordic Choice), Marriott Bonvoy
What time do you think I should aim to be at LHR T3 in the morning? Trying to decide if I need to take HEx or if the Elizabeth Line will be okay.

I assume I should be able to do online checkin with Finnair's app and I won't have a checked bag. AA Gold status might get me through the fast security line but since I am crediting to BA and not AA I wonder whether it will work since the AA status won't be shown on the boarding pass.
Old Jul 13, 2022, 1:55 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
Did fly from LHR to HEL on Tuesday with AY1336. There was a huge queue outside T3 but that was luckily only for check-in area A (Finnair use B). Check-in opened about half an hour early and at least for status passengers ran very smoothly. Security was a huge mess. Only stairs G were in use, all others blocked. Priority security took about 15 mins but the standard one looked like it could take hours. Fortunately BA had found staff for their First Class Lounge.
Old Jul 14, 2022, 9:19 am

Programs: BAEC
Friday afternoon from T3

Flew LHR-HEL on the 18:10 flight last Friday. Arrived at T3 a bit too early at 14:45. No other customers at Finnair priority check in, perhaps 10-15 people in the other queue. No queuing to get upstairs. Took 30 mins to clear priority security. The normal security looked like it could have taken an hour or so, a long queue but moving.
Old Jul 15, 2022, 12:01 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
Are Finnair offering any free change options (that I haven't noticed yet) to/from LHR for flights in the near future (BA are)?
Or are they keeping everyone to the conditions of their tickets?
Old Jul 17, 2022, 3:28 am

Programs: AY, BT, DY and SK. Scandic, Radisson, Marriott and HHonors. ClubONE
Similar experience with LHRHEL, although yesterday, Saturday. 1h 10 minutes from the Elizabeth line platform at Paddington to the T3 CX lounge.
Old Jul 17, 2022, 5:45 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
This morning it took us about an hour to get from the Heathrow Express platform to the CX lounge. Checkin had a short (5-10) mi ute wait, with one desk open, Note we were there about 09:10 for the 13:35 departure. Finnair checkin is hidden away in the corner of zone B, while the only open escalator up is at the other end of the checkin area (zone F).
At the top of the escalator the lines divide into fast track and slow track. Fast track had us waiting for about 30 minutes. Try not to get directed to the leftmost fast track channel through a doorway because it is a re-allocated slow track channel and it empties out into the duty free maze that you usually avoid with fast track.
Still, overall, this was not awful. Allow some extra time, but the 4+ hours we had was overkill.

CX lounge as good as ever, though very busy this morning with AA passengers until about 11:30.

Update: bags also loaded ok at LHR, transferred at HEL, delivered OK at destination.

Last edited by flatlander; Jul 18, 2022 at 6:41 am Reason: bags info
Old Jul 18, 2022, 9:35 am
TTL

Programs: HH Diam, AY/AX/KQ/IHG/VISA Plat, SK/Bonvoy/Melia/Strawberry Gold, Radisson Prem, PP Prest
18.07.2022 7:10 HEX from Paddington, LHR central 7:30. Just carry-on along, so no queuing to check-in - priority line seemed deserted. Quite a jungle with tensa-barriers to move on in the second floor and not every escalator were running. Fast-track queuing started 7:45. Passed (with secondary check-up - only one bag before mine) at 8:10. And in CX 1st lounge 8:20. Not bad. Also the fully packed AY1332 was pulled back 10:20 sharp, departed 10:33 and landed ahead of schedule 14.54. Warm meal consisted of pulled beef lasagna and a few salads. About the lounge, seems that the AA folks have discovered something new and there was hardly a free seat available...
Old Jul 20, 2022, 3:19 am

Programs: BA Gold (and other non-status plastic)
Finnair has closed booking for LHR flights for the rest of summer (wonder how much is to do with BA more than halving its Nordic schedule and re-booking everyone onto AY...)

mpkz likes this.
Old Jul 20, 2022, 3:27 am

Programs: AY+ Platinum / FlyingBlue Gold
Originally Posted by kt74
Finnair has closed booking for LHR flights for the rest of summer (wonder how much is to do with BA more than halving its Nordic schedule and re-booking everyone onto AY...)

https://twitter.com/aeroroutes/statu...u-Vfbn3usmZ9zQ
Wait, so also TO LHR? I can still see those flights bookable
Old Jul 20, 2022, 3:45 am

Programs: BA Gold (and other non-status plastic)
Originally Posted by EuroFlash
Wait, so also TO LHR? I can still see those flights bookable
Read the tweet... You can book to LHR, but you can't return...
"Helsinki departure is not accepting new booking until 31JUL22, London Heathrow until 11SEP22."
Old Jul 20, 2022, 8:38 am

Programs: AY+ (Emerald), OZ (*G), IHG (Diamond)
Unhappy AY Cancelling Bookings?

Hi, just saw this on twitter, anyone knows what's going on? will AY be reducing flights but using bigger planes to accommodate cancelling pax?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.