Community
Wiki Posts
Search

FRA-HEL zeroed out this Friday

Search this Thread

Old Jul 5, 2022, 3:24 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver (OWS), OZ Diamond (*G), TK Elite (*G), HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
FRA-HEL zeroed out this Friday

So I'm supposed to fly FRA-HEL this Friday. Noticed both AY 1412 and 1416 are zeroed out. Pulled the seat maps on EF and noticed less than half of J seats had been assigned let alone in Y.

Is AY dumping the Friday flights or is the route really that full? Seems that the LH flights have plenty of room in Y still so seems really weird.
Old Jul 5, 2022, 3:26 pm

Programs: AY Platinum, TK Elite, BT VIP, AA, BA, SK, DL, NT, WB + hotels
Forget seat maps as most people should pay for a seat assignment, which they don't do.

Did you check HEL-FRA? If those are on sale, the flights should operate. If those are zeroed out, too, it sounds like CXL.
lkrt and AnttiV like this.
Old Jul 5, 2022, 10:27 pm

Programs: AY+, SK EB
Originally Posted by ffay005
Did you check HEL-FRA? If those are on sale, the flights should operate. If those are zeroed out, too, it sounds like CXL.
I wouldn‘t assume nowadays that zeroed out flights are not operated. At least for now with AY. I noticed the same end of June with FRA, and flights were operated.
AnttiV likes this.
Old Jul 5, 2022, 10:28 pm

Programs: BA Gold, OZ Diamond, LH Silver
As Lufthansa has stopped selling all but Y and J tickets there is a good chance Finnair will be flying very full flights to/from Germany in the near future.

Flyertalk Lufthansa
AnttiV and SPBanker like this.
Old Jul 6, 2022, 3:24 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver (OWS), OZ Diamond (*G), TK Elite (*G), HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by ffay005
Forget seat maps as most people should pay for a seat assignment, which they don't do.

Good point. Seems like the inbounds are still on sale so I guess it's fairly safe to assume they are just simply sold out. Thanks all.

As J class pax get free seat selection at least I found it a tad weird that about 50% of the seats still show as available on the seat map. Then again it's not like there's a huge difference in J seats on intra EU flights...
Old Jul 6, 2022, 3:34 am

Programs: AY Plat (OWE), SK EBG (*A Gold), KQ Plat (STE+), Accor Plat
Originally Posted by AnttiV
As J class pax get free seat selection at least I found it a tad weird that about 50% of the seats still show as available on the seat map. Then again it's not like there's a huge difference in J seats on intra EU flights...
They don’t get free seat assignments. Additionally, I’d assume there’s a certain pattern under which J is zeroed out if Y is x pax oversold.
Old Jul 6, 2022, 3:36 am

Programs: AY, M&M, BAEC ...and don t care of status anymore
Originally Posted by AnttiV
Good point. Seems like the inbounds are still on sale so I guess it's fairly safe to assume they are just simply sold out. Thanks all.

AY likes to oversell, so free J seats not mean much.
Old Jul 6, 2022, 4:30 am

Programs: Finnair (AY) Platinum, Air France Silver, Tallink Club One Silver :)
Originally Posted by Ed Size
It is not AY, it is the airline industry.
Old Jul 6, 2022, 6:29 am

Programs: AY, M&M, BAEC ...and don t care of status anymore
Originally Posted by Steve_Hun
It is not AY, it is the airline industry.
And AY is not part of that?

As far as I witnessed some airlines do it more, and AY is defently one of the airlines taking this to the max. But hey its always OK to sell a product you don t have, specially if the customer have to pay in advance. Its funny how much tolerance is there for bad behavior, If I would sell you something I don t have you would bring that case to court, and not saying "thats normal, everyone do so".
Old Jul 6, 2022, 7:02 am

Programs: AY Plat Lumo, SK Gold
But hey its always OK to sell a product you don t have, specially if the customer have to pay in advance.
With EC261, there are always pax who are happy to get bumped from an oversold flight (and get compensated).
Old Jul 6, 2022, 7:16 am

Programs: AY+, SK EB
Definitely they like to oversell. It is a status perk to get a seat on a sold out flight and pay whatever it takes to get on this flight.
Old Jul 6, 2022, 10:04 am

Programs: AY+Plat, ALL Plat, Scandic L2
I have rarely seen Finnair flights being oversold properly speaking. I have seen overbooking (often to my advantage as I tend to get opupped), but that does not necessarily mean oversell - it can simply mean that some distressed passengers were booked on already full flights or that equipment was unexpectedly changed for smaller capacity.

Do you base your assertion that Finnair likes to oversell on anything concrete?
Old Jul 6, 2022, 10:55 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AY+ Platinum, BAEC Silver, airbaltic VIP, HH Diamond, Radisson VIP, IHG Diamond Elite
Originally Posted by Courmisch
I have rarely seen Finnair flights being oversold properly speaking. I have seen overbooking (often to my advantage as I tend to get opupped), but that does not necessarily mean oversell - it can simply mean that some distressed passengers were booked on already full flights or that equipment was unexpectedly changed for smaller capacity.

Do you base your assertion that Finnair likes to oversell on anything concrete?
TLL regularly is oversold.
Tuvv likes this.
Old Jul 6, 2022, 3:44 pm

Programs: AY LUMO
Originally Posted by Courmisch
I have rarely seen Finnair flights being oversold properly speaking.
How and where You see if AY flight is oversold?
Old Jul 7, 2022, 2:12 pm

Programs: AY+Plat, ALL Plat, Scandic L2
Originally Posted by OH-LGG
How and where You see if AY flight is oversold?
But that's exactly my point: if we have no numbers to look at, or better yet, compare with other airlines, then we can't affirm that Finnair oversells a lot or not.

Except when Finnair explicitly announces that the flight is overbooked, you don't know.

With that said, if your flight has been down-gauged, you will probably know. If your itinerary has been disrupted and you got wait-listed on a flight, you will probably know.

Also if your flight was overbooked due to some other rerouted passengers, you might be able to guess. For instance, I was gate-upgraded to J on HEL-PEK during the typhoon Jebi. There just so happened to be staff with signs for transit passengers to OSA at our arrival in PEK. I don't think that those were coincidences.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.