Cancelled AMS-HEL - options?

Old Jul 3, 22, 5:01 am

Programs: HappinesSMiles Silver
Originally Posted by TTL View Post
Checking from flightradar, the return legs AY1302 seem to have been considerably delayed lately. Anyone has hands-on experience on how the thing proceed at Schiphol? How early to get there, and if there is any help from priority boarding pass (AY biz + status)? In beginning of June, there were no delays like today. I suppose the problem will persist for weeks and will have my next flights there in beginning of Aug.
Yesterday my non status friend queued 2 hours for the security. Flight ended up being delayed much more than that.
TTL likes this.
Old Jul 3, 22, 5:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
Originally Posted by Courmisch View Post
This will surprise exactly no one but absolutely avoid AMS at the moment.
... and FRA and LHR and ARN and ...

I have HEL, ZAG, ZAD, SOF on my plate this month, hoping for normalcy there.
Old Jul 3, 22, 6:21 am

Checking from flightradar, the return legs AY1302 seem to have been considerably delayed lately. Anyone has hands-on experience on how the thing proceed at Schiphol? How early to get there, and if there is any help from priority boarding pass (AY biz + status)? In beginning of June, there were no delays like today. I suppose the problem will persist for weeks and will have my next flights there in beginning of Aug.
Use the SkyPriority security with AY priority. 2 hours enough with priority.
TTL likes this.
Old Jul 3, 22, 7:04 am

Programs: AY+Plat, ALL Gold, Scandic L2
Originally Posted by WilcoRoger View Post
And CDG now has a ground staff strike. The situation was already pretty bad when Finnair was (again) relocated to 2F, but it should return to 2B/2D any day now.
Old Jul 4, 22, 6:35 am

Programs: Emirates Gold, Vistara Gold, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat Ambassador, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold
My wife and I are flying AMS-HEL-DEL in Business tomorrow on AY1302+AY121 on Alaska Airlines redemption tickets. If we misconnect at HEL due to a delay with AY1302, will Finnair rebook us for the next day and cover hotel considering we're on partner redemption tickets?
Old Jul 4, 22, 6:42 am

Programs: AY GUEST
AMS nightmare continues

Old Jul 4, 22, 1:16 pm

Programs: AY Platinum, TK Elite, AA, BA, SK, DL, NT, WB + hotels
Originally Posted by Anish View Post
My wife and I are flying AMS-HEL-DEL in Business tomorrow on AY1302+AY121 on Alaska Airlines redemption tickets. If we misconnect at HEL due to a delay with AY1302, will Finnair rebook us for the next day and cover hotel considering we're on partner redemption tickets?
Yes, if you are on one ticket.
Anish likes this.
Old Jul 6, 22, 5:07 am
Ambassador: Finnair Plus
Hilton 5+ BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: AY+ Plat, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist, Priority Club Plat Amb, Miles and Smiles Elite
Originally Posted by WilcoRoger View Post

I have HEL, ZAG, ZAD, SOF on my plate this month, hoping for normalcy there.
Starting June 26 I had eight flights in eight days. Never did the line for security last for more than 10 minutes, even if non-priority line.

HEL, ORD, DCA, PDX, DFW, LHR, ATH, IST.

LHR was transit in T5 at 6.10 am, though.
remymartin and mpkz like this.
Old Jul 6, 22, 12:10 pm

Programs: Hilton Honors, SPG, BA GOLD
Originally Posted by timcjp View Post
Hi

I’m booked AMS-HEL-BKK return in business class at the end of July, and few days ago received notification my AMS-HEL flight was cancelled and I’m rebooked on the earlier flight that day, which now gives me a 10 hour wait at HEL for the BKK flight which I would prefer to avoid.

I’ve been trying to get through to customer services but haven’t managed as yet but wanted to check when I do whether either of these options would be workable?

1 - Switch the starting city from AMS to LHR (ideally for both start and end but even if just starting city that would be better for me)

2 - Remove the AMS-HEL legs completely and just have HEL-BKK flights.

Appreciate ordinarily this would push the price up but because of the cancellation thought it might be something they would consider?
Issued 24th June 2022

Schipol Airport announced "If fewer travellers can fly on any given day, the independent slot coordinator (ACNL) will determine distribution, and airlines will decide how to tackle that. They will do everything they can to keep consequences for travellers to a minimum,”

"ACNL will book as many passengers as possible, reschedule flights to other airports and stop selling seats. However, some flights will still have to be cancelled anyway.

The statement also stressed that it is not yet known how many flights will be affected by this measure, adding that in the weeks in July, there are 13,500 seats per day on average, which is too much for the existing security personnel to deal with."

I had a morning AMS-HEL flight with a connection which was zeroed out for some considerable time and was very concerned about cancellation but it turned out to be the afternoon flight that was cancelled and passengers transferred over. Hope that offers some explanation to the background to the cancellations.

At least the Lounges are decent in HEL.
Old Jul 8, 22, 1:08 am

Programs: AY Platinum (Lifetime Gold), HH Diamond, Hertz President's Circle
Data point 08JUL: Regular security lines complete madness. However, priority security was a breeze ~15 mins. They checked your ticket you can arrive only 4 hours prior to departure of your flight. Strong suggestion to travel HBO - baggage claim area was full of suitcases when I arrived earlier this week.
Steve_Hun likes this.
Old Jul 8, 22, 1:57 am

Programs: Finnair (AY) Platinum, Air France Silver, Tallink Club One Silver :)
Originally Posted by FinOWE View Post
Data point 08JUL: Regular security lines complete madness. However, priority security was a breeze ~15 mins. They checked your ticket you can arrive only 4 hours prior to departure of your flight. Strong suggestion to travel HBO - baggage claim area was full of suitcases when I arrived earlier this week.
I've seen pictures with long queues outside of AMS airport to get in. Can you skip that queue with priority boarding pass, or you need to wait there with everyone else?
Old Jul 8, 22, 2:28 am

Programs: AY Platinum (Lifetime Gold), HH Diamond, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by Steve_Hun View Post
I've seen pictures with long queues outside of AMS airport to get in. Can you skip that queue with priority boarding pass, or you need to wait there with everyone else?
Same queue were outside of AMS airport also today. I stayed overnight at AMS Hilton so did not have to go outside of airport at all. However, I believe you need to wait on outside queue if you arrive e.g. by taxi. Returning rental car or arriving by train will get you "inside the airport" and I recommend these options to skip outside queue.
Steve_Hun likes this.
Old Jul 8, 22, 3:09 am

Programs: AY+
ĖĖCan you skip that queue with priority boarding pass, or you need to wait there with everyone else?
Originally Posted by FinOWE View Post
I believe you need to wait on outside queue if you arrive e.g. by taxi. Returning rental car or arriving by train will get you "inside the airport" and I recommend these options to skip outside queue.
What FinOWE said. Last Sunday no issues whatsoever, took the train to the airport. Regular queue was total madness but through the prio line in ca 10 mins
Steve_Hun likes this.
Old Jul 8, 22, 4:43 am

Programs: Finnair (AY) Platinum, Air France Silver, Tallink Club One Silver :)
I'll be arriving to AMS by train from The Hague, so in that case no need to queue outside of the airport. Thanks for this info!
FinOWE and Olperoo like this.
Old Jul 8, 22, 9:46 am

Programs: AY+Plat, ALL Gold, Scandic L2
I'll be arriving to AMS by train from The Hague, so in that case no need to queue outside of the airport. Thanks for this info!
I don't think that that's correct. That would be way too easy.

I arrived by the ibis hotels shuttle bus, right by the railway station. From there, you will get to the arrival floor and then up to the departure floor inside, sure. But you'll still have to get to the end of the line, wherever that happens to be at that moment.

AFAICT, the only way to cut the line is with security priority.

And then, if tons of non-priority passengers are stuck on the queue, your flight will be delayed, even if you are at the gate.

So really, the proper advice is to keep off of AMS.

Search this Thread